Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #45,631 of 65,063
probably the gs3000e because the pads go AROUND the ears. The L Cushion of the RS2e (and PS500) is either too small to go around my ear, and too big to sit comfortably. And you know.. cocobolo.

Edit: I wonder how they sound though. It seems the higher end headphones don't follow the tuning of the lower end stuff at all. NO 2K peak?!
Cocobolo. I'd be tempted to go and get myself a Taylor Custom Shop at the same time...

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #45,632 of 65,063
A material that's pliable enough to bend into whatever shape you want is one that isn't going to last terribly long compared to one that holds its shape even when put under stress. Additionally, you'll have to constantly readjust it as the general wear and tear of usage causes it to loosen up, shortening its lifespan even more.

As a rule, if nearly no one does something that seems easy and obvious, the reason they don't is probably also easy and obvious.

My experience with all of the Grados I have had is they rarely ever ever lose the adjustment you make. Even if you decide to go back and forth adjusting even to experiment would not be a issue for the material. I have never had any of mine or my headbuddies have an issue. Basically starting when they first began marketing headphones. With the exception of the Joseph Signature HP1000 all other Grados are as I described. Joe Grado put metal rods in the headband, you have to be in good physical condition to bend those with care. BTW, I was also in audio retail and a Grado dealer. All my customers got the short instructional in order to achieve the best sound and comfort.
We sold MANY Grados over the years.

Any current new in the box Grado has the same recommendation on bending the band to achieve best comfort (sometimes best sound too) in the box.

My experience, YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #45,633 of 65,063
Bought a 2nd hemp to use exclusively as a portable, other one for main listening system.

Have to admit Grado has a winner here for an amazing price tag. Great combo of good sound and small size. Good when I'm tired of having something encircle my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #45,634 of 65,063
Bought a 2nd hemp to use exclusively as a portable, other one for main listening system.

Have to admit Grado has a winner here for an amazing price tag. Great combo of good sound and small size. Good when I'm tired of having something encircle my ears.

I think the Hemp is tuned so well. It’s detailed, fairly neutral, but still extremely fun to listen to. I like listening to hip hop on them, metal on them, acoustic guitar sounds so realistic on them, I also like to listen to the hemp when I want something a little more relaxed compared to the Grado house sound. Music not well recorded sounds great on them too.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #45,635 of 65,063
I think the Hemp is tuned so well. It’s detailed, fairly neutral, but still extremely fun to listen to. I like listening to hip hop on them, metal on them, acoustic guitar sounds so realistic on them, I also like to listen to the hemp when I want something a little more relaxed compared to the Grado house sound. Music not well recorded sounds great on them too.
synthwave (i.e. like The Midnight) is pretty amazing on hemp as well

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #45,636 of 65,063
synthwave (i.e. like The Midnight) is pretty amazing on hemp as well

Oh man, i can only imagine. The low end matched with that 2k bump really makes synthetic/electronic music pop on them. Kraftwerk sounded amazing.

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #45,637 of 65,063
Oh man, i can only imagine. The low end matched with that 2k bump really makes synthetic/electronic music pop on them. Kraftwerk sounded amazing.
Yeh if you got a few min tonight give this a shot (Sway by Wolfclub) :)

also:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #45,638 of 65,063
I'm impressed with folk that have several pairs of phones, and use them all; I have just 2 full size, and I rarely use the 325e; they are my bash about pair for listening to rock when I've had a few beers and I start to think I'm Neil Peart or Angus Young. For everything else Hemp with the modded pads.
If I bought better phones, I'd use them all the time too.... That said, I don't think I'd ever want to sell any of them, they are part of my family, just like my guitars and my sons!

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #45,639 of 65,063

That's saying something, given your other phones.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #45,641 of 65,063
I'm impressed with folk that have several pairs of phones, and use them all; I have just 2 full size, and I rarely use the 325e; they are my bash about pair for listening to rock when I've had a few beers and I start to think I'm Neil Peart or Angus Young. For everything else Hemp with the modded pads.
If I bought better phones, I'd use them all the time too.... That said, I don't think I'd ever want to sell any of them, they are part of my family, just like my guitars and my sons!
Haha, aside from my AirPods that I use on the go I have my gh3 and hemp. They both sound radically different and i don’t think I’d be content with having one and not the other. I guess I’m just enjoying variety lol

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #45,642 of 65,063
Not quite EDM, but a glorious cover of a classic:

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #45,643 of 65,063

Attachments

• oldvsnew2.jpg
    oldvsnew2.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #45,644 of 65,063
Point really acknowledged. Don’t really know how this started, but when you (I) have the dna of a collector of beautiful things, then the need is a different animal. I can actually listen to one of my grados while admiring the wood of another:k701smile: Really stupid and not explainable to anybody sane....

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #45,645 of 65,063
The unstoppable force meets the immovable object!

How do you like them compared to your HD800S? Probably a little silly to compare headphones so far apart in price, but I'm curious as I've never heard an 800 before.

I love my Hemp, too. It would be awesome to have a 2nd pair. But I think if I was gonna buy another Grado headphone in that price point, I'd probably grab the RS2e. Keep hearing amazing things about that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back