Grado Fan Club!
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #45,152 of 65,063
Would going from MS2i to Hemp be a worthy upgrade? I see so many gushing reviews of the Hemp that it makes me desire it but then I fear about missing out on the MS2i sound since it was(not sure if it still is) the more balanced sounding Grado sounding headphone. I came across a headphone site that state they have them in stock and selling my ms2i for the hemp would not be that crazy of a financial jump.
Hemp, Rs2e, GH2 are all roughly same price, all very good, and with their stock pads all apparently quite different (in the Gradoverse) Changing pads can bring them all closer together, as can EQ in your media player etc.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #45,153 of 65,063
Following from above, I've decided not to invest in £££ in what would be very similar capability, so what would be a significant jump up from the Hemp / RS2e / GH2 triumvirate, in their respective signature positioning?

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #45,154 of 65,063
The Hemp is awesome. Didn't like the looks, pads and theme. After couple of months I could buy a used demo model voor 450.- euro.... Glad I did. But both grado's will make you happy.
I personally think wrapping white hemp cord around the headband of the hemp is one of the best mods one can do for it and the hemp becomes one of the best-looking grados in my view

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #45,155 of 65,063
Would going from MS2i to Hemp be a worthy upgrade? I see so many gushing reviews of the Hemp that it makes me desire it but then I fear about missing out on the MS2i sound since it was(not sure if it still is) the more balanced sounding Grado sounding headphone. I came across a headphone site that state they have them in stock and selling my ms2i for the hemp would not be that crazy of a financial jump.
From memory (I owned the MS2i years ago...and I not longer have the Hemp) I think it is an upgrade.

If you can, buy the Hemp before selling the MS2i. If you don't think the Hemp is better you can return or sell it...and if you do like it, you can go ahead and sell the MS2i.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #45,156 of 65,063
Spending more time with my RS2e and Hemps. Seeing what music shines on both. Firstly, i think any normal person would be just fine with one or the other, but we are not normal people are we lol.

The hemps are sounding amazing with Hip Hop music. The low end just growls more than the RS2e. So music with a groove, or a beat really benefit from that. I’ve enjoyed listening to metal on these too. Mostly because a lot of metal isn’t recorded great and the treble on these are as smooth as butter. Still so much fun to listen to.

RS2e- Rock music is my favorite on here. The way lead guitar sounds blows my mind each and every time. Lead instruments have a BITE to them. Acoustic music sounds incredible. Music with live instruments shines. How airy and exciting everything sounds is thrilling.

I think both complement each other nicely. I’m so glad i came around on the Hemp. The Hemp is Grados HD 600/6XX/650 series, and the RS2e is that classic grado sound refined and perfected.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #45,157 of 65,063
There's been a recent infusion of fans who feel the slightly more subdued tuning of e-series drivers meets their needs, so the demand isn't quite there anymore. The >$1500 headphone market has also since exploded, with Grado themselves introducing the $1800 GS3000e and $2700 PS2000e, so people with that kind of money will just consider those instead of getting something that's no longer serviceable. The HP1000 is now more of a museum piece than something you'd want to actually use.

Grado is still at it! Thanks for the response.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #45,158 of 65,063
Both the RS2e and the PS500e are upgrades. I think the RS2e would be the "logical upgrade" to the SR325e.

Thanks everyone. I took a totally different route -- went wireless with GW100 since a good deal came up in the sale section. These would be a good replacement for the Senn PX550 that I currently use at home, since I prefer having some ability to hear the surroundings as opposed to being cut off totally. PX550 worked well on the subway, not so much at home now.

rs2e or ps500e, well, I will continue reading - that's the fun part of being on this forum. :)

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #45,159 of 65,063
41041ACC-C484-4C9E-A84D-9538B71C6101.jpeg

Last purchase for a little while! Love the look of them :)

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #45,164 of 65,063
For those who the Shipibo aluminum gimbal/rod sets, how much difference in weight is there to the original Grado gimbals and rods?

Edit: Also, does anyone know if the "F" pads that come on the Hemp are the same as the standard TTVJ flat pads or are they same as the deluxe flat pads?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #45,165 of 65,063
I remember my first "Last Grado" too :)

Haha.

These GH2’s are fantastic to my ears, I think they’re somewhere between the hemps and the RS2e in terms of their sound. Giving them a good initial run through now. Will try to put some thoughts up for the three sometime soon (and maybe my older 325 and GW100 is anyone is interested), just need to select some tracks to easily test and rank them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back