Grado Fan Club!
May 6, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #52,713 of 65,050
Indeed - just ordered 2 new headbands for my GS2k and RS1X:gs1000smile:
Just bought a used set of Hemps. The optional extra's were a set of pads and a turbulent headband in teal. I chose stock. I did wonder about the pads, but I want to try them stock.

May 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #52,714 of 65,050
My second from the top favorite Grado can...

z.jpg

May 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #52,715 of 65,050
Just bought a used set of Hemps. The optional extra's were a set of pads and a turbulent headband in teal. I chose stock. I did wonder about the pads, but I want to try them stock.
You just did not want to be caught with a teal headband ! 🤣🤣🤣🤭🤭🤭

May 6, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #52,716 of 65,050
They sound similar in that they both prioritize agility over tactility, and quality over quantity. Ie, they are both good at texture and being able to quickly start and stop bass notes. But the Etys dig deeper, replaying the lowest octaves (especially with the red filters). The Etys can't compete with dynamic driver designs, which give you a more sustained tactile "feel" from bass notes. But unfortunately the RS1x has even less of this feel...
I have both the ER4 XR and SR. For a couple years I've been using the XR's because the SR's seemed too rolled off bass-wise. But since owning the RS1x's, I've gone back to my ER4 SR's. Now, the ety XR sometimes sound too bass heavy , and the lower mids a little muddled. I like that the RS1x's bass doesn't bleed into the mids. The ER4 SR, which is leaner than the XR, still has a lot more bass than the RS1x. So, if the SR, which measures flat to 20 hz has more bass than the RS1x, then the Grado's are just not living up their reference name - but they are still a fun listen!

May 7, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #52,717 of 65,050
I have both the ER4 XR and SR. For a couple years I've been using the XR's because the SR's seemed too rolled off bass-wise. But since owning the RS1x's, I've gone back to my ER4 SR's. Now, the ety XR sometimes sound too bass heavy , and the lower mids a little muddled. I like that the RS1x's bass doesn't bleed into the mids. The ER4 SR, which is leaner than the XR, still has a lot more bass than the RS1x. So, if the SR, which measures flat to 20 hz has more bass than the RS1x, then the Grado's are just not living up their reference name - but they are still a fun listen!
Owned 4xr for years and loved those iems ... my solid go to .

May 7, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #52,718 of 65,050
They sound similar in that they both prioritize agility over tactility, and quality over quantity. Ie, they are both good at texture and being able to quickly start and stop bass notes. But the Etys dig deeper, replaying the lowest octaves (especially with the red filters). The Etys can't compete with dynamic driver designs, which give you a more sustained tactile "feel" from bass notes. But unfortunately the RS1x has even less of this feel.

As I mentioned above, you just need to know what you are getting with the RS1x; it simply does not reproduce the quantity of deep bass that you get from competing designs. But once again, I am OK with that in exchange for what you DO get.

That said, I am not done yet in trying to extract more bass. I am going to reterminate mine once my XLR connector is delivered later today - which has the potential to improve the bass. And I am still experimenting with different pads, which dramatically changes the bass response (but so far only with the unacceptable cost of ruining the midrange).
Thanks for this honest feedback. It makes me even more curious and I need to hear them some day. I am not yet sure if I will dare to make the full investment in a new pair right now. It is a hefty price for such a specialized headphone.

But it also confirms that the people in this thread who says that the headphones change so much with 100-s of hours of burn-in are most likely victims of brain burn in and not a change in the driver characteristics changing over time. Changing one’s perception of bass impact is the one change in listening that take the longest time to adjust to. But once a listener is accustomed to an ER-4SR or other brighter sounding headphones you can live without the bass and start to appreciate midrange and soundstage etc. If you change a lot with other more bass heavy headphone like the Hemps or any of the new x-drivers it will probably make the RS-1X sound pale and too bright in comparison.

I guess in your quest for digging out more bass pad-rolling is probably the shortest way to more impact. The shipibo has really given my bright SR225e a weighty and punchy low end.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #52,719 of 65,050
May 7, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #52,724 of 65,050
So you like the idsd @Knee Deep In Epoxy ?
Has considered many times. But a bit pricy..
But all in one and much power is nice
For Grados it's definitely overkill in terms of power. I use it on Eco gain (which is less than "Normal"). If you have a collection of headphones including some hard to drive it's definitely worth it. I use it drive Argons, Aryas, Sundara, AKG K702, HD 600 among others... Those all need way more power than Grados.

Another great one is the Dethonray Honey. Less versatile but sounds SO smooth. Takes the edge off everything. Again a bit overkill on power for Grados.

For Grados you'd probably get the same experience as the Signature along with all the variety with the ifi Go Blu (connected by USB rather than Bluetooth).... for a third of the price!

If you want a desktop setup then Zen DAC/CAN combo gets you there for half the price of a Signature.

May 7, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #52,725 of 65,050
I like it portable and I like the big jack.
Trying not to buy hard demanding headphones.
Go blue should work. Not so costly. More money to buy Grado :)
But my tr-amp are proably a league over.
If I buy a new dac/amp. It must be better than my tr-amp.
Waiting for spec/price on the new esrmen angel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back