Grado Fan Club!
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #46,726 of 65,548
I also compared them to the ttvj pads I own. I thought they were the normal pads, but perhaps I ordered the deluxe pads. Who knows...it was years ago.
Regarding the pads...this is here the HEMP and the RS2e. The diamater of the HEMP is 58.5mm at the rim. RS2e is 54.5 mm. I left the calliper at the size of the HEMP.

AEA2F81D-A5A6-4CE5-9948-6C2401C0C9C7.jpeg

The pads of the HEMP have an outher diameter of 78mm, the TTVJ Delux I just got a week ago have the same. But there is a clear difference between the size of the opening. HEMP F pad: 55mm, TTVJ delux: 51mm. TTVJ is on the left and again, I left the Caliper at the HEMP’s size.

133078C6-4964-4BCE-BE85-3CA1807F0278.jpeg

They can not be the same and that’s why I stated (much) earlier that the F pads from my HEMP fall off from the RS2e.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #46,727 of 65,548
Thank you guys. Thanks @carboncopy for your post above.

I briefly tried the Hemps earlier today and thought to myself they could use a bit more clarity. I got my old rs1 with buttons out to compare them. The problem with my Rs1 is that the pads (ttvj flat pads) are starting to deteriorate. I'm sure they're around 5 years old (or older). Anyhow, the pads are a bit different but I wasn't sure if it was just from the old ttvj pads being so used or what.
One thing is sure, I preferred the sound on both the hemp and Rs1 with the old ttvj pads.
They are a bit more compressed and not as thick as the f-pads.
I felt they cleared up things a bit and in comparison did not have the somewhat muffled sound of the f-pads.

@carboncopy do you hear any difference between those two pads?
I'm thinking of getting the ttvj deluxe pads but wanted to see what experience you guys had with the three flat pads in general.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #46,728 of 65,548
To be honest, I did not try it yet. I bought 2 TTVJ pads. One went straigth to my RS2e the other to my HP2i. The latter had also an F-pad, but slightly different. Maybe I should order 2 more pairs :) One for the HEMP and one for why not :)

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #46,729 of 65,548
Regarding the pads...this is here the HEMP and the RS2e. The diamater of the HEMP is 58.5mm at the rim. RS2e is 54.5 mm. I left the calliper at the size of the HEMP.

The pads of the HEMP have an outher diameter of 78mm, the TTVJ Delux I just got a week ago have the same. But there is a clear difference between the size of the opening. HEMP F pad: 55mm, TTVJ delux: 51mm. TTVJ is on the left and again, I left the Caliper at the HEMP’s size.

They can not be the same and that’s why I stated (much) earlier that the F pads from my HEMP fall off from the RS2e.
I stand corrected! I actually never even put the ttjv deluxe pads on the hemps - merely inspected them and felt them. Also was reading on a different forum (superbestaudiofriends) that they were the same. I'll go ahead and put them on. I'm actually glad that you pointed this out :)

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #46,730 of 65,548

I think that's just because the larger diameter of the Hemps stretches the pads. I've been messing with the Grado L-cush pads on my Hemps and now they don't fit my SR80e as tight as they did before.

As far as I can tell the F-cush pads are the same as the TTVJ deluxe flats (I only have the deluxe so may the normal one are even closer).

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #46,731 of 65,548
I think that's just because the larger diameter of the Hemps stretches the pads. I've been messing with the Grado L-cush pads on my Hemps and now they don't fit my SR80e as tight as they did before.

As far as I can tell the F-cush pads are the same as the TTVJ deluxe flats (I only have the deluxe so may the normal one are even closer).
They have a bigger cut. This is no stretch effect.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #46,733 of 65,548
100% for me too. I came from a 2 channel background, I was that guy in the dorm (in the 2000s nonetheless) cranking Peter Frampton out of my Adcom 350w per channel amp and still prefer actual speakers over headphones. But Grado came as close as I could to a portable version of that sound. GH2s are my reference for any pair basically!
Hilarious. I was the guy who's roommate did that in 1981 with my gear. One day I was like 500 meters away from my college apartment at my girlfriend's place. And I heard Stanley Clarke's School Days album. After a while I realized holy crap that's my system!

When I got back I found my roommate had taken both my towers and pointed them out the window, cranked up my amp and was blasting the neighborhood.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #46,734 of 65,548
The F pads ARE ttvj pads (normal, not the Deluxe type).
But the Hemp stock pads = tvvj deluxe pads - right? I previously bought those and they do look and feel the same.....

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #46,735 of 65,548
But the Hemp stock pads = tvvj deluxe pads - right? I previously bought those and they do look and feel the same.....

I thought they were the normal tvvj pads. I'm pretty sure that when I bought them they didn't offer the deluxe version. The pads on the Hemp are identical to the ones I purchased years ago from tvvj. Perhaps normal and deluxe ttvj pads are identical.

There has been so much talk about these pads that I just put them on my RS2e to see (hear) what the fuss is all about. They fit perfectly, so either the Hemp pads are normal\deluxe tvvj pads that stretched over time or they are specially made for Grado. Yeap, they are uncomfortable. I guess I have sensitive ears.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #46,736 of 65,548
Maybe we should just ask Todd? He’s around here sometimes, right? He should be able to clear this all up I think 🤔

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #46,737 of 65,548
Hilarious. I was the guy who's roommate did that in 1981 with my gear. One day I was like 500 meters away from my college apartment at my girlfriend's place. And I heard Stanley Clarke's School Days album. After a while I realized holy crap that's my system!

When I got back I found my roommate had taken both my towers and pointed them out the window, cranked up my amp and was blasting the neighborhood.
Haha glad I'm not the only one. Back then, I still had similar tastes in genres, but metal mostly dominated my listening time. I used to crank Amon Amarth to the point the double bass made the 2nd floor of my dorm feel like someone was idling a monster truck. Only got one write up, surprisingly (and thankfully) because the other time we were playing 3-6 Mafia and having hall parties that my R.A. (secretly) participated in. Good times.

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #46,738 of 65,548
There has been so much talk about these pads that I just put them on my RS2e to see (hear) what the fuss is all about. They fit perfectly, so either the Hemp pads are normal\deluxe tvvj pads that stretched over time or they are specially made for Grado. Yeap, they are uncomfortable. I guess I have sensitive ears.

Yes they are uncomfortable! I have zero problems with L-pads but the F-pads feel very bad to my ears.

Their sound on the RS2e is good albeit a little veiled.

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #46,739 of 65,548
What's everyone's thoughts on the RS1e and PS500e? I've been considering these for a while but can't decide which one I should get.

Comparisons to the Hemps would be a great help since I own and love those.

I have not compared Hemp and PS500e. But from what i read here they should sound pretty similar. The PS500e is very balanced with toned down but still more than enough treble, a good mid body and - for a Grado - lots of bass.

In a line SR325e -> RS2e -> PS500e -> White you have

Treble 150% -> 120% -> 100% -> 95%
Mids 75% -> 90 % -> 100% -> 125%
Bass 75 % -> 100% -> 125% -> 125 %

They all sound great to me in their own way, but this is my imho take on how they sound relative to each other.

From what i read here the RS1e is the odd man out in this forum. It seems to be considered not worth getting. Which makes me kinda interested in it. Could anybody fit it in my %-system up there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back