Grado Fan Club!
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #51,271 of 65,468
Tonight I am feeding my SR80e with the Tr-Amp.
Cheaper Grados also sounds good with a decent dac/amp.
My 225e rocks a little more with the same dac/amp.
So thinking my next Grado must be a Prestige :wink:
325x. Regret that I gave up the 325x in may😟

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #51,272 of 65,468
Tonight I am feeding my SR80e with the Tr-Amp.
Cheaper Grados also sounds good with a decent dac/amp.
My 225e rocks a little more with the same dac/amp.
So thinking my next Grado must be a Prestige :wink:
325x. Regret that I gave up the 325x in may😟
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #51,273 of 65,468
So I just saw the new Dekoni pads announced a bit ago. Can anyone who bought some of them give me impressions? How do you like them? I've got Hemps, PS500e, and SR225e (modded). Would love to try out comfortable Dekoni pads on them but want to make sure they're worth it. If you got them, which ones did you get?

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #51,274 of 65,468
I'm circling back, now that I've had the RS1x's for a few weeks now. I'm still feeling them out, but so far they're my favorite Grados, after comparing them to my 125e's and RS2e's. Other comparisons I made were with Audeze LCD2, etymotic ER 4SR/4XR and Sennheiser HD600's.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice on break in. Over time the bass did improve a lot and the upper mid peakiness chilled out, too. Bass seems to be a topic with these headphones - two things I noticed: These cans go deep, but there isn't a lot of what's there. On one hand, lower frequencies are nicely detailed without any bloat or overhang. I don't mind instruments like bass drums and acoustic bass on the lean side, but it's when something is missing altogether that I find disappointing. There are a couple instances where there were instruments playing that I've heard on other systems, but were not there or unnaturally low, with the RS1x.

IMO the RS1x sounds like a hi-end medium sized studio monitor in a well damped control room. In the end, they are a little bass shy, and there's still a little peak around 2k, which can get slightly shrill in some instances with vocals, piano or guitars. All headphones/systems have their shortcomings, so other than those two things, these are stellar cans that can really dig deep into a mix.
• Out of curiosity, I got out from storage my Copland DAC215 (DAC/amp) to use with the Grado RS-1x. The Copland uses an ESS 9018 chip and also has two 6922 tubes in the output stage. My normal DAC is the Mojo Audio Mystique (a NOS / R2R ladder design).
• When driven/fed by the Copland, it was as though a portion of the break-in for the RS-1x had been undone - compared to being fed by the Mystique / Woo WA6SE combination. The RS-1x became a bit shrill and the bass output seemed ‘shelved’. Also, the soundstage diminished somewhat.
• I can only surmise that the difference between sigma/delta and R2R conversion was the main cause. The tubes in the Copland I had just replaced with the excellent Tungsram E88CCs for this ‘experiment’. Confirmation to me that the RS-1x is sensitive to the ‘upstream’ audio gear.

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #51,275 of 65,468
Sound quality and value ratings are very high in this review.

I recomend you to buy aftermarket L-pads (not original). I bought them from China, they provide more bass, because they are thicker. But these pads don’t destroy RS2e sound signature, for example G-pads has a lot of base, but mids disappear...
L-pads original on the left, aftermarket on the right.
Personally, I like the stock pads as they reproduce the sound as John Grado and Son's intended. I've tried a number of after market pads. Many may be more comfortable than the stock pads, but as time goes on the stock pads become very comfortable for me. I have found that all of the 3rd party pads change the sound signature to some degree or another. That's just me. Everyone is different. Enjoy my friend!

Leo

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #51,276 of 65,468
Right😊
But no PS? All gone? Even PS500e?
PS is gone other than the last of the PS2000e’s advertised in the close out. PS500e was discontinued and no longer in stock at Grado over a month ago.

If anyone’s wallet is up to it I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the PS2000e, in my opinion the best sounding headphone Grado has made to date. I include in that the Joseph Grado Signature HP1000, I have the HP2 which I do like very much.

I know I will probably never get rid of my PS2000e.

BTW, the trick to keeping the black chrome of the PS2000e looking pristine is Formula F11 Topcoat. Magical

Attachments

• 18329763-01F6-41B5-A911-CDA9403772BD.jpeg
    18329763-01F6-41B5-A911-CDA9403772BD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #51,277 of 65,468
I complained here before christmas,
A recording that sounds bad(lack bass)
Yesterday it suddenly sounds good..
Sound quality and value ratings are very high in this review.

I recomend you to buy aftermarket L-pads (not original). I bought them from China, they provide more bass, because they are thicker. But these pads don’t destroy RS2e sound signature, for example G-pads has a lot of base, but mids disappear...
L-pads original on the left, aftermarket on the right.

(rs2e bought on blackweek)
Makes sense since the design of the phone is intrinsically tied to the pad it was designed around and there is a lot of effort and comparisons that go into that on every Grado model.

That said, obviously nothing wrong with experimenting and find what best suits you.

Do not forget there is some breaking in of original Grado pads but that will not happen until there is a good amount of playtime. They will become less rigid.

As always do not skimp on adjusting the headband to find the very best fit for you and also best sound. Where the pad is on the ear can make a major difference with just a bit of experimenting. Major, not minor in my opinion but definitely worth trying.

Enjoy the fun and don’t lose track of the music because of course that is the GOAL or should be above all else.

I used to use the following phrase when I was in retail audio (since 1971):
If a mouse running on rubber
bands sounds best then that is
what I want.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #51,278 of 65,468
I've been constantly using my 325x for the past couple months, and loving them. I read online that the L-Cush pads were awesome with them, so I grabbed some. The great thing about them was how spacious they sounded. It was like listening to the breathiest, most live music I've ever heard.

That said!

The f-cush which come with the 325 are significantly better. It's clear to me that they designed the 325x with the f cush in mind. It's got a much thicker bass and isn't nearly as bright. It's a fantastic sound, unrivaled by a lot of headphones that cost 600+ more. Either way though, great sound and someone else might prefer the diminished bass and wider soundstage.

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #51,280 of 65,468
I finally got around to putting G-cush on my GH-1's, and yes, it's awesome, way better than I imagined I waited two years to do this.

So I am getting some pain from the pads pushing against my ears, like squashing them. A few times it became really bad but it seems to be getting better, some days better than others. My question - Do the pads soften or wear to a point where this will not happen?, or is my small weird head and ears just wrong?

BTW GH1/G is a pretty serious piece of gear, so natural sounding with awesome tone. Relaxing but rocking at the same time, depending on my mood, but never boring. These cans cover a lot of ground.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #51,281 of 65,468
GW100 has worst resale value in Grado history.
Interestingly, Z reviews hilarious guy actually liked it.
Not saying much, since apparently my taste or hearing is very different from his, but still.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #51,282 of 65,468
Interestingly, Z reviews hilarious guy actually liked it.
Not saying much, since apparently my taste or hearing is very different from his, but still.

Certainly entertaining and extremely funny...but perhaps a stretch to consider them deep/technical reviews at this point

Highly recommend while flipping Sunday morning pancakes for those with kids :)

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #51,283 of 65,468
I finally got around to putting G-cush on my GH-1's, and yes, it's awesome, way better than I imagined I waited two years to do this.

So I am getting some pain from the pads pushing against my ears, like squashing them. A few times it became really bad but it seems to be getting better, some days better than others. My question - Do the pads soften or wear to a point where this will not happen?, or is my small weird head and ears just wrong?

BTW GH1/G is a pretty serious piece of gear, so natural sounding with awesome tone. Relaxing but rocking at the same time, depending on my mood, but never boring. These cans cover a lot of ground.
Try this - I did. I soaked a pair of G-cushions in warm water, squeezed them gently like a sponge, tap-dried most of the water with a towel, air-dried them in front of a fan. They retained their shape and are softer. 😃

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #51,284 of 65,468
Highly recommend while flipping Sunday morning pancakes for those with kids :)
Well... if you want your kids to master the usage of the F word, and enjoy juvenile sexual jokes - then yeah... :smirk:

Feb 24, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #51,285 of 65,468
Try this - I did. I soaked a pair of G-cushions in warm water, squeezed them gently like a sponge, tap-dried most of the water with a towel, air-dried them in front of a fan. They retained their shape and are softer. 😃
Ah so the pads get top shelf treatment:smile:. I did not want to do that but let them break in naturally instead. As long as they do get softer and more comfortable i will be happy. I might let them take their own form from use. thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back