Grado Fan Club!
Apr 3, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,191 of 65,063

My barometer for hype is a simple formula leading up to my own actual audition (assuming I can get my hands on it!)

Head-Fi Hype versus *at least* 2 or 3 reputable audio review sources that may include 6 Moons, What HiFi etc (yes, those guys even though they
 get it real wrong sometimes)

Unless there is some smooth continuity of praise across both Head-Fi and those external sources - my cynicism props right up and I'll look
 into it more carefully, very carefully.

More so than praise - look for matches between the pros and cons laid out by the reviews - if there are huge disparities there - then chances are different sources
 and ears are handing over a really different picture,.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #2,192 of 65,063
Quote:
What are some noticeable differences between the PS1Ks and the GS1Ks?  Just curious as I heard the GS1000is before I bought them and fell in love with the sound, beautifully detailed, huge sound stage and a nice mid range.  I never got to try the PS1000s, wondering what I am missing.

Don't worry, you're not missing much. I had my PS1000 for about a month, and decided to let it go since I didn't want to keep such similar sounding cans around ie PS1000 & GS1000i. IIRC, the PS1000 brings the midrange closer so that it's not as distant as the GS1000i, and the bass of the PS1000 is a touch more powerful. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,193 of 65,063

Quote:
What are some noticeable differences between the PS1Ks and the GS1Ks?  Just curious as I heard the GS1000is before I bought them and fell in love with the sound, beautifully detailed, huge sound stage and a nice mid range.  I never got to try the PS1000s, wondering what I am missing

First i think that sometimes there's confusion about the GS-1000,the first generarion wich came out in 2006 and lasted until 2009,had a wider soundstage,a more recessed midrange,and in my opinion a bit less bass,than the GS-1000i that debuted in 2009.

As far as the differences between the GS1Ki and the PS1K go,thanks to my very understandig dealer,i had the chance to compare at the same time, my own GS-1000,some GS-1000i,PS1000 and Senns HD-800.

Please take the following opinions with a grain of salt,as i have written before,there are many factors that come in to play in our hobby,that will generate very different opinions about the same component,different sound system,musical taste,even our hearing,that's why i believe that there is no absolute,just a gray area.

The GS-1000,as mention before have a recessed midrange and a wider soundstage than the othes in this group,i tought about selling mine when i got my PS-1000,but i just can't do it,i use them to listen to DVD concerts or anything that was recorded in a large venue.

The GS-1000i sound much more like the PS-1000 than the first gen GS1K,the soundstage and the mids are similar,the PS1K has a bit deeper and better controlled bass,and the highs sound slightly clearer with a little more air on the PS-1000.

The HD-800,sounded very nice with a smooth and detailed sound,the soundstage is similar to the GS1Ki and the PS1K,The PS1K gets the nod for the bass,with a bit better extension and control,the mids are pretty much a tie,and i feel they're the 800's strong point,the highs altough very detailed and extended,lack the ''air''  that the PS1K can provide.

In response to another post,it's no surprise that the return on investment goes down,as the price goes up,flagship headphones generally cost a lot more than they're following models,and usually sound slightly better,and sometimes,because of the many variables that come in to play,someone might get better synergy with a lower costing model.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2,194 of 65,063
I just got my SR225i, which was preceded by (the amazing) Schiit Asgard. The DT990s sounded nice with electronic and beautiful with jazz, but lacked almost all energy with all my rock, metal, alternative, and similar genres. Well, I never was a SUPER big fan of metal in particular, but now, I am proud to say that I LOVE it! Grados have allowed me to enjoy my aggressive (non electronic) music more than ever before! With the mids now returned, and the fast-paced forward nature of these cans, rock and metal has more energy than I've ever experienced in the past. Once a Grado fan, always a Grado fan!

Anyway, there's my shpeal, lol. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,195 of 65,063

Quote:
I just got my SR225i, which was preceded by (the amazing) Schiit Asgard. The DT990s sounded nice with electronic and beautiful with jazz, but lacked almost all energy with all my rock, metal, alternative, and similar genres. Well, I never was a SUPER big fan of metal in particular, but now, I am proud to say that I LOVE it! Grados have allowed me to enjoy my aggressive (non electronic) music more than ever before! With the mids now returned, and the fast-paced forward nature of these cans, rock and metal has more energy than I've ever experienced in the past. Once a Grado fan, always a Grado fan!

Anyway, there's my shpeal, lol. 

listen to the doors with grados my friend..

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #2,199 of 65,063
Power metal is so freaking lame. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,200 of 65,063
Ive always like the grado sound but not so much the comfort.  Having said that I have a pair of 325Ii headphones on the way,  and I can't wait to get them!

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,203 of 65,063
Nope. All power metal is highly annoying. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #2,205 of 65,063

Quote:
I only have the SR80i and love these cans for most of my music tastes. They are extremely comfortable and not fatiguing at all.
Especially listening to some Dire Straits albums
Wow

Have you ever used them for movies? I'm on a kick of suggesting that lately since it's been so much fun. When I hit the sack, I take my Kindle Fire and my SR80s and watch an episode of Sons of Anarchy (the sounds of the bikes are UNREAL on these headphones) or a movie. It's a total blast, cause you hear every single detail in the soundtrack and the dialogue is crystal clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back