Grado flat donuts?
Jul 7, 2002 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
hey
I have some questions on the flat donuts im currently using the regular donuts on my SR-225's (which i love) and find them a little uncomforatble but really not that bad at all. I was wondering if the flat pads offer more than just a little more comfort? if there are sonical differences how much of a difference is it and what is it? also is it possible to buy these anymore? if so, where?
Thanks,
chris

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 16
Flat pads are no longer available, but you can mod your current donut/bowl pads into flat pads.

On a personal note, I have modded my donuts into flats before; can't say they're more comfy. But the sound quality definitely took a dive.

Soundstage and depth were significantly decreased; less 'brightness' (some would say more warmth). These are features I treasure most about the Grado sound, so I threw the modded pads away after two months. Others seem to prefer the 'flat' sound, so it's really a matter of preference rather than absolute 'quality' or lack of.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 16
Man, if only they still sold the bowl pads, those are awesome, i have a pair and use them on any Grado can i'm using at the moment.

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 16
The bowl pads are just ok for comfort, they are a bit of a pain in the ass...i have big ears.

As for sound, i use them with my SR60's and they sound very spacious and well, bright. Everything sounds really crisp, but its not something i could wear for over 30 mins.

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 16
These bowl pads totally suck. They sound impressive for the first 10 minutes until you realize the lower treble simply rips your ears off as you brace yourself for each upcoming vocal sibilant or cymbal hit.

Sure, the soundstage gets bigger but you get the same effect by pulling the earpieces half an inch away from each ear...lack of bass and annoying brightness.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 16
You can somewhat achieve the effect of the flat pads if you have the bowl pads by pressing them against your head while you're listening to them to get the diaphragm closer to your ears. The difference between the bowls and flats is that the bowls set the headphones slightly further away from your ears than the flats. The sound is warmer with more mid presence, but it all sounds a bit muddier and the treble loses its crispness (I won't say sharpness or sibiliance because I don't think these are accurate descriptions.)

Quote:

They sound impressive for the first 10 minutes until you realize the lower treble simply rips your ears off as you brace yourself for each upcoming vocal sibilant or cymbal hit.

I think that some people may perceive Grados with bowls as bright because they turn their volume knobs too high. I read somewhere that as volume increases, human ears perceive more treble, and as volume decreases, our ears perceive less of it. I tend to listen to music at moderate to low volumes and I don't find the bowl pads over bright or piercing at all. Try toning it down a bit and see if that high-end sharpness doesn't smoothen out.

Jul 7, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 16
BoardC3
there is one more way of getting the flat pad effect. Remove them off the cans and place them under some heavy book to compress them. The first few times u do this the pads regain their original shape but after repeatedly compressing them the pads loose this ability to bounce back.
Another way is to replace the bowl pads with SR-60 comfy pads. Some people say that these sound muffled unless u cut out the center part of the comfy pad
cheers
RawHit

Jul 7, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 16
I use the comfy pads on my SR-80's. The regular bowl pads are just too uncomfortable. The bass does get a bit more punchy/muddy/full - meaning depending on what you're listening to the bass can improve or degrade. Treble is slightly softened (I haven't cut the dime size holes yet, if ever). "Air" is not affected that much, but it's apparent if you switch back and forth.

Grado just needs to make the bowl pads with the comfy pad material. The stiff foam they use now for the bowls terrible.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
I think that some people may perceive Grados with bowls as bright because they turn their volume knobs too high. I read somewhere that as volume increases, human ears perceive more treble, and as volume decreases, our ears perceive less of it. I tend to listen to music at moderate to low volumes and I don't find the bowl pads over bright or piercing at all. Try toning it down a bit and see if that high-end sharpness doesn't smoothen out.

For me, it's actually worse at lower volumes. I find that very often with headphones that are initially bright, the ear can adjust to the brightness and it eventually blends in with the rest of the spectrum.

Not so with these bowl pads. The brightness starts to grate and continues to do so. Scary to think Grado modified their wonderful, warm, musical headphones to sound like Porta Pros.

When I go back to listen to the HD600 or the K501, I realize this grating lower treble/sibilant emphasis is all WRONG.

Jul 10, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 16
I just got the rs1's with the bowl pads. If I don't find them uncomfortable is there any reason I should switch pads to the comfy ones or make them into flats?

Biggie.

Jul 10, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 16
Hrrm my friend has the comfies on his sr-60's. I'll ask him if I can burrow them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back