Grado Fan Club!
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #56,926 of 65,455
I stripped off the braiding of my sr225X as from the "Y". This is so much better. IMO Grado should better terminate their HPs this way. It gives added protection and less prone to cup twists above the "Y" and easy cable management below the "Y". The now more exposed cable part is also not slippery compared to previous gen.
Looks better, the outer braid has no benefit and just hinders the use. Bet your glad you removed it now 👍

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #56,927 of 65,455
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #56,928 of 65,455
Home office setup for today:
- Ipod touch last gen
- Cayin C9 in power amp mode
- Grado...of course :) sr225x

Attachments

• Home office.jpg
    Home office.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #56,929 of 65,455
The GS3000x is quite spectacular, had a good 6 hours with them yesterday and then 3 hours this morning. They're certainly a little different to the GS3000e, there is added warmth which elevates the whole experience and I think puts them into a place where they sound good with everything (at least everything I've tried so far), I love the e's but I didn't like everything on them. I did get the Meze Liric delivered yesterday as well (first pair had a dodgy left driver, these two purchases were cursed :p) so want to give them some love however not at a point where I want to take the X's off my ears yet!

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #56,930 of 65,455
Now here is one hell of a headphone / amplifier combination (Grado RS-1x / Icon Audio HP8 MK-II):
8543CE71-DF84-4864-ABF6-3A8135947A58.jpeg
With further careful (and carefree!) listening, I am finding that the Dekoni fenestrated pads expand the soundstage just as do the G-cushions. But, the Dekoni imaging is more precise, less diffuse than that of the G-cushions. Plus, the delineation of front-to-back depth (if in a recording) is quite clearer with the Dekonis than with the G-cushions. Me: 😀🤪😀.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #56,932 of 65,455
I absolutely love my 225x they have about 100 hours on them and I could not be happier. I'm so happy I think I need another pair of Grados. What is the next logical upgrade from the 225x? I would like to go as high as I can in the line without needing to add an DAP or amp. I primarily listen to Thrll Kill Kult and Pink Floyd from an Android tablet.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #56,934 of 65,455
They're all 32ohm so none of them really NEED an amp unless you want to give it some extra sound coloration. From the 225x it'd probably be into the RS1/2 line for the wood sound.
Sensitivity has nothing to do with the impedance of the headphone. And while Grados do sound good from a phone too, they show what's before them. Includung power delivery, cables, DAC, amp...why wouldn't they? There is no resolution filter built in these phones. Actually, the opposite...they are really-really transparent.

It is really sad to hear such oversimplifications and half-thruths over and over about Grado headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #56,935 of 65,455
Got my Grado G-Cush pads today, finally. The address was screwed up, by me I guess, and didn't have the apt. # on it.
Anyway, very happy to get them! Although my knock-offs looked much nicer than these:
20221014_165132.jpg20221014_164908.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #56,936 of 65,455
Just completed the Beautifulaudio Grado cable adapter mod! It was super easy for my first time soldering. I just kind of went at it with my preconception of what soldering was and it went perfectly. No more stinky cable pulling at my facial hair :). Silvian was super helpful throughout the entire process and addressed all of my questions and concerns.

I could not recommend this more. Beginner friendly, and a great quality of life improvement over the stock cable.
ehVww3d.jpeg
M151eOd.jpeg
4cRFTZ7.jpeg
Silvian from BA is always sooo helpful - no matter your question🙏

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #56,937 of 65,455
Sensitivity has nothing to do with the impedance of the headphone. And while Grados do sound good from a phone too, they show what's before them. Includung power delivery, cables, DAC, amp...why wouldn't they? There is no resolution filter built in these phones. Actually, the opposite...they are really-really transparent.

It is really sad to hear such oversimplifications and half-thruths over and over about Grado headphones.
The sadder part is people peddling BS because they don't understand the mechanics of a piece of hardware. Impedance is resistance, meaning it takes more power from the source to get the driver to move. That's why you're not running a 600ohm headphone off of an iPod. The sensitivity isn't a terribly useful measurement because of fluctuations in how it's gauged and even then Grados are marked around 100dB which is bang-on standard for even consumer headphones.

The fact that you listed "power delivery" separate from DAC and amp means you're either throwing around buzzwords haphazardly with no idea what they mean or you're actually suggesting that the literal electrical power source can somehow affect the sound which means you've gone so far down the snake oil rabbit hole there's no saving you.

Believe what you want, but don't make other people waste THEIR money on gear they literally will see no benefit from just because YOU love the placebo effect.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #56,938 of 65,455
They're all 32ohm so none of them really NEED an amp unless you want to give it some extra sound coloration. From the 225x it'd probably be into the RS1/2 line for the wood sound.
Grados, like any other high-end headphone, DO benefit a lot from an amp. They sound good out of an iPhone but sound great out of a dedicated amp.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #56,939 of 65,455
To all you Grado aficionados ...those with deep pockets for a bit of extra fun (or otherwise no discrimination if you got the cash as these are excellent too,)
Try some 80x! ...my favourites are ps500e but I love these little babys , super light super comfortable and sound great for the small price paid.
I use these for messing around, housework, DIY, down the beach , just messing around without worrying about the headphone they stay on pretty good too , well for me anyway.
Try them you won't be disappointed.
+ 1. This is how I use the 80i’s😜

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #56,940 of 65,455
Hey y’all!

Big Grado fan here. I currently own 7 sets - 8th one on the way lol. And that’s why I’m posting here. I purchased a set of Grado RS-2 (button version) with a busted driver. I’m a pretty handy DIY’er. I’ve done the removable cable mod on an OG SR325 (it was in my earlier days… and the job was far from great, but they still work and sound good to my ears! Lol). I have a few questions:

* Has anyone done a removable cable mod on the vintage RS-2 button?
* Is there room for a mini XLR or should I stick with something smaller like 2.5?
* any good recs on where to get replacement drivers? Would like to have it as close to the Grado house sound as possible. I found these: https://earphonediylabs.com/shop/he...-ms-pro-compatible-driver-units-1-pair-2-pcs/ - but I’m wondering if there are other options that are better.

Another option…. I’m highly considering is just paying the money to get then repaired by Grado. I was quoted $150 to repair it + the new version of their cable. Also - a part of me doesn’t want to botch this job and ruin a piece of audiophile history :) man…. I love doing the removable cable mod on Grados….

Any help would be great! Also - totally down to geek on Grados with y’all! I’ve been really digging my Grados with ZMF pads lately - so comfy, tames the highs a bit and widens the soundstage as well.
ZMF pads?

which ZMF pad are people liking on Grado 325is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back