Grado Fan Club!
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #44,941 of 65,523
Couldn’t help myself and bought some Hemp’s. My collection now:
94A0250E-A1AE-42F6-B0EC-C09454BFA639.jpeg

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #44,942 of 65,523
Couldn’t help myself and bought some Hemp’s. My collection now:
94A0250E-A1AE-42F6-B0EC-C09454BFA639.jpeg

That's just beautiful!

Could you make a brief comparison between the RS2e x Hemp and RS2e x GW100. I was thinking of buying a GW100 but the reviews and opinions say they don't have the Grado sound. Do you think it's worth buying? (I have a RS2 e and a PS500e)

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #44,943 of 65,523
Does anyone know of a good quality leather hard case for headphones? (So far I’m not having much luck, and I am just thinking of going with one from Grado or Geekria, and I am open to any suggestions.)

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #44,944 of 65,523
Does anyone know of a good quality leather hard case for headphones? (So far I’m not having much luck, and I am just thinking of going with one from Grado or Geekria, and I am open to any suggestions.)

Just bought these from Ali Express:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK4VzxP

They're pretty simple and straight forward, but I guess you would be better off with either ones you mentioned.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #44,945 of 65,523
Could you make a brief comparison between the RS2e x Hemp and RS2e x GW100. I was thinking of buying a GW100 but the reviews and opinions say they don't have the Grado sound. Do you think it's worth buying? (I have a RS2 e and a PS500e)

The GW100 is more of an all rounder than the RS2e. I have my RS2e for classical, jazz and folk and it absolutely excels at these but I find it a little too unforgiving/bright for some other genres, the GW100 has sounded great with everything I’ve thrown at it so far plus having a wireless open option is great for when I don’t want to be tethered lol. I think the Hemp will be similar to the GW100 in that respect but I need to give them a good listen first, will report back once I’ve given them some time :)

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #44,946 of 65,523
Just bought these from Ali Express:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK4VzxP

They're pretty simple and straight forward, but I guess you would be better off with either ones you mentioned.

I appreciate the link, I’m not going to complain about saving money, depending on the vendor/product (usually an OEM) you can get the same products directly from the source on aliexpress so I just use it to get rebadged items for cheaper.

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #44,947 of 65,523
Something like this might be promising.

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #44,948 of 65,523
Something like this might be promising.

Oh, now that might be a perfect option. I didn't think of camera lens bags or binocular bags at all, so thanks for the idea. I should be able to find something with a front opening compartment instead of a top/side compartment opening I'm hoping.

(so far I’ve found one alternative thats available for sale (yours is still a better choice), but there has to be something better then that or this https://www.hardgraft.com/products/popup-classic)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #44,949 of 65,523
I fitted my SR225i with some excellent Cocobolo cups from Yew Woodworks: significant improvements in sound and appearance. Leather headband from Turbulent Labs is on order.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #44,950 of 65,523
Guys! My Rs2e arrives today! I’m pumped to experience the greatness I keep hearing about. How does it compare/compete with some of its $400-500 competitors? Like the hd660, LCD-1, Dt 1990 pro, hifiman sundara? Just curious if any of you guys have experiences with these others

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #44,951 of 65,523
Oh, now that might be a perfect option. I didn't think of camera lens bags or binocular bags at all, so thanks for the idea. I should be able to find something with a front opening compartment instead of a top/side compartment opening I'm hoping.

(so far I’ve found one alternative thats available for sale (yours is still a better choice), but there has to be something better then that or this https://www.hardgraft.com/products/popup-classic)
Wow that case is way overpriced , The other one at 60 far better. You could buy a pair of SR 225 And get change to buy some music instead......lol

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #44,952 of 65,523
The rs2e is quite a bit more refined at the expense of that treble energy. I personally think the rs2e is one of the best Grados you can buy at any price point, but if you're looking for that lovely energy the sr series is hard to beat and I would point to the sr225e as the pinnacle of that type of sound without becoming overly bright. They work well with third party g cushions as well taming the treble further while adding body and bass at the expense of some detail. But the rs2e may be the golden goose you're looking for, is there any place you can audition the sr225e and the rs2e?

===========================================
That sounds like really good advice to me! I own several Grados, including the SR80e, SR225e, GR10e and GS1000i, while I love them all the one that gets the most use is the SR225e, which I think is (for myself at least) the best value in the Grado line, and a very noticeable upgrade from the SR80e (sounds like an SR80e with better low end/bass and more refined soundstage, more musically expressive).

I do listen at fairly low to medium volumes, which is how I think many Grados sound their best (especially the lower cost, such as the SR series). Some notes: I did the reverse cushion mod (more comfortable for me) and out of the box it sounded very ragged, but after 50+ hours of burn in they sounded just right and still do (I've been using them for a few years). As with all things audiophile, be sure to audition a broken in pair with your own system as YMMV!

The RS2e is a safe bet if even better sound is needed and is an all time top Grado recommendation. But for me, I could be happy with just the R225e if I had to choose just one out of my lineup. The GS1000i sound sublime and are an obvious step up from the SR225e, but I use the GS1000i much less often.

This site doesn't get the traffic it did up 'till a few years ago - does anyone know when it slowed? Anyway, nice to see this thread active, Grado's are very special and musical sounding headphones!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #44,953 of 65,523
The Shipibo earpads have arrived time to test them!

(edit: I will be only comparing them against the stock, TTVJ flats, and G cushions since those are all I have. I am waiting for an order at beautiful, and I can’t wait to use those merino and leather cushions in a project.)

95D35DB4-F0F5-4130-945A-DED914719CC2.jpeg

C5257F4F-5833-4971-855F-127E76B15592.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #44,954 of 65,523
What do you guys think about repairing Grado drivers ... I have some quite old SR125 that work like a charm until a few weeks ago, when one driver suddenly died. I have not used them for quite some time and after taking them out for a spin, one driver is just dead. Quite unfortunate. I can not really be sure that were not broken by some of the kids or even the wife, but surely there is no visible damage. Took out a multimeter to measure the impedance directly on the driver terminals and I get nothing (overload), while the other measures fine at 33,6Ohm. Is there a way of checking the wire from the terminal to the coil without completely wrecking the unit? Or should I just get another one instead? Wanted do convert these to BT and not be forced to buy the GW100 ... I guess it was not meant to be. Still have the SR325i though, but I would not want to mod these.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #44,955 of 65,523
===========================================
That sounds like really good advice to me! I own several Grados, including the SR80e, SR225e, GR10e and GS1000i, while I love them all the one that gets the most use is the SR225e, which I think is (for myself at least) the best value in the Grado line, and a very noticeable upgrade from the SR80e (sounds like an SR80e with better low end/bass and more refined soundstage, more musically expressive).

I do listen at fairly low to medium volumes, which is how I think many Grados sound their best (especially the lower cost, such as the SR series). Some notes: I did the reverse cushion mod (more comfortable for me) and out of the box it sounded very ragged, but after 50+ hours of burn in they sounded just right and still do (I've been using them for a few years). As with all things audiophile, be sure to audition a broken in pair with your own system as YMMV!

The RS2e is a safe bet if even better sound is needed and is an all time top Grado recommendation. But for me, I could be happy with just the R225e if I had to choose just one out of my lineup. The GS1000i sound sublime and are an obvious step up from the SR225e, but I use the GS1000i much less often.

This site doesn't get the traffic it did up 'till a few years ago - does anyone know when it slowed? Anyway, nice to see this thread active, Grado's are very special and musical sounding headphones!
Thanks and I agree wholeheartedly, I regret selling mine as the sr225e was one of my favorite Grado's! Very good vfm for the sound you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back