Grado Fan Club!
Oct 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #9,933 of 65,468

The GS1000 (not the "i" model) that I had, was nothing short of amazing.  I didn't play classical music through it, but plenty of jazz.  This original GS1000 was supposed to have a larger sound stage than the GS-1000i model.  I had never read this until I sold the GS-1000.  However, after seeing those comments by a few members, I can attest that the soundstage is really, really wide.   Its tone is somewhat light in the bass region, but it's not anemic when it comes to bass either.  I think I'd prefer the standard GS-1000 over the newer "i" because the sound stage on the newer model is not as wide.  Also, from what I've read, I'd most likely prefer the GS-1000 over the PS-1000, too.  I've taken in a few comments that the PS-1000 with the aluminum cups can be a bit heavy (keeping in mind that the cups in the mushroom form, are larger than those used in the PS-500.)  Also, other comment's I've heard were that it might have a bit more upper end "tizz" than I'd care for.  I really need to hear the PS-1000 so I can apply and capture some opinions of my own, though, instead of sharing my readings on that model.

You can find a GS-1000 in the $600 range.  I think the last one I saw, didn't have the original box, which might have meant that it was missing the 15' Grado extension cable and the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, too.  I guess I feel for a headphone in that league (it was their flagship until the PS-1000 came along), I'd expect the factory box and accessories with it, too.

For some reason I can't use the quote function with my laptop, but this post is in response to wje's.

I have the non ''i'' version of the GS1000, and as I have said before, I think that they have THE widest soundstage of any headphones that Grado has ever made. But, they're is a price to pay for that big soundstage, and it's resessed mids, John Grados once said. you can't have a big soundstage and midrange proximity. Regarding their bass extension, I find it adequate, in fact, In my opinion, the only Grados currently produced that have more bass extension, are the PS500, GS1000i and the PS1000. As for treble, it is very extended and can be a little overbearing with some brighter recordings.

In the end, I think that it's always a question of synergy, that's why I always take other peoples opinion with a grain of salt, and I invite them to do the same with mine, they're are simply too many variables, (different hearing, sound systems, recordings, tastes                                                                           ), to pull any definitive conclusions about headphones or any other components.

Thanks for your impressions guys. I think I'll wait for a good deal
ph34r.gif
to come around, definitely leaning more towards the Rs1 than the GS1000 or Beyer T1 atm...

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #9,936 of 65,468
I will try to get some pictures of my SR-60 posted this evening too.  The drivers look exactly like the picture that was posted by Wormsdriver, though.  I applied about 6 more hours of listening time through the night on them, too.  There was just something gorgeous about the sounds of female vocals.  I have the SR-60 along at work today and will be using it connected to my iPod classic for more enjoyment.  I don't have my Fiio Monte Blanc along as it is at home.

Going into the weekend, I want to spend time with the SR-60 and my RS1i in order to document some varying differences between the two.

Additionally, the headphones from the era of the pink drivers also featured:

- At the top of the curve where the gimbal connects to the silver rod, there are not any oval areas where there is a slight protrusion.  On the newer models, these smaller raised oval areas are present.

- On the older SR flavor of Grados, the headband is vinyl like the new ones.  However, there appears to be actual stiching on it as opposed to "stamped" fake stitching like on the newer heabands.  Also, this older flavor has a thin piece of foam inside to make it a bit more cushy.  Not a lot of foam, but a small amount which is better than the current bands.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #9,937 of 65,468
  Checked the order queue at MAD, and my Ear+HD was shipped today, hopefully I'll get it in about a week!

I can not wait to hear what you think of this amp.

Please post some pics of it when it arrives.....it is going to be beautiful, to say the least.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #9,938 of 65,468
  I will try to get some pictures of my SR-60 posted this evening too.  The drivers look exactly like the picture that was posted by Wormsdriver, though.  I applied about 6 more hours of listening time through the night on them, too.  There was just something gorgeous about the sounds of female vocals.  I have the SR-60 along at work today and will be using it connected to my iPod classic for more enjoyment.  I don't have my Fiio Monte Blanc along as it is at home.

Going into the weekend, I want to spend time with the SR-60 and my RS1i in order to document some varying differences between the two.

- At the top of the curve where the gimbal connects to the silver rod, there are not any oval areas where there is a slight protrusion.  On the newer models, these smaller raised oval areas are present.

- On the older SR flavor of Grados, the headband is vinyl like the new ones.  However, there appears to be actual stiching on it as opposed to "stamped" fake stitching like on the newer heabands.  Also, this older flavor has a thin piece of foam inside to make it a bit more cushy.  Not a lot of foam, but a small amount which is better than the current bands.

Curious to hear your impressions between the 60's and RS's.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #9,939 of 65,468
  Checked the order queue at MAD, and my Ear+HD was shipped today, hopefully I'll get it in about a week!

Congratulations. Great amp for Grados.
What tubes are you planning to use

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #9,942 of 65,468
W

What a great find Wje...my SR80 pinks have the same distinguishing characteristics...

I agree that the sound signature is definitely different, and very pleasant. I thought of selling them, then pulled back. I think of givin them wood cups too, but also can't bring myself to tear them apart. Mine were a lucky eBay find for $75. Worth every penny.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #9,943 of 65,468
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #9,944 of 65,468
Hello everyone. I've had the sr325i's for a couple of years now and really love them. I avoided the forums because I didn't want to cave into upgraditis without disposable income. Now that I have some.. I was wondering, what would be the next Grado's headphone to get in keeping with the sound signature of the 325?

I mainly listen to metal with a small amount of classical and soundtrack.

Currently using the xonar essence stx but thinking about upgrading to a woo audio wa7 firefly.

I've been reading threads like this one http://www.head-fi.org/t/442125/what-i-think-gs1000-vs-rs1-vs-rs2-and-vs-sr80/15, and it seems the RS1 would be a nice upgrade to the 325. Would that be a common opinion?

Thanks in advanced for any suggestion and input.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back