Grado Fan Club!
May 3, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #47,071 of 65,468
Is the whole thing now just a hype, as one experiences it in many areas so? Or does the Hemp actually have this musicality? Or is the whole thing just a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy?

IMO, all Grado models have this musicality. The Hemp is great, but the RS1i is supposed to be one of the best (from what I've read since I have never heard one).

I think it is just trendy to praise the Hemp...just like it became all the rage to crap all over Grado around five years ago. It seems that the "young gentleman from DMS" is trying to cover both bases -- praise a Grado, while at the same time he must criticize a Grado for something...anything. He complains about plastic parts as if all other headphones are completely made out of titanium or stainless steel. Has this guy ever held an HD800? Those have a lot more plastic than a Grado. Does he prefer the build of headphones such as ZMF and/or Audeze? Well, the "build quality" of those headphones (that make some of these guys quiver with joy ) give me a great big pain in the neck because they are so darn heavy. No thanks.

May 3, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #47,072 of 65,468
Hello all :),

thanks for the answers, I appreciate it very much!

With the headphones, the only thing that really matters to me is that it makes "music". I don't really care if it reproduces every detail, every nuance, if it has the most delicate treble you can imagine, if it makes bass so black you can almost see it with your eyes, if it makes a stage that is more real than reality - I just need to be able to close my eyes and get lost in the music within a few minutes. Hence the consideration of the Hemp, as almost all the reviews I've read emphasize its "musicality".

...and just the linked video from yesterday, where the young gentleman from DMS raves about the musicality and uniqueness of the Hemp and says that it is just music and only because of that it ends up at the very, very top of his list, although it shouldn't because of its other qualities, has made me even more insecure *laughs*.

Is the whole thing now just a hype, as one experiences it in many areas so? Or does the Hemp actually have this musicality? Or is the whole thing just a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy?

Maybe the Hemp owners can "advise" something about it.

Many greetings
Abyss

I pre-ordered the Hemps as my first Grado based entirely on Steve Gutenburg's review. I had no love or hate for Grado beforehand. I was just curious and liked what Steve said about them.

Based on my nearly 1 year of listening to them I can safely say this is not just hype or a trend. They sound beyond musical. My favorite word to describe them is lush. They just have this thick and lively sound. Their only real weakness is they can sound a bit congested with really lower-mid/mid-bass focused heavy music (eg. Rip & Tear from the Doom 2016 ost) but this problem is only really noticable if you directly compare them to another headphone. These are tied for my favorite headphone next to my Lawton modded X00s and I know I'm never selling them.

Side note: I have tried many pads, and while the geekria G-cush pads are pretty good imo, the best sound is the stock F-cush/TTVJ pads.

May 3, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #47,073 of 65,468
I get confused by people saying the Hemp is the best Grado headphone and then immediately go to change the pads on them. It could be as high as 80-85% of the HEMP sound is in fact coming from the flat pads, the other 15% the driver and the housing.

From my understanding one can make an SR-80 hempish by buying the TTVJ pads and putting them on, or any grado headphone for that matter. I'm interested in getting the RS2e and putting the flat pads on, for example - which is a killer but not comfortable combo.

In review, it seems like just as much of what makes the Hemp a Hemp is the flat pad. Once you change the flat pad, it's not a hemp anymore or at least you could well be pushing it back to more normal Grado treble and bass territory.
Friend of mine gave me a pair of TTVJ flat pads and I put them on my Bushmills, like them more than the Sennheiser yellows. The TTVJ is VERY close to the stock Hemp pads, stock Hemp are a little more softer/material.

I did inquire Rich on if the Hemp pads only will be available on 4ourears and he said yes, eventually but stock is low.

May 4, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #47,074 of 65,468
I get confused by people saying the Hemp is the best Grado headphone and then immediately go to change the pads on them. It could be as high as 80-85% of the HEMP sound is in fact coming from the flat pads, the other 15% the driver and the housing.

From my understanding one can make an SR-80 hempish by buying the TTVJ pads and putting them on, or any grado headphone for that matter. I'm interested in getting the RS2e and putting the flat pads on, for example - which is a killer but not comfortable combo.

In review, it seems like just as much of what makes the Hemp a Hemp is the flat pad. Once you change the flat pad, it's not a hemp anymore or at least you could well be pushing it back to more normal Grado treble and bass territory.
It's pretty funny that all these reviewers are taking the flat pads off and praising the Hemp. I feel like almost every review I've ever read or seen says that the flats are garbage, which I totally disagree with. You take off the flats and you lose the visceral/tactile/punchy qualities of the Hemp. That being said, the Hemps do have a "special" and I dare say "musical/audiophile" sound whether you're using flats or not, and they have WAY more lower mids and bass than any other Grado I've heard (sr60, sr125, sr224, rs1, hp1000) - so much so that I'm convinced that they are using a brand new driver for the Hemp.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #47,075 of 65,468
I briefly owned the Hemp but sold it recently. While I did like it, I did not love it. I think it was the kick drums that were throwing me off. They had a cardboard sound to them for me. Am I ****ing going nuts? Lol

I did think they sounded better with some eq. I bumped up the lower bass and up the treble for some sparkle, but then it somewhat depended on the track I was playing. It sounded better with some tracks and with others I preferred it without eq.

Either way, I don't know what these dudes are hearing as I think the f pads are the way to go for them.

May 4, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #47,076 of 65,468
Not sure if anyone has commented but it also looks like on the headband, different stitching is used on various pairs of Hemps? Mine has black stitching while I notice the video review and some recently pictured have white stitching. I cant comment on the rest of the headband as far as other differences.

May 4, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #47,077 of 65,468
Not sure if anyone has commented but it also looks like on the headband, different stitching is used on various pairs of Hemps? Mine has black stitching while I notice the video review and some recently pictured have white stitching. I cant comment on the rest of the headband as far as other differences.

The more recent ones have white stitching since Grado ran out of black thread.

May 4, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #47,078 of 65,468
The more recent ones have white stitching since Grado ran out of black thread.
Maybe this should be posted on a different thread.....😜

May 4, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #47,080 of 65,468
While I did like [the Hemp], I did not love it. I think it was the kick drums that were throwing me off. They had a cardboard sound to them for me. Am I ****ing going nuts? Lol

I had a similar experience. I could hear the bass with the stock pad but it didn't feel like there was much depth to it, probably because of the small cups.

May 4, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #47,081 of 65,468
Got the geekria G cush pad in the mail. Surprised by how much of a difference there is for the sound. Not entirely sure if I like it yet but it sounds a little more airy. Gotta do more AB testing with it. It also way more comfortable than the stock pads.

Side note: I was having issues with hearing that lead me to think my ms2i had issues with the left driver. Turns out that I had super bad earwax in my left ear and I can actually hear clearly now. Which improved my listening sessions for sure.

May 4, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #47,082 of 65,468
Well…after seeing pictures of buttonless HEMP I decided to try to get rid of it (the button). It’s mainly an astetic thing. The writing/logo is a bit blurred and honestly, cheap looking.

So I tried to remove the buttons, that’s how it looks right after:

FC6549CB-B385-46B2-B888-86324483D97E.jpeg
It took than more than an hour to clean-up both sides (still not as good as factory button-less). It was really a bit tedious, but I am okay with the end result.

A4C968B5-6D2A-4696-B726-EF44BF60C049.jpeg
How did these turn out in sound btw? Any notable difference (for better or worse)? I've been thinking of going buttonless with the Hemp

May 5, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #47,083 of 65,468
How did these turn out in sound btw? Any notable difference (for better or worse)? I've been thinking of going buttonless with the Hemp
Well…I am very cautios to say anything. Mostly because removing the button is not revesible (it will break probably) and getting rid of all the glue remains is a real pain….

So I can not really recommend the procedure.

That being said I think the small congestion I heard with the HEMP at complex/loud music is no more. I am again in love with the HEMP after a long period of HP2i dominance.

May 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #47,084 of 65,468
That being said I think the small congestion I heard with the HEMP at complex/loud music is no more. I am again in love with the HEMP after a long period of HP2i dominance.

So i guess i shouldn't get rid of the buttons on my 325e or it will get even more trebly :)

May 5, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #47,085 of 65,468
Well…I am very cautios to say anything. Mostly because removing the button is not revesible (it will break probably) and getting rid of all the glue remains is a real pain….

So I can not really recommend the procedure.

I personally prefer the look of the Hemp without the buttons. I haven't noticed any congestion on my pair but we are likely listening to different music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back