Grado Fan Club!
May 2, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #47,056 of 65,552
Good evening dear forum :),

I have been an avid headphone listener for about 4 years now - the music just touches me more when I listen through headphones than through speakers. Not everyone may understand, but fortunately people are different :).

So far I have the AKG K701 and the Sennheiser HD600. Both I bought because they are "somehow" considered "standard". Actually, I'm basically satisfied with the two, but... I'm somehow also missing something, to be honest :wink:. The K701 makes a great stage, the music flies around your head, which is great for instrumental music, but it somehow also sounds very "artificial" and the voice reproduction sounds a bit like a "hole". In addition, the stage seems to my sensation, especially with singer / songwriter music, very " bloated ", that simply disturbs me to " dive away " into the music. The Sennheiser on the other hand makes "beautiful voices", but it is always a bit too "well-behaved" and "boring" for my taste, I miss "live-feeling" and the feeling of "I'm there".

After some research, I came across Grado, and I think that a pair of headphones from this brand would be a good addition to my current "assortment".

I have two Grados right now to choose from: A used RS1i, selling from private for 270 euros in a good condition and a Hemp, an exhibit from a dealer in perfect condition with warranty for 390 euros (the normal Price for a new Hemp is 500 Euro her in Germany). Saving 120 euros would be quite nice, my kids eat the hair off my head anyway :-D, but in the end is not a decisive point for me. Unfortunately, I can hear neither the RS1i nor the Hemp, so...

...I wanted to ask for help from you guys.

What do I listen to? Roughly I would say 65 percent singer/songwriter music, Leonard Cohen, Damien Rice, Ben Howard, Steve Adey etc., 20 percent rock/alternative like Marylin Manson, Smashing Pumpkins etc., 10 percent jazz and the remaining 5 percent are spread over many other genres.

As a source I use my laptop with Foobar, as Dac/Amp I have the Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

(Edit: Perhaps as a small note: Particularly important to me is the voice reproduction, which simply must / should sound dynamic and realistic, as if the artist would virtually stand in front of you and sing for you :-D.)

Generally, I like a fairly strong treble emphasis, I think, at least the AKG, which is not supposed to be inherently underexposed in this area, I raise between 3 khz and 10 khz clearly, not to mention the HD600, which without strong EQ sounds dull and completely hung up for me.

As you may see, I don't shy away from using an equalizer, so in that sense I would probably use that with the Grado as well.

Maybe there are some people in this thread who know both headphones and can help me a little :).

Many greetings :)
Abyss77

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #47,057 of 65,552
Go for the RS1i. Note that the RS1i is much different than the RS1e, but in a good way.

May 2, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #47,058 of 65,552

I have been an avid headphone listener for about 4 years now - the music just touches me more when I listen through headphones than through speakers. Not everyone may understand, but fortunately people are different :).

So far I have the AKG K701 and the Sennheiser HD600. Both I bought because they are "somehow" considered "standard". Actually, I'm basically satisfied with the two, but... I'm somehow also missing something, to be honest :wink:. The K701 makes a great stage, the music flies around your head, which is great for instrumental music, but it somehow also sounds very "artificial" and the voice reproduction sounds a bit like a "hole". In addition, the stage seems to my sensation, especially with singer / songwriter music, very " bloated ", that simply disturbs me to " dive away " into the music. The Sennheiser on the other hand makes "beautiful voices", but it is always a bit too "well-behaved" and "boring" for my taste, I miss "live-feeling" and the feeling of "I'm there".

After some research, I came across Grado, and I think that a pair of headphones from this brand would be a good addition to my current "assortment".

I have two Grados right now to choose from: A used RS1i, selling from private for 270 euros in a good condition and a Hemp, an exhibit from a dealer in perfect condition with warranty for 390 euros (the normal Price for a new Hemp is 500 Euro her in Germany). Saving 120 euros would be quite nice, my kids eat the hair off my head anyway :-D, but in the end is not a decisive point for me. Unfortunately, I can hear neither the RS1i nor the Hemp, so...

What do I listen to? Roughly I would say 65 percent singer/songwriter music, Leonard Cohen, Damien Rice, Ben Howard, Steve Adey etc., 20 percent rock/alternative like Marylin Manson, Smashing Pumpkins etc., 10 percent jazz and the remaining 5 percent are spread over many other genres.

As a source I use my laptop with Foobar, as Dac/Amp I have the Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

(Edit: Perhaps as a small note: Particularly important to me is the voice reproduction, which simply must / should sound dynamic and realistic, as if the artist would virtually stand in front of you and sing for you :-D.)

Generally, I like a fairly strong treble emphasis, I think, at least the AKG, which is not supposed to be inherently underexposed in this area, I raise between 3 khz and 10 khz clearly, not to mention the HD600, which without strong EQ sounds dull and completely hung up for me.

As you may see, I don't shy away from using an equalizer, so in that sense I would probably use that with the Grado as well.

Maybe there are some people in this thread who know both headphones and can help me a little :).

Abyss77

Go for the RS1i. If you don't like it you can sell it to me for 300 euros. :sunglasses:

On the other hand, you will own the "cool" new Grado (and give your friends envy) if you go for the Hemp.

But seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with either model. You will enjoy either one.

May 2, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #47,059 of 65,552

Abyss77
The Hemp's super power is the bass. It's why all these whippersnapper reviewers from the Beats era think that it's THE BEST GRADO EVER!

From your post it doesn't sound like bass is a top priority for you. Leonard Cohen, singer songwriter, etc. I didn't see the letters EDM in there 😄

Ergo I think you would enjoy the RS1i more and the extra money left would be gravy.

P.S. I've never actually heard an RS1i and I also love my Hemps and I dont even have a Youtube channel so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

May 2, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #47,060 of 65,552
Speaking of Youtube channels, DMS left a very positive (and yet not) review of the Hemp on his channel today:

May 3, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #47,062 of 65,552
Wow he ranked it above everything except for the Aeon Noire! Thank is impressive and I totally get it now that I have my pair
I'm still on the fence about clipping the cables on mine...I might hold off for a while.

May 3, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #47,063 of 65,552
Wow he ranked it above everything except for the Aeon Noire! Thank is impressive and I totally get it now that I have my pair
First few seconds threw me off. I love my pair but his choice in pads and calling them the only way to listen, uh no, big disagreement there. I have tried every pads incl third party and can still say stock is the best.. comfort maybe not but sound and overall. yes.

I take every review with a grain of salt but the overall common denominator seems to be these are special. I completely agree. Thre only Grado that comes close is the Bushmills and I say that because of the bass.. if only my Bushmills had a similar driver and a 8 strand xlr cable... I wonder.

May 3, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #47,064 of 65,552
dont cut the cable and boycott balanced amps . I avoid all balanced amps.
80% amps are balanced and 20% headphones are ready for balanced. what a stupid thing.

May 3, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #47,065 of 65,552
dont cut the cable and boycott balanced amps . I avoid all balanced amps.
80% amps are balanced and 20% headphones are ready for balanced. what a stupid thing.
It's not about balanced for me, it's about convenience. I'd prefer a nice detachable, lightweight cable than the garden hose that comes connected to all Grado cans.

May 3, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #47,067 of 65,552
Hello all :),

thanks for the answers, I appreciate it very much!

With the headphones, the only thing that really matters to me is that it makes "music". I don't really care if it reproduces every detail, every nuance, if it has the most delicate treble you can imagine, if it makes bass so black you can almost see it with your eyes, if it makes a stage that is more real than reality - I just need to be able to close my eyes and get lost in the music within a few minutes. Hence the consideration of the Hemp, as almost all the reviews I've read emphasize its "musicality".

...and just the linked video from yesterday, where the young gentleman from DMS raves about the musicality and uniqueness of the Hemp and says that it is just music and only because of that it ends up at the very, very top of his list, although it shouldn't because of its other qualities, has made me even more insecure *laughs*.

Is the whole thing now just a hype, as one experiences it in many areas so? Or does the Hemp actually have this musicality? Or is the whole thing just a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy?

Maybe the Hemp owners can "advise" something about it.

Many greetings
Abyss

May 3, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #47,068 of 65,552
Abyss 77 .....Just buy both headphones. You will always regret it later on.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #47,069 of 65,552
I get confused by people saying the Hemp is the best Grado headphone and then immediately go to change the pads on them. It could be as high as 80-85% of the HEMP sound is in fact coming from the flat pads, the other 15% the driver and the housing.

From my understanding one can make an SR-80 hempish by buying the TTVJ pads and putting them on, or any grado headphone for that matter. I'm interested in getting the RS2e and putting the flat pads on, for example - which is a killer but not comfortable combo.

In review, it seems like just as much of what makes the Hemp a Hemp is the flat pad. Once you change the flat pad, it's not a hemp anymore or at least you could well be pushing it back to more normal Grado treble and bass territory.

May 3, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #47,070 of 65,552
Abyss 77 .....Just buy both headphones. You will always regret it later on.

Buying both Grados? Now that would be cool :sunglasses:. Unfortunately, I'm just a normal earner, have three kids, a loan and life is not exactly getting cheaper, so buying both is not possible for me :frowning2:... at least not without a guilty conscience.

Greetings
Abyss

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back