Grado Fan Club!
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #45,346 of 65,523
Thanks a lot for that recommendation of the pads. I will definitely be doing some pad-rolling between them.

The darker signature is also what I worry about the most. I know that with enough brain-burn-in I can accommodate to that over time. Then what matters most is how the music flows, the detail-level, the instrument seperation, the speed, the punch and the slam and the sound staging.

With no meets, no can jams, no public stores open it is impossible to get to listen to them. So, the wallet will have to bleed instead.

Reading your prioritities you will love the HEMPs :)

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #45,347 of 65,523
Thanks a lot for that recommendation of the pads. I will definitely be doing some pad-rolling between them.

The darker signature is also what I worry about the most. I know that with enough brain-burn-in I can accommodate to that over time. Then what matters most is how the music flows, the detail-level, the instrument seperation, the speed, the punch and the slam and the sound staging.

With no meets, no can jams, no public stores open it is impossible to get to listen to them. So, the wallet will have to bleed instead.
I hoped for the same brain training, but 2 things conspired against that; 325e and using the EQ in MusicBee. Part of me (I'm sure same for most of us) push back against customising, believing that the original design must be the best. I've got all of the Geekria pads bar their version of G cushion, and these are the best compromise for me. Not as bright as 325e, but a brighter, more airy less "inside your head" presentation than the stock flat F pads. Bass appears to be unaffected wrt to depth and slam.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #45,348 of 65,523
I hoped for the same brain training, but 2 things conspired against that; 325e and using the EQ in MusicBee. Part of me (I'm sure same for most of us) push back against customising, believing that the original design must be the best. I've got all of the Geekria pads bar their version of G cushion, and these are the best compromise for me. Not as bright as 325e, but a brighter, more airy less "inside your head" presentation than the stock flat F pads. Bass appears to be unaffected wrt to depth and slam.

I was in the SR325-fan club in here years ago when I had the Gold-version. Together with RS1i they are probably the headphones, that have given me the most musical enjoyment. Back then I could't get the sound edgy enough. Today I have mellowed a bit more. I get a some of that edgy sound in the SR225i so the Hemps will probably be a good contrast.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #45,350 of 65,523
I missed the chance to pick up a GH2 recently, selling new from a UK retailer for just £399, but I'm intrigued by the comparison between GH1, GH2, GH3 and GH4. Are they essentially the same phones released as limited editions over a period, or are they significantly different technically as well?

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #45,351 of 65,523
I heard from a local Grado dealer that the Hemp will be discontinued very soon.
I've been searching for GH series, and everywhere online has hemp for sale, but none on any discount at all, no surprise there, but indicative of continued demand.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #45,352 of 65,523
I've been searching for GH series, and everywhere online has hemp for sale, but none on any discount at all, no surprise there, but indicative of continued demand.

The Hemp are still available online from different dealers, but what I heard is that Grado will not send new pairs to the dealers in the future. So I imagine they will disappear from the market eventually later this year.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #45,353 of 65,523
I just picked up a pair of GH1's to compliment my GH2's, which I got from the retailer you mentioned, a few months back...I was curious to see how the two compared. I don't think there is enough difference to justify keeping both, certainly not to my cloth ears :stuck_out_tongue: I'll spend a bit more time doing comparisons..but it's quite likely I'll keep one and sell the other. :o2smile:

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #45,354 of 65,523
The Hemp are still available online from different dealers, but what I heard is that Grado will not send new pairs to the dealers in the future. So I imagine they will disappear from the market eventually later this year.
Madness. Hope this isn't true

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #45,355 of 65,523
I just got my PS500E's back from Grado. I Had them serviced due to a little distortion in one ear and the upper cable became too stiff. They replaced the cable and the Drivers. I did notice that the drivers look different from the ones i originally had (Red magnet) they now have a Black magnet and seems there are more hole punches for some reason. they seem to sound the same minus a touch less bass (Probably due to them being new) but other than that they are fantastic and basically a new pair. My pair was out of warranty so i had to pay $125 not bad considering these retail for 600. Does anyone else here have a more recent set of PS500E that can confirm the driver they have?

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #45,356 of 65,523
Madness. Hope this isn't true
The Hemp was always billed as a limited edition model. This day was going to come.

I do hope they incorporate some of its design elements into a New regular model.

Curiously excited for the next limited edition brings. 😄

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #45,357 of 65,523
I missed the chance to pick up a GH2 recently, selling new from a UK retailer for just £399, but I'm intrigued by the comparison between GH1, GH2, GH3 and GH4. Are they essentially the same phones released as limited editions over a period, or are they significantly different technically as well?
GH3 are significantly smaller, even more so then my SR60e. GH4 have slightly bigger cups than the others. GH1 and 2 appear mostly the same on the surface, but for the different wood. Not sure about the drivers. #toolazytolookitup

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #45,358 of 65,523
The Hemp was always billed as a limited edition model. This day was going to come.

I do hope they incorporate some of its design elements into a New regular model.

Curiously excited for the next limited edition brings. 😄
GHii - Grado Hemp series ii (as in Roman 2)?

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #45,360 of 65,523

Users who are viewing this thread

Back