Grado Fan Club!
Mar 14, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #51,586 of 65,552
I need a new dac. 9 inch wide. Anything better than Schiit Modius? (max 350$)
Gonna stack it :wink:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #51,587 of 65,552
I need a new dac. 9 inch wide. Anything better than Schiit Modius? (max 350$)
Gonna stack it :wink:
I just got a Modius and for 2 bills it's a nice sounding DAC, I was leery about buying it, Schiit shipped fast and got to me a day early.

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #51,588 of 65,552
If it sounds good, it is a steal for the price!
looks like it is possible to use it with 2 amps at the same time.
So then I can have my Atrox in the bottom, Modius in the middle. and a German amp or a Jotunheim/Magnius on the top!

:wink:

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #51,589 of 65,552
If it sounds good, it is a steal for the price!
looks like it is possible to use it with 2 amps at the same time.
So then I can have my Atrox in the bottom, Modius in the middle. and a German amp or a Jotunheim/Magnius on the top!

:wink:
I have a Schiit Jotunheim hooked up through the balanced ports and when it gets to me a I'll be hooking a Modified DarkVoice 336se up to it.

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #51,590 of 65,552
If you wonder how it sounds it's like chocolate, creamy and good!

z.jpg

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #51,591 of 65,552
Perfect!
But for me,199+50 in freight,imp fee 13 and 25% VAT
But can’t find anything better.
Maybe Topping,but wrong width

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #51,592 of 65,552
How would they differ if one was not to compare whether they were better or not? Would the GS3000e be warmer (I've read that the Cocobolo wood may add to it).

I believe that the GS3000e and the PS2000e use the exact same driver, the one with the finer cloth mesh and extra holes. Any audible differences are very minor and have to do with the enclosure. The RAA FR graphs support this hypothesis because the graphs are virtually identical. So it's whether or not you're okay with +50% cost and added weight, and it definitely wasn't for me.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #51,593 of 65,552
Hello Grado fans, this is my very first post here and I've been content lurking and learning from you guys for the past half year.

A few posts ago, I noticed with alarm that a member here has posted a Grado Hemp that has broken apart and has sent it in for repairs. As a Grado Hemp owner myself, I would like to think of it as a rare, once-off incident.

But I saw the photos off a recently concluded auction in Japan where the seller has graciously declared upfront that the Grado Hemp on auction has cracks on the right earcup, possibly due to manufacturing defect. But I'm thinking it could also be due to exposure to weather conditions after awhile.

I'll post the link here if I may. If I do not succeed, you may search for it yourself under auction ID n1041338871 for Grado Hemp under a popular auction site in Japan. The link is here: https://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=n1041338871

From photos of the headphone shown, the earcups looks dry. Now I'm concerned whether the Hemp headphone needs to be oiled or waxed occasionally just like other wood-based headphones in the RS series and GS series. Bearing in mind that Hemp wood is not a natural wood but Hemp fibers compressed with resin, anyone here has any experience on how best to treat a processed wood like Hemp to prevent it from cracking? Any advice is most appreciated for all Grado Hemp owners here.
I had the same problem that another user had with the Hemp wood becoming whitish over time as the Hemp dried out. I wanted to oil the wood but since the wood is a hemp composite I wanted to be super careful as I was fearful the hemp fibers may expand too much and separate from the resin. As such, I used as little of the oil I could and used a mild oil used for cutting boards. This fixed the issue marvelously. My hemp looks new. later I also tried cheap Old English Wood Lemon Oil, this worked really well as well. So I think conditioning the hemp wood is fine if done sparingly and expensive oils aren't required as well.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #51,594 of 65,552
One thing to consider is the weight. The PS2000e are really heavy. And all the weight is "on" the ears, to the the sides. All of the Grados I had were confortable to me, except the PS2000e.
What about the support from the fairly wide (front-to-back) headband? Also, with the G cushions, the earcup weight is not solely ‘on the ears’ and is spread around the ears.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #51,595 of 65,552
@ESL-1 where do you get the small bottle of F11 you show? Best I can find is a $80 set of one or two big bottles with a little bottle.

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #51,596 of 65,552
Replacement Dekoni pads arrived today. These are not ideal from a fit perspective on my 50mm RS1x cans. I struggled to get these on. They are super comfortable and the sound is relatively unchanged. Happy with my purchase. Hopefully Dekoni will make an updated version with a better fit for 50mm drivers and a similar width to the L Cush. I know that's picky. Happy these exist.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpeg
    IMG_0906.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #51,597 of 65,552
Replacement Dekoni pads arrived today. These are not ideal from a fit perspective on my 50mm RS1x cans. I struggled to get these on. They are super comfortable and the sound is relatively unchanged. Happy with my purchase. Hopefully Dekoni will make an updated version with a better fit for 50mm drivers and a similar width to the L Cush. I know that's picky. Happy these exist.
….the ‘dune buggy’ Grado…

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #51,599 of 65,552
These don't change the sound at all? I would have thought that since they were cushions they'd absorb, dampen almost like comply for IEMs.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #51,600 of 65,552
I believe that the GS3000e and the PS2000e use the exact same driver, the one with the finer cloth mesh and extra holes. Any audible differences are very minor and have to do with the enclosure. The RAA FR graphs support this hypothesis because the graphs are virtually identical. So it's whether or not you're okay with +50% cost and added weight, and it definitely wasn't for me.
Trying to test or get either has been a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back