Grado Fan Club!
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #49,531 of 65,046
I’ve been going back and forth with the hemp and the rs1e. The hemp is great but I seem to keep enjoying the rs1e maybe better? I’m not sure a hard decision. If the hemps had the soundstage of the rs1e I’d probably go for those. But the rs1e placement of instruments and soundstage and separation is just better so makes it difficult. The hemps sound maybe live in a studio and less live in real life to me which kind of makes me less into them but they are great either way. As far as impact of real life though the hemps sound more life like meaning the size of the sound if that makes sense. They are bigger sounding and the rs1e is thinner. This is what is making it a hard choice. Both do things great. Hemps sound amazing with drums but with rs1e I can just imagine better that im there in the venue listening rather than wearing a headphone I guess. I’m confusing to y’all maybe but this is a super hard choice lol. Seems like I’m leaning towards the rs1e and may stick with these or maybe I should try the rs1x? Who knows haha. A never ending cycle.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #49,532 of 65,046
I’ve been going back and forth with the hemp and the rs1e. The hemp is great but I seem to keep enjoying the rs1e maybe better? I’m not sure a hard decision. If the hemps had the soundstage of the rs1e I’d probably go for those. But the rs1e placement of instruments and soundstage and separation is just better so makes it difficult. The hemps sound maybe live in a studio and less live in real life to me which kind of makes me less into them but they are great either way. As far as impact of real life though the hemps sound more life like meaning the size of the sound if that makes sense. They are bigger sounding and the rs1e is thinner. This is what is making it a hard choice. Both do things great. Hemps sound amazing with drums but with rs1e I can just imagine better that im there in the venue listening rather than wearing a headphone I guess. I’m confusing to y’all maybe but this is a super hard choice lol. Seems like I’m leaning towards the rs1e and may stick with these or maybe I should try the rs1x? Who knows haha. A never ending cycle.
I am listening to the hemps and like them quite a bit but with the f pads they can sound a little congested compared to like the rs1e. Rs1e was the last phone I had before I got the hemps. I had its cable modified and had some trouble with the cable replacement. It’s a very good headphone I’m with you it gets way too much hate. The rs1x should be a different beast altogether.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #49,533 of 65,046
TLDR...

So...

Received my Schiit Lyr 3 & Bifrost 2 yesterday. Using AudioQuest Interconnects and Power. Was previously using the Vali 2+ & Modi Multibit as well as a Ragnorak 2. I owned a Lyr 3 w/ Multibit card prior. Went back to the Lyr 3 after the Vali and Ragnorak. I'm in the process of building a home so I'm stuck in limbo for the next several months so I have nothing to tinker with but desktop set ups. I owned the Ragnorak 2 and Modi Multibit with Martin Logans that I sold when I placed myself in purgatory while my house is being built 9 hours away.

I've been alternating between my Sennheiser HD 660S and the RS1x. In this regard, it's not even close. A few caveats...

1. Have you ever owned Grados? If you like Grados the RS1x are clearly superior to anything in the SR, GH, HF or RS lines that I have auditioned/owned. From an aesthetic/functionality perspective they are vastly improved as well. I love the 3 wood cups and the cable is non microphonic and does not kink/twist the way the older cable did. Yes, I would love a detachable cable; but this is a nice compromise as with the HF-3. The L pads are the L pads. No new news here.

2. Never owned Grados? Do you listen to classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, the Dead or singer/songwriter music? How is your high frequency hearing? When was the last time you had your hearing tested? Ever listen to Klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins or Paradigm speakers? Grados have an aggressive tilt with a faster rhythmic pace and are more detailed on the top end. I would argue "fatiguing" to the end of my days. If you like these types of genres and/or have enjoyed these brands of speakers they RS1x will be well received. You may need a pair of G pads for comfort if unaccustomed to the utilitarian nature of Grado and their pad choices. I have used these with the L pads exclusively the past 48 hours to baseline the sound. I have found the differences with pad swapping subtle but noticeable all the same with prior Grados. In summary, if you love your Sennheisers, HIFIMANs, Audeze, etc., then buy an SR80x or SR325x as a a change of pace headphone and venture no further.

3. The RS1x scale fairly well. I can tell the improvement moving from a $400 set up to a $1,300 set up more so than with the HD 660S ironically. I had an iFi Zen DAC V2 for a minute while I was moving. I sold the iFi prior to owning the RS1x but found it a competent performer. Simply put, if I had a "tight" (everything is relative) budget I would go with the ~ $190 iFi and the RS1x vs. the Lyr 3/Bifrost 2 and a more modest pair of Grados. I would upgrade the front end as funds allowed with modest expectations.

4. As all things with the pandemic, supply chain disruptions are inevitable. If interested, I would pounce now. Grado seems to be keeping up well with production more so than other vendors, but we shall see. With other products, it has been more of a "here today, gone tomorrow" vs. a slow decay.

5. I have never auditioned/owned a GS or PS series headphone. If I win the lottery, I will let you know. My current set up is my end game for now and I am completely content with the price/performance ratio of my purchases. I may punt the HD 660S for a Sundara or Focal as a compliment and purchase a few tubes for the Lyr 3. Otherwise, I'm good.

...highly recommended. If you haven't tried a pair Grado headphones, get an iFi or entry level Schiit DAC/Amp and a pair of Grados that you can afford and have fun. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #49,534 of 65,046
I am listening to the hemps and like them quite a bit but with the f pads they can sound a little congested compared to like the rs1e. Rs1e was the last phone I had before I got the hemps. I had its cable modified and had some trouble with the cable replacement. It’s a very good headphone I’m with you it gets way too much hate. The rs1x should be a different beast altogether.
Did you just decide you liked the hemp more or the cable issue made you get rid of the rs1e?

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #49,536 of 65,046
TLDR...

So...

Received my Schiit Lyr 3 & Bifrost 2 yesterday. Using AudioQuest Interconnects and Power. Was previously using the Vali 2+ & Modi Multibit as well as a Ragnorak 2. I owned a Lyr 3 w/ Multibit card prior. Went back to the Lyr 3 after the Vali and Ragnorak. I'm in the process of building a home so I'm stuck in limbo for the next several months so I have nothing to tinker with but desktop set ups. I owned the Ragnorak 2 and Modi Multibit with Martin Logans that I sold when I placed myself in purgatory while my house is being built 9 hours away.

I've been alternating between my Sennheiser HD 660S and the RS1x. In this regard, it's not even close. A few caveats...

1. Have you ever owned Grados? If you like Grados the RS1x are clearly superior to anything in the SR, GH, HF or RS lines that I have auditioned/owned. From an aesthetic/functionality perspective they are vastly improved as well. I love the 3 wood cups and the cable is non microphonic and does not kink/twist the way the older cable did. Yes, I would love a detachable cable; but this is a nice compromise as with the HF-3. The L pads are the L pads. No new news here.

2. Never owned Grados? Do you listen to classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, the Dead or singer/songwriter music? How is your high frequency hearing? When was the last time you had your hearing tested? Ever listen to Klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins or Paradigm speakers? Grados have an aggressive tilt with a faster rhythmic pace and are more detailed on the top end. I would argue "fatiguing" to the end of my days. If you like these types of genres and/or have enjoyed these brands of speakers they RS1x will be well received. You may need a pair of G pads for comfort if unaccustomed to the utilitarian nature of Grado and their pad choices. I have used these with the L pads exclusively the past 48 hours to baseline the sound. I have found the differences with pad swapping subtle but noticeable all the same with prior Grados. In summary, if you love your Sennheisers, HIFIMANs, Audeze, etc., then buy an SR80x or SR325x as a a change of pace headphone and venture no further.

3. The RS1x scale fairly well. I can tell the improvement moving from a $400 set up to a $1,300 set up more so than with the HD 660S ironically. I had an iFi Zen DAC V2 for a minute while I was moving. I sold the iFi prior to owning the RS1x but found it a competent performer. Simply put, if I had a "tight" (everything is relative) budget I would go with the ~ $190 iFi and the RS1x vs. the Lyr 3/Bifrost 2 and a more modest pair of Grados. I would upgrade the front end as funds allowed with modest expectations.

4. As all things with the pandemic, supply chain disruptions are inevitable. If interested, I would pounce now. Grado seems to be keeping up well with production more so than other vendors, but we shall see. With other products, it has been more of a "here today, gone tomorrow" vs. a slow decay.

5. I have never auditioned/owned a GS or PS series headphone. If I win the lottery, I will let you know. My current set up is my end game for now and I am completely content with the price/performance ratio of my purchases. I may punt the HD 660S for a Sundara or Focal as a compliment and purchase a few tubes for the Lyr 3. Otherwise, I'm good.

...highly recommended. If you haven't tried a pair Grado headphones, get an iFi or entry level Schiit DAC/Amp and a pair of Grados that you can afford and have fun. Enjoy.
I have the RS1x with a Lyr 3 and BF2 as well (along with a Lokius). Loving it so far. Also the best Grado I’ve owned. G cush pads are a must for me.

Are you using the stock tube on the Lyr?

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #49,537 of 65,046
Agree. But isn't it like that with all types of products? If you know someone who travel to the US sometimes, they can bring the goods home to you... if they can get it past the customs in the airport.
But that is also the reason one can only dream of the new RS-1X or some og the GS-versions.
don`t know any us travellers :frowning2:
amazon ship to europe.

are there other US dealers that ship to europe?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #49,539 of 65,046
Nov 17, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #49,540 of 65,046
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #49,542 of 65,046
Another little bump for Shipibo pads on Hemps

Adds bass and soundstage. Seeing the impressions on the RSXx series makes me wonder how close or far apart they are. Anyone know of a place to demo RSXx series in London?

Someone said here that the RS1x have much less impact and bass compared to the Hemp.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #49,545 of 65,046
Fellas, I'm really interested to know what accessories have you received with your GS1000e. I received only the headphones and nothing else. The box was sealed and the distributor informed me that for 'our' market, Grado does not give any accessories. I bought the 6,3 to 3,5 mm adaptor at additional cost.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back