Grado Fan Club!
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #49,096 of 65,552
Can anyone that owned both compare the GH-2's and the RS2e's?

I made a guy a trade offer for some headphones against a set of RS2e's.

My Grado history is:
1) SR325e's. Liked them, but found them a bit bright.
2) PS500e's. Found them dull and flat.
3) GH2's. Have had them for three years and they are my favourite headphones.

Just wondering what the RS2e's would bring to the table. I wouldn't have thought to buy them, but on a trade, I am curious.
I’ve had both and from i remember it’s a been a while tho is that the gh2 were not as bright as the rs2e and also had more bass than the rs2e. The rs2e didn’t have much bass at all from what I remember. I can’t remember anything about soundstage or instrument separation.

I have the RS1e now and those seem to take me back to more of how the RS2e sounded rather than the GH2 sound.

Also I have had the 325e and they were very similar sounding to the rs2e but the rs2e wasn’t as bright and had less bass. Not as exciting sounding as the 325e but that’s not a bad thing. More as not in your face sound are the RS2e to me anyways.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #49,098 of 65,552
$How does it compare to the Gilmore Lite mk2?
I have not done an A/B type of listening comparison recently even though they are right on top of each other. The Signature Grado amp is very neutral and sounds good with most of my phones and is one of my main go to amps to listen to my Grados.

The HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2 is an excellent amp and at $499 retail ($450 with a current DROP) goes way beyond that price point in performance. It is a Class A design and and a wonderfully musical full sound with excellent details. I highly suggest anyone with a Gilmore Lite mk2 or contemplating one add the dedicated upgrade power supply, it is a bargain @ $299 and takes the amp several steps higher. At less than $800 it is my personal choice to anything out there up to $1000 & sometimes beyond that in comparison.

Keep in mind that finding a Joseph Grado Signature amp is not an easy chore. I was looking for several years before I found mine.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #49,099 of 65,552
There is a Grado reseller nearby in the city center. I'd like to go and see if they allow people to try during this pandemic. Btw, the RA-1 I got is the battery powered model. My other concern is that if we'll see new X variant of RS series soon like they did with the mainstream SR models. I haven't heard of that Joseph Grado line before. That amp looks so robust.
Joe Grado is John Grado's uncle and founded Grado Labs in 1950. As John came of age he became more and more involved in all aspects of the business with his uncle being a great source of knowledge and direction. When Joe retired John was all set up to completely take over the business. That was over 30 years ago.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #49,100 of 65,552
judging by how confusing Pokemon Center is and how all of their models were wearing the headphones backwards in the pictures, yes, i would agree with you there. seems like the headphones themselves were thought out but everything else wasnt. i would be curious to know how Grado themselves view this collaboration and how the work was completed between each of the companies because viewing it from the outside...... eeek.
The Pokemon models are separate designs and definitely are not SR80x phones in disguise. Again, these were all separately done and each one would more closely resemble sonically the standard Grado model in that price range but is not the same and is not a re-labelling of any standard Grado models. They were all specially designed for Pokemon.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #49,101 of 65,552
Joe Grado is John Grado's uncle and founded Grado Labs in 1950. As John came of age he became more and more involved in all aspects of the business with his uncle being a great source of knowledge and direction. When Joe retired John was all set up to completely take over the business. That was over 30 years ago.

This video is really cool, shows the Grado Labs and bit of history there too

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #49,102 of 65,552
This Man Has Too Many Grados: An Ongoing Series
Volume 5: Bush League Edition

These are my new Bushmills edition Grados. I've only had them for a few days now.

I was scrolling through Ebay during an interminably long work meeting and these popped up. A starting bid price on the high end of reasonable, with only about 1 hour to go, and no bidders!

I threw in a bid on the high end of the high end of reasonable, and smartly posted a question in the meeting chat implying that I had been paying attention that whole time.

To my surprise, no one outbid me.

I've used them so far for only about a couple hours or so. They are very comfortable, I really like the S cushions on them. They just seem to suit this model perfectly.

They aren't really "closed" in any sense, and will still leak sound like a normal open back (but less than most other Grados😁)

They sound good. Not so good to make me forget about all my other Grados. Not so good that I think they are totally worth the price I paid. But good. I did some quick A/B with the Hemps but stopped. It's not a fair fight. That's not what these are for.

These are, quite simply, cool AF. That is why they cost a lot of money. They are arguably the coolest possession I have now. They would be one of the first things I would grab if my house was on fire. The fact that they can play music is an added bonus.

Attachments

• 20211027_163216.jpg
    20211027_163216.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #49,103 of 65,552
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #49,105 of 65,552
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #49,106 of 65,552
I'm really starting to grove on my SR325x with the flat pads, I'm finding them comfy (perhaps my ears are just getting numb:smile:)

Damn they sound good!

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #49,107 of 65,552
I'm really starting to grove on my SR325x with the flat pads, I'm finding them comfy (perhaps my ears are just getting numb:smile:)

Damn they sound good!
The flats work well there. They do get comfy once you have tweaked the fit. Best Fit = Best Sound more often than not in my opinion. I also like flats on my PS500e & RS1e.

Enjoy!

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #49,108 of 65,552
While waiting for 4th gen woodies, I stumbled across a review of the GT220’s.
https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/grado-gt220/
It‘s all in German and not too long, but in even shorter words:
- the reviewer‘s happiness about the telephone functions is… limited.
- ‘Yet after a few sounds of my reference playlist (named example linked by movinIron: https://www.highresaudio.com/de/album/view/wyokk9/natalie-merchant-leave-your-sleep. Track 13) it became clear, these are serious headphones‘
- ‘sound quality is simply great.‘
- ‘…actually, these are acoustically the most impressive true wireless in ears I know!‘
- usage and functionality doesn‘t reach Sennheiser, Sony, Apple and others.
- microphone quality doesn’t reach cheaper alternatives.
- ‘Nevertheless: The sound of the Grado GT220‘s is quite honestly breathtaking‘

Maybe I need to think about some new true wireless in ears…
I've had the GT220's since they came out. I've had a few true wireless myself, and I don't use them anymore. Gave them to the wife. Just really enjoy the Grado's over the others. They are tuned more like the new offerings (Hemp & X Series). If you like Grado, then I don't think you'll be disappointed. I do not use them for phone calls though, so I can't comment on that.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #49,109 of 65,552
Can anyone that owned both compare the GH-2's and the RS2e's?

I made a guy a trade offer for some headphones against a set of RS2e's.

My Grado history is:
1) SR325e's. Liked them, but found them a bit bright.
2) PS500e's. Found them dull and flat.
3) GH2's. Have had them for three years and they are my favourite headphones.

Just wondering what the RS2e's would bring to the table. I wouldn't have thought to buy them, but on a trade, I am curious.
Don't ditch the GH2! It's such a well-balanced pair and I know you love them as much as I do. So versatile, engaging and fun but managing to still be fairly accurate (for Grado house-sound.) I bet you'd regret it and end up trying to find another pair shortly after. I'm never letting mine go! :D

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #49,110 of 65,552
Don't ditch the GH2! It's such a well-balanced pair and I know you love them as much as I do. So versatile, engaging and fun but managing to still be fairly accurate (for Grado house-sound.) I bet you'd regret it and end up trying to find another pair shortly after. I'm never letting mine go! :D
Oh yeah. I go back and forth between my GH2/G and GH1/L, and love both.

My favorite Grados, plus HF2/G and the new 325x, which just works. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back