Grado Fan Club!
Jun 1, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #47,671 of 65,548
Are you okay?
Let me get back to you on that, lol. And no worries I'm familiar with the brand and I have had little 'quirks' with G I bought before. Just curious about this twist....

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #47,672 of 65,548
Hi All, I noticed that on the left driver side the cable on my new rs325x has been connected in such a way that it always results in a twist when I put them on. Anyone else has this? Informed my dealer but not sure if this is a reason for an exchange.
Hey there,

got this with self-braided/ sleeved cables too. The sleeve has maybe a little twist below the shrink or is a bit too tight, which results in your named situation. I would call it handmade side effects.

Maybe you could correct it by yourself. I haven't touched these, so i don't know.

Cheers

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #47,673 of 65,548
Hey there,

got this with self-braided/ sleeved cables too. The sleeve has maybe a little twist below the shrink or is a bit too tight, which results in your named situation. I would call it handmade side effects.

Maybe you could correct it by yourself. I haven't touched these, so i don't know.

Cheers
Thanks a lot :) Fixed it with a few...twists lol.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #47,675 of 65,548
What other headphones from other manufacturers do you have? Is the hemp preferred to all others or just the grados?

Yeah very good position in the mid-fi market I must say.

I was thinking the jokes and memes have given it a bit of spice and excitement for sure. Its funny... and it works. As funny as the 420 jokes, I think Steve Guttenbery saying "grados are horn-ey" is also up there for the funnies. I keep hearing SUPER PORTA PRO .. which is something a lot of people were hungry for years.

I have been trying to understand the grado lineup and how they scale, but there is always more info on the materials of the cups than the drivers besides size. I've not come up on anything as to why the drivers differ (e.g coatings or materials or thickness, voice coil differences except to say they are lighter or something like that)

Perhaps the young Grado boys have been involved in trying to gain more young followers with a tamer sound.

:D
I have other headphones from Hifiman, Sennheiser, Meze, Audio Technica, Verum and a few Drop redos. I would say I prefer others depending on what and how I am listening. Example, if I know I am going to listen to classical and be able to relax and enjoy fully in the bed room, I will wear the GS1000e.

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #47,677 of 65,548
Just want to drop in with my take on the new SR325X. IMO there is a reason that a price difference exists between it and the Hemp.

Here are some basic differences:

SR325X:
  • 325X is bassier than the Hemp but less articulate in the bass
  • 325X is less detailed than the Hemp. 325X is a little veiled sounding in comparison
  • 325X soundstage is more congested than the Hemp
Overall, the 325X has much more in common with the Hemp than the SR325 non-X versions.

IMO, the Hemp is easily worth the extra money and is a clear upgrade over the 325X. That said, the 325X is a fine headphone in its own right, especially if you are looking for the bassiest, smoothest sounding Grado.
I have the same impressions. And I think those impressions convey over to the RS2e vs. the Hemp. Hemp is bassier than the RS2e, but the bass on the RS2e is more "refind". Hemp is less detailed than the RS2e...slightly, and the RS2e has a bigger soundstage, slightly.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #47,678 of 65,548
I listened to my RS2e before and I'm struggling with the brighter sound signature , maybe it's a case of re-tuning my brain , but I really do prefer the warmer sound of the RS1e. I'm thinking about letting the RS2e leave my family and bring in the PS500e (X ?) .
I gave my SR325e a listen and I enjoyed it , so that's a keeper.
I use to love my RS2e , what has just happened ???, I'm baffled.

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #47,680 of 65,548
I also agree. The thought of going back to the original flats was the result of some testing comparing the different pads as the x series was being developed. It was far from a random decision and the Hemp was the first model to apply these results.

Certainly it is perfectly fine to do one’s own experimenting with different pads to decide what you find most to your preference. There is already a small cottage industry revolving around different after market parts that are aimed at owners of Grados. It really is a great boon to Grado owners who want to personalize the sound and look of their phones.

As to the question of comfort, that is also a very personal decision. The thought I want to point out is that unless you have taken the time to properly adjust the fit you will most likely be shortchanging the possible results. Of course this important for any headphones but it seems be even more critical with the Grado models. Adjust the head band to get the best combination for both performance and comfort, a little bit sometimes does the trick.

I have a wide assortment of different headphones and a number of the Grados are in my opinion among the most comfortable for Me. I can listen to these for long periods of time without any issues. Many times it can just be a slight lessening of the clamping pressure to tune it in. I am sure many enthusiasts already do this. If not then give it a shot, a little time spent on this could change both the sonic and comfort factor for you.

Enjoy the journey…..

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #47,681 of 65,548
ESL-1 On this post you have a photo (could not copy it) of three pairs of Grado Woodies, it looks like a pair of GS3000e reference series, GS2000e statement series and a pair of GS3000e statement series. What is the difference between the two pairs of GS3000e, reference series and statement series ? I am at a loss on trying to figure this out !
See above post, screwed up my post .

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #47,682 of 65,548
Wow , reading back through some of this thread , It appeared you highly rated them , that must of been a tough decision .

I … have comfort issues lol. And I started to get an aversion to the “comfy pads.” The flat pads on the hemp was much less irritating for me. So i had to let them go to buy another flat pad grado (SR225x!) That’s partly why I’m not using the SR80x on the regular either. Glad they are going more with the flats, my ears are much happier

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #47,683 of 65,548
I listened to my RS2e before and I'm struggling with the brighter sound signature , maybe it's a case of re-tuning my brain , but I really do prefer the warmer sound of the RS1e. I'm thinking about letting the RS2e leave my family and bring in the PS500e (X ?) .
I gave my SR325e a listen and I enjoyed it , so that's a keeper.
I use to love my RS2e , what has just happened ???, I'm baffled.
That’s interesting! Did you check out the Hemp? That sounds like it would be more towards your warmer sound preference. But that’s really weird how your taste changed. But we all gotta go with what we like. like for me I like the combination of the Hemp and the SR225x.

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #47,684 of 65,548
I … have comfort issues lol. And I started to get an aversion to the “comfy pads.” The flat pads on the hemp was much less irritating for me. So i had to let them go to buy another flat pad grado (SR225x!) That’s partly why I’m not using the SR80x on the regular either. Glad they are going more with the flats, my ears are much happier
I wear TTVJ flat deluxe 90% of the time on all my HP's . I've put a half wrap of electrical tape around my flats aswell , just adds that touch extra sub-bass. A full wrap seems to choke the mids , but a half is sweet.

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #47,685 of 65,548
That’s interesting! Did you check out the Hemp? That sounds like it would be more towards your warmer sound preference. But that’s really weird how your taste changed. But we all gotta go with what we like. like for me I like the combination of the Hemp and the SR225x.
I've been reading all the reviews on the Hemp , but I'm simply not attracted to it . I know the PS500 will be a sound signature I will love , and also then I'll have a hybrid wood / aluminum in my collection.
Or maybe it's time to side step Grado completely and try out a new brand .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back