Grado Fan Club!
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #47,791 of 65,471
This is some questions. If this is your first every grado.. For me , now that the , X, range is out and will also move up the chain shortly.
I would try to get a deal. You have nothing to lose. Always better to get the more expensive first if you are serious. ...As buying a Sr60, 80, 125, etc You will want more ...We all do.
So if in doubt use amazon and send them back. Or if can't do that and it's got to be a keeper , go for the middle range like SR125 x. But if you can save money and see a new non X one , it's still worth buying , then pick up a few different pads to get different sound and comfort.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #47,794 of 65,471
I know this topic has been discussed ad nausea in many places but I figure why not ask again here... :relaxed:

Now that I am feeling pretty dialed in with my SR225x with G pads I am fidgeting for a new desktop amp. Nothing wrong with my Monolith Liquid Spark, nothing at all, but I am a tube lover so...

Seems like any pure designs in the price ceiling I am comfortable with (~$350USD) are OTL, which sadly means there will be no Bottlehead Crack for me. I feel too iffy about Schitt, seems like a lot of QC qualms and I had a Valhalla on loan a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed vs the headphone out of my Anthem Pre2L. The Little Dot and its ilk also seem like a crapshoot in need of upgrades to achieve better performance.

So I am thinking that maybe a hybrid would be a more productive direction. The Garage1217 stuff looks interesting but nothing leaps out at me as a logical choice.

What sort of tube'd desktop amps have people been in love with for Grados? Is there a clear set of standout standbys that everyone looks to?

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #47,796 of 65,471
I know this topic has been discussed ad nausea in many places but I figure why not ask again here... :relaxed:

Now that I am feeling pretty dialed in with my SR225x with G pads I am fidgeting for a new desktop amp. Nothing wrong with my Monolith Liquid Spark, nothing at all, but I am a tube lover so...

Seems like any pure designs in the price ceiling I am comfortable with (~$350USD) are OTL, which sadly means there will be no Bottlehead Crack for me. I feel too iffy about Schitt, seems like a lot of QC qualms and I had a Valhalla on loan a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed vs the headphone out of my Anthem Pre2L. The Little Dot and its ilk also seem like a crapshoot in need of upgrades to achieve better performance.

So I am thinking that maybe a hybrid would be a more productive direction. The Garage1217 stuff looks interesting but nothing leaps out at me as a logical choice.

What sort of tube'd desktop amps have people been in love with for Grados? Is there a clear set of standout standbys that everyone looks to?
Give the LOXJIE P20 Full Balance Tube Amplifier a try if you really must have tubes. The Liquid Spark you already have is really hard to beat IMO

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #47,797 of 65,471
Made a little special SR80x tonight. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20210611_023816383.jpg
    PXL_20210611_023816383.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210611_020127714.jpg
    PXL_20210611_020127714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #47,798 of 65,471
Made a little special SR80x tonight. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. 😁

Oh myyyyyy, I'm jelly! Those look sweet! Who doesn't want detachable-cable-enabled Grado with a flair? Nice work!

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #47,799 of 65,471
This is some questions. If this is your first every grado.. For me , now that the , X, range is out and will also move up the chain shortly.
I would try to get a deal. You have nothing to lose. Always better to get the more expensive first if you are serious. ...As buying a Sr60, 80, 125, etc You will want more ...We all do.
So if in doubt use amazon and send them back. Or if can't do that and it's got to be a keeper , go for the middle range like SR125 x. But if you can save money and see a new non X one , it's still worth buying , then pick up a few different pads to get different sound and comfort.

325 is a good start

Thanks for the quick answers. Ill probably go for the 125x. The headband on the 325x does not looks as padded as the other new in the same series, any comments on this?

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #47,801 of 65,471
Oh myyyyyy, I'm jelly! Those look sweet! Who doesn't want detachable-cable-enabled Grado with a flair? Nice work!

Thank you!

Looks like you're also messing with a pair of Hemps and maybe an RS1e?

How are those going?

Pretty good 👍, those are the second pair of RS2s and I believe the 4th pair of Hemps I've worked on for people for a detachable cable mod 🙂

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #47,802 of 65,471
Just for the record, I don’t want detachable cable. This way I don’t have to start the whole cable-change game + I think the cable is part of the system here (thus I have already the optimal cable).

Strangely I love how it looks too, goes with the retro/steam-punk theme very well.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #47,803 of 65,471
Just for the record, I don’t want detachable cable. This way I don’t have to start the whole cable-change game + I think the cable is part of the system here (thus I have already the optimal cable).

Strangely I love how it looks too, goes with the retro/steam-punk theme very well.

To each their own I guess, I just don't like how they "upgraded" the cable with the X series by making it thicker and heavier with a larger y split, that boggles the mind. But I guess some like the cable weighing as much as the headphones themselves. They could have easily made a nice fixed cable like the Fostex TH-X00/900 mk1.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #47,804 of 65,471
So after spending more hours with the Beautiful Audio L-Cush on my RS1e I have a few things I'd like to share.
I'll start with the comfort , they are simply a game changer for any Grado L-Cush user , my ears no longer touch the drivers & that annoying feeling of uncomfortableness that gradually creeps up after a few hours of use is now totally null & void , instead I have a pillow like comfort throughout the entire listening journey.

Now for the sound , it is rather phenomenal , I always loved the L-Cush sound the most with Grado's (well 50/50 split with TTVJ Flat Deluxe) , yet the stock pads I always found sounding to thin so I would always electrical tape mod them to thicken the sound.
I would also substitute them with clone L-Cush , purchased from different vendors from around the world using eBay , I found the clones to sound more thick , a more meat on the bones sound than the electric tape mod , yet problematically I had to buy a hundred pairs just to find one pair I liked the sound of.
The Beautiful Audio pads have presented me with an authentic Grado L-Cush sound yet they have thickened up the sound satiating that hunger I always had with the stock pads.

This brings me to my next point ,which makes me eat my own words with an extra large slice of humble pie to follow , as a few posts back I was advocating the purchasing of cloned cushions over buying from Beautiful Audio , based on cost .
Heck these Beautiful Audio pads don't come cheap , so it's a gamble if you don't like the sound .
Well humble pie time , I wish I just bit the bullet & bought these pads years ago and saved £££££ on buying all these cloned pads that have ended up in an old shoe box , knowing damn well they will never see any of my Grado headphones ever again .

Now from the aesthetic viewpoint , just look how beautiful my RS1e look , just look at them , I'm that excited by their good looks I want to show pictures of them to random strangers on the street .

Also Silvian is one awesome guy , he has replied to my emails & answered every question I had about his product .
I will be ordering a pair of merino wool pads from him very soon , I'm going to put them on my 325e / RS2e.

Now not hating on Grado , but this week I've learned they are missing a trick or two , between Beautiful Audio & my new Hifiman Ananda , I've concluded that quality comfortable pads & detachable cables are serious game changers.

Attachments

• 20210611_141305.jpg
    20210611_141305.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #47,805 of 65,471

Users who are viewing this thread

Back