Grado Fan Club!
May 8, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #47,101 of 65,063
Looks really good! Was this hard to install?

It's pretty easy if you use a new steel headband and moderately difficult if you have to detach the steel headband from the original plastic rodblocks.

May 8, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #47,103 of 65,063
Excuse me if I've missed this somewhere , but has anyone tried the Hemp with a pair of L-Cush ??

Yes I have. They still sound good, but very different from the F-cush pads. The treble is considerably boosted, the upper mids are a bit more forward, the lower-mids/upper-bass are much less warm, and the bass is less but the sub-bass is about the same.

They might be a bit too bright for at times but I still like how these sound overall.

I wish I had an RS2e compare to. I'm curious how different they are when using the same pads.

May 8, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #47,104 of 65,063
Looks really good! Was this hard to install?
It wasn't hard at all, just time consuming to get it all right. The hardest part in disassembling the old was detaching the headband from the block. Since it is held by some kind of glue, takes some muscle side to side etc to crack it and some not so much muscle to not destroy the stock plastic piece entirely. Time consuming part in assembly was screwing the new pieces to the cups. They seem to need to be screwed in at the same rate, otherwise one side will stick out or be closer to the cup than the other... just took some time getting it right aesthetically. Shipibo does include extra set of screws, the Allen wrench, and a very thorough instruction booklet.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #47,105 of 65,063
It's pretty easy if you use a new steel headband and moderately difficult if you have to detach the steel headband from the original plastic rodblocks.
It wasn't hard at all, just time consuming to get it all right. The hardest part in disassembling the old was detaching the headband from the block. Since it is held by some kind of glue, takes some muscle side to side etc to crack it and some not so much muscle to not destroy the stock plastic piece entirely. Time consuming part in assembly was screwing the new pieces to the cups. They seem to need to be screwed in at the same rate, otherwise one side will stick out or be closer to the cup than the other... just took some time getting it right aesthetically. Shipibo does include extra set of screws, the Allen wrench, and a very thorough instruction booklet.
Thank you both! I'll definitely be getting this done for sure!

May 9, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #47,106 of 65,063
Thank you both! I'll definitely be getting this done for sure!
If you order all parts (leather and steel headband, gimbals and rodblocks) from Shipibo he will assemble everything for you if you want. All you have to do then is to mount the Grado earcups to the new parts.

May 9, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #47,107 of 65,063
I wish I had an RS2e compare to. I'm curious how different they are when using the same pads.

I have the RS2e and i use them with F-pads these days. They sound very good but maybe lack some treble depending on the sound material. It's a very full competent sound though.

May 9, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #47,108 of 65,063
Yes I have. They still sound good, but very different from the F-cush pads. The treble is considerably boosted, the upper mids are a bit more forward, the lower-mids/upper-bass are much less warm, and the bass is less but the sub-bass is about the same.

Your description of the Hemp with the L-pads actually doesn’t sound so bad — that sounds a little more like the Grado sound to which my ears are already accustomed to hearing. In any case, I’m definitely gonna try the L-pads because these stock F-pads are painful after about an hour.

I get these brand new a few days ago and I love the looks and dig the sound but it is different so I wouldn’t sticking with the stock sound if my poor ears weren’t in pain from the physical discomfort.

Yesterday, I had to take them off and give my ears a break — the K712 Pro were the solution. 😅
995EF15F-FE71-47B2-A15F-0F1ABF30AAE0.jpeg

May 9, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #47,109 of 65,063
Okey, so there is a natural explanation for this phenomenon i guess.. Closer you get to the driver, better bass and reverse to headroom/space. I have always thought that if you use plumming tubes in different sizes, you will get darker sound 😏. Why take the button off? Destroying a limited piece.. Its not my kind of making them better. I have heard Grados through didgeridoos, fish heads, ball bearings but almost every time going back to original. The gh's can be swaped. They looks like there made for it...

May 9, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #47,110 of 65,063
Your description of the Hemp with the L-pads actually doesn’t sound so bad — that sounds a little more like the Grado sound to which my ears are already accustomed to hearing. In any case, I’m definitely gonna try the L-pads because these stock F-pads are painful after about an hour.

I get these brand new a few days ago and I love the looks and dig the sound but it is different so I wouldn’t sticking with the stock sound if my poor ears weren’t in pain from the physical discomfort.

Yesterday, I had to take them off and give my ears a break — the K712 Pro were the solution. 😅
Have you tried stretching out the headband ? It helps a lot to reduce the clamping pressure which in turn increases the comfort factor.

Just pull the cups away from each other, as far as they'll go until you feel resistance, hold that spot for a few seconds, then let them settle back in place.

It should feel like the pads are barely touching your ears when they're on your head.

May 9, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #47,111 of 65,063

Try these covers: https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-W...ter+Cover&qid=1620568280&s=electronics&sr=1-4

I would also get pain and itchiness with L pads (F pads are worse) until I found the Jarmor covers. The ones I purchased are bigger and they fit an L pad perfectly. The ones on the link above are smaller, but I don't know how well they will fit the F pads. The bigger covers I have do not fit a TTVJ/F pad ( too loose).

May 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #47,112 of 65,063
Hello all,

I hope it’s ok to post this here...I have owned my beloved RS1s for over 10 years and while I really enjoy them as is, I find it’s time to maybe change pads for a slightly different comfort level and sound presentation....are there pads or mods that you recommend I’d look at?

thanis in advance!

May 9, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #47,113 of 65,063
May 9, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #47,115 of 65,063

Like others have said, try stretching the headband. It does help.

Also, just try to tough it out for now. The pads will break in with use (as will your ears, lol) and you will learn to fit them better with some trial and error.

I find wearing them lower and father forward (such that the pad doesn't pas the back of my ear or the bottom of my earlobe) works best for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back