Grado Fan Club!
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #46,951 of 65,539
I noticed today that my Grado earpads are disintegrating, black pieces flake off from them when I rub the pads...I never used the earpads. I just stored them in a zip lock in my drawer for like 7-8 years...

I am looking to order some new pads...What is a good durable pair of earpads that doesn't have this problem ? something that lasts a long time ?

I also have a pair of HD414 pads. Do HD414 pads sound as good as the stock pads ? Should I order another pair of HD414 or should I order something similar to the stock pads ?

One more question, Shall I wash my HD414 pads ? one of the pads is a bit dirty, is washing them safe ?
Recently i got this soft pads and it is the most comfortable pads i ever use... It last long and dun disintegrate after some times.. i could listens for hours and hours.. It seat on the ear like bowl pads. Those interested can pm me
grado_headphone_soft_velvet_pa_1596740959_1f06399b_progressive.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #46,952 of 65,539
I noticed today that my Grado earpads are disintegrating, black pieces flake off from them when I rub the pads...I never used the earpads. I just stored them in a zip lock in my drawer for like 7-8 years...

I am looking to order some new pads...What is a good durable pair of earpads that doesn't have this problem ? something that lasts a long time ?
One more question, Shall I wash my HD414 pads ? one of the pads is a bit dirty, is washing them safe ?

I ran into this with my all of my Grados (RS1, RS80, RS225). They were sitting for years with no use, so I didn't notice the deterioration until they needed replacement (crumbs falling everywhere). I now use L Cushions (all of these earpads won't last forever...) from 4ourears.com on my SR325e and RS80, and shipibo.audio earpads on my RS1 and though I haven't tried them yet, I have another pair for the 225. Here's a pic of the RS1 with Shipbo (from Poland). They sound great and with the confort..., I'd write home about them.

My newest SR325e is my workout headphones and I wash the L cushions after every workout and they are fine. Mostly just a water soak / squeeze / rinse. Do wash your HD pads - if they show pieces in the water bowl then replace - nbd (no big deal).

CrGBzFz.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #46,953 of 65,539
Have someone tried the shipibo vs beautiful audio pads yet? In sound? My BA woolen pads are losing their "stiffness" and bending over the driver in use. Still loving the sound though...

Edit: Since its wool, I washed them on 40 degrees celsius and after slow drying, fits perfect now...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #46,955 of 65,539
Have someone tried the shipibo vs beautiful audio pads yet? In sound? My BA woolen pads are losing their "stiffness" and bending over the driver in use. Still loving the sound though...
I have both. I actually have BA small and large (the hybrids), and the Shipibo.

First up the BA pads are just a much nicer from a materials and craftsmanship point of view. The feel great, they look great. The Shipibo pads look kinda ragged in comparison, not as premium, and the material they use I'm not a fan of. A lot of people complain about the scratchiness of Grado pads, so you would think, for an aftermarket pad you want to stay as far away as possible from anything that... but I personally find them kinda scratchy and abrasive.

Size wise the Shipibo sit right between the BA small and large. It's ever so slightly bigger in diameter and quite a bit deeper. For me, I really think the Shipibo nailed it for size. It's just right. The BA small are comfy to a point because of their really nice materials, but they still rest on your ears. The large are exquisite for comfort but you're really changing the sound a lot (same effect as the Gardo G's, but different).

Sound wise the BA small and the Shipibo are in the same ballpark for sound. Quite similar. It's been over a week since I was comparing but yeah. I liked them both. Both add bass, and take away a little openness in return.

My ideal pad would probably be if BA made a pad with the dimensions of the Shipibo.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #46,956 of 65,539
Hey there,

a friend of mine bought a hemp. He is a bit older and has no account here or is a friend of the internet at all. So i ask for it.
He is absolutly in love with the finish of the cups and the hemp in general.

But he maybe would like to return cause of the little driver (both sides) issue on the picture below.
For me it is nothing special/ no big deal. Functionality is given.
But he is afraid to change and get a pair he optically don´t like that much as the pair here and have the same issue with the driver at the end.

The dealer offers him a return for a new pair. What would you do? Any experiences?

Thank you

Nice info, only 544 pairs where made of it as i know.
One side of my SR60i is worse than what you have pictured there. I think the only function is to keep hair out, and those look fine to me. They don't affect the sound. As others have said, these are hand made, so there will be slight imperfections.

Attachments

• photo_2021-04-22_11-46-44.jpg
    photo_2021-04-22_11-46-44.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #46,957 of 65,539

Someone replaced the BA "woolen pads" with L pads (inserted the L pads in the BA outer covering) and were happy with the results. Even if you do buy the shipibo pads, you can still get your BA pads in working order.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #46,958 of 65,539
Hey there,

a friend of mine bought a hemp. He is a bit older and has no account here or is a friend of the internet at all. So i ask for it.
But he maybe would like to return cause of the little driver (both sides) issue on the picture below.

The fraying of the mesh at the edges is in every single model. The mesh is glued on at the factory by hand, and it's never perfect.

Apr 22, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #46,959 of 65,539
hi,

i‘m a new Hemp owner and i like them a lot but i‘ve the feeling that one channel has more punch in the lower regions than the other.
Pad swapping doesn‘t help. What are your experiences?

btw. this is my first Grado 🥰

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #46,960 of 65,539
Hel 2 pre ordered.
Hope It is good with my Grados

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #46,961 of 65,539
hi,

i‘m a new Hemp owner and i like them a lot but i‘ve the feeling that one channel has more punch in the lower regions than the other.
Pad swapping doesn‘t help. What are your experiences?

btw. this is my first Grado 🥰

The first thing I’d do is make sure it’s the headphone and not your hearing. Our ears often aren’t identical. Flip the headphone around and see if the issue remains in the same ear or if it flipped with the headphone.

If the issue is actually with the headphone and not your ears, then check any of your amps/DACs/source material and make sure it’s not a problem with your gear (and not simply the music you’re listening to).

If it really is an issue with the headphone and it’s noticeable enough to bother you, I’d exchange the headphone. The Grados are supposed to have matched drivers in terms of sound output to within 0.05dB. So if there’s a significant mismatch, it’s a problem that should be addressed.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #46,962 of 65,539
Someone replaced the BA "woolen pads" with L pads (inserted the L pads in the BA outer covering) and were happy with the results. Even if you do buy the shipibo pads, you can still get your BA pads in working order.
😂. Perhaps I will knit my own pads. I could do a TTVJ loaner prosject like with feedback from users.. Up anyone? First ten on list via PM 😏

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #46,964 of 65,539
I have both. I actually have BA small and large (the hybrids), and the Shipibo.

First up the BA pads are just a much nicer from a materials and craftsmanship point of view. The feel great, they look great. The Shipibo pads look kinda ragged in comparison, not as premium, and the material they use I'm not a fan of. A lot of people complain about the scratchiness of Grado pads, so you would think, for an aftermarket pad you want to stay as far away as possible from anything that... but I personally find them kinda scratchy and abrasive.

Size wise the Shipibo sit right between the BA small and large. It's ever so slightly bigger in diameter and quite a bit deeper. For me, I really think the Shipibo nailed it for size. It's just right. The BA small are comfy to a point because of their really nice materials, but they still rest on your ears. The large are exquisite for comfort but you're really changing the sound a lot (same effect as the Gardo G's, but different).

Sound wise the BA small and the Shipibo are in the same ballpark for sound. Quite similar. It's been over a week since I was comparing but yeah. I liked them both. Both add bass, and take away a little openness in return.

My ideal pad would probably be if BA made a pad with the dimensions of the Shipibo.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back