Grado Fan Club!
Oct 16, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #49,008 of 65,420
as a lifelong grado and pokemon fan i could not pull the trigger fast enough. 500 for essentially a custom rs1 is a steal imo. i bought the wood with red headband as that seems to be the most iconic amd i havent had a wood grado in years since i sold my rs1i.

if my daily drivers werent black 325 with hp1000 drivers i would have gone for the black aluminum because black alum is awesome.
It looks like a prestige driver (not sure which one...probably 325X driver) in a wooden RS2 size custom cup.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #49,009 of 65,420
It’s been about 6 months and I still absolutely love my Hemp.

It’s hard to describe, but the tonality of the headphones seems to directly target my brain in a way that makes every sound immensely enjoyable. They’re not the most accurate headphone and I’m sure they’re not as detailed or precise as some offerings by other vendors, and yet I love the sound so much. They’re just tuned in a way that makes things sound so enjoyable.

Grados are interesting because the whole design and build is so finicky in a sort of artisanal way, so I don’t listen to my Hemp nearly as much as I do my AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, or 6XX, which are all an all-day headphone. The Hemp feel more like a dessert headphone, if that makes sense. They’re not something I use throughout the day, rather, they’re a headphone where I love to put on when it’s late at night and I’m sitting in my chair. I just throw them on for an hour before bed and they’re such a pleasant experience for both podcasts and music.

I can’t comment on how other headphones in that ballpark compare (ie. RS2e, 325X, PS500e, or other non Grado offerings), but the Hemp are a big step up from my original SR60, I enjoy them more than my AirPods Max (which I love), and I think I even like them more (in moderation) than my 6XX, which are my favorite all-arounder.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #49,010 of 65,420
It’s been about 6 months and I still absolutely love my Hemp.

It’s hard to describe, but the tonality of the headphones seems to directly target my brain in a way that makes every sound immensely enjoyable. They’re not the most accurate headphone and I’m sure they’re not as detailed or precise as some offerings by other vendors, and yet I love the sound so much. They’re just tuned in a way that makes things sound so enjoyable.

Grados are interesting because the whole design and build is so finicky in a sort of artisanal way, so I don’t listen to my Hemp nearly as much as I do my AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, or 6XX, which are all an all-day headphone. The Hemp feel more like a desert headphone, if that makes sense. They’re not something I use throughout the day, rather, they’re a headphone where I love to put on when it’s late at night and I’m sitting in my chair. I just throw them on for an hour before bed and they’re such a pleasant experience for both podcasts and music.

I can’t comment on how other headphones in that ballpark compare (ie. RS2e, 325X, PS500e, or other non Grado offerings), but the Hemp are a big step up from my original SR60, I enjoy them more than my AirPods Max (which I love), and I think I even like them more (in moderation) than my 6XX, which are my favorite all-arounder.
Still considering the Hemp.
They are the cheapest grados over the prestige series with great FR.

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #49,012 of 65,420
Why do you think it is an RS1?
i suppose it could be more like an rs2. mine arrive today and not sure how big the cups are. but based on the other pics shown they are fully wood cups. my main point is that the cups are full wood like rs1 not like half plastic like some other ones theyve done

in my years with grado the real differences in sound come from the housing material change and pad change. i prefer flats on everything and prefer joe grado drivers, which i think are on a completely different level.

these are dope and i havent been this excited for a headphone in a LONG time. i know they are not gonna sound as good as my main cans but i hope they’ll be fun. ive missed having a wood grado since i sold my rs1i about 10 years ago. would love to buy a second too just to keep sealed lol

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #49,013 of 65,420
I recently acquired a Schiit Loki Mini+. EQ needs are adequately handled at the desktop via computer based controls but in the living room, deficiencies in all cans are revealed.

I cannot recall the last time I had a stereo preamp with tone controls. On the one hand I don't disagree with the philosophy of dispensing with them, as their implementation on the type of gear I can afford is usually less than stellar. On the other hand some sort of controls can be essential. I am fortunate in that I have not felt a need for this with my speakers, in this room. Headphones however...

Why am I posting this in this thread? Of the headphones I have played with in this new setup (Senn, AKG, Koss, Grado) the best results I have had are with my SR225x with G pads. On the Loki Mini+ with the 20Hz at +4 and the 2Khz at -2 (values are approximate) I cannot stop smiling. YMMV but this is a good investment for me.

signal path Pioneer-PD65 -->Coax-->Topping D30-->Loki Mini+-->Anthem Pre2L-->Bliss

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #49,015 of 65,420
I have never heard the V200 (stripped down V280), but I LOVE my V220 (stripped down V281). And a used model would be a ton less than the new Pro iCAN ( about $2300.00US. YIKES!!).

But for Grado's you don't need any big power. The features on iFi are fun, but the Violectric house sound is a lot of fun just on its own.
I agree with Shane. Among my amps I have a Violectric V200 and it does very well with all my Grados.

The HeadAmp Kevin Gilmore Lite Mk2 @ $500 retail is an excellent match also, especially if you add the upgrade power supply. Killer combo for less than $800 new. Less common but my TEAC HA-501 is really superb with the PS2000e and is a good match for all of my Grados.....

Fortunately a lot of good choices out there covering a wide range of pricing, it does not have to get expensive.

Attachments

• OIP (2).jpg
    OIP (2).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #49,017 of 65,420
IMOHO: RS1e is more recessed than the SR325x, I like the RS1e as it's lighter and prettier, but I think the SR325x sounds a bit more opened and forward.

I really like both of them, but if I had to pick one I would most likely choose the SR325x.

I own both.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #49,018 of 65,420
Does any of the shipibo gimbal sets fit the ps2000e ? Got a pair for 300, but the one gimbal is a little loose.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #49,019 of 65,420
Got an answer from Shipibo, they fit. They’re making new gimbals now for the bigger models aswell, in the same style as the factory ones.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #49,020 of 65,420
Agreed, I think the GW100 almost has too much bass in wireless mode. It kind of overpowered much of the sound and I much prefer it in its wired configuration which is kinda moot. Its still a fine wireless headphone when you compare it to most other wireless headphones though.

I took a look at the video again to make sure, and he actually does use the GW100 in wireless mode, and from the sound sample, it's too boomy. The wires coming out of his ears are from his in-ear microphones. So you're correct here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back