Grado Fan Club!
Feb 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #51,289 of 65,520
GW100 has worst resale value in Grado history.
I messaged Grado to see if they would allow me to trade-up for RS2x. They said they do not have such a program. I said they could buy my $80 GW100 then refurbish and sell for profit, but they said no to that too. Not even Grado wants it!

Feb 24, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #51,290 of 65,520
Yes, good point. His reviews do require an airpod in one ear (minimum) when family is around. Depending on your approach to parenting :wink:

Also his reviews are way too long and not worth the time. Not entertaining nor informative enough. I think his reviews are most appreciated by kids who’d rather watch a video than read words (i dont blame them, headfi is mostly noise).

Feb 24, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #51,291 of 65,520
Guys, is the RS2E RS1E better or worse than the RS2X RS1X? Does anybody have experience with both who could offer a comparo? The RS1E is about half the price of the 2E here.

Edited, just can't get the models straight.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #51,292 of 65,520
Not even Grado wants it!
Haha.

If you have anything on your radar from PS Audio - they have a great trade-in program! Used it myself once or twice.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #51,294 of 65,520
Guys, is the RS2E better or worse than the RS2X? Does anybody have experience with both who could offer a comparo? The RS2E is about half the price of the 2X here.
The RS2 = very good. But the 225e is near

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #51,296 of 65,520
• Out of curiosity, I got out from storage my Copland DAC215 (DAC/amp) to use with the Grado RS-1x. The Copland uses an ESS 9018 chip and also has two 6922 tubes in the output stage. My normal DAC is the Mojo Audio Mystique (a NOS / R2R ladder design).
• When driven/fed by the Copland, it was as though a portion of the break-in for the RS-1x had been undone - compared to being fed by the Mystique / Woo WA6SE combination. The RS-1x became a bit shrill and the bass output seemed ‘shelved’. Also, the soundstage diminished somewhat.
• I can only surmise that the difference between sigma/delta and R2R conversion was the main cause. The tubes in the Copland I had just replaced with the excellent Tungsram E88CCs for this ‘experiment’. Confirmation to me that the RS-1x is sensitive to the ‘upstream’ audio gear.
Interesting - not surprised for you to hear the RS1x sensitive to what's upstream. They're very revealing headphones...

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #51,297 of 65,520
Personally, I like the stock pads as they reproduce the sound as John Grado and Son's intended. I've tried a number of after market pads. Many may be more comfortable than the stock pads, but as time goes on the stock pads become very comfortable for me. I have found that all of the 3rd party pads change the sound signature to some degree or another. That's just me. Everyone is different. Enjoy my friend!

Leo
Totally agree with you. I've tried L, G, and Shipibo pads on my Hemps and have happily settled back to stock F pads (TTVJ deluxe actually) and they're just "right". I can tell what the Hemps were tuned for - fun, punchy, round, "analogue" sound that just jives with fun music. Just reveals enough without bombarding you with too much detail. Put on a different pad and you lose the thick mid-bass and syrupy midrange. You get more detail with other pads but the treble starts to get irritating. Grado knows what he's doing, man.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #51,298 of 65,520
Not me. I thought the gap between RS2e and 225e was much larger than the difference between 225e and 60e. This comparison is with the same pads on all… Then, take into account that RS2 gives me wood and the rest do not.
TMI, man...tmi.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #51,299 of 65,520
Grado knows what he's doing, man.
No. That’s why they’ve been revamping their products the past few years because their schiit does not stack up to the competition.

Hemp is good. Most of the rest sucked. The new x-series took their ques from Hemp’s success. Grado got lucky or they hired someone else to do their designs or they just copied purr!n.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #51,300 of 65,520
I still think the sr225e are some of my favorite Grados, I regret selling them. Sure it lacks the refinement of the higher tier models but that lack of refinement works for it, the grit in the sound works in its favour. Super fun! A good set to complement other Grados imho

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back