Grado Fan Club!
Jan 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #44,641 of 65,523
They definitely scale with better gear.
Yes, they definitely do.
The only Grado I preferred with a SS amp was my PS1000.

Thanks for this reminder!
I tried the G cush on my fresh GH1 and much preferred the L, and continued to break them in, as the G sounded thin, and low in level actually.
Now at least 100 hours in, they fill the G as well as my GS2Ke, and with truly remarkable detailI'd been enjoying some of my lute recordings (Lindberg, Hofstotter, Barto) with GS2Ke, and GH1/G has taken up the duty.
:gs1000smile:
This is exactly why I didn't buy another Grado.
I will be listening to either my GH1 or 2 tonight since it's been a few weeks now and I'm missing them.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #44,642 of 65,523
But why not just stick with the F pads? I guess I’m lucky that the comfort isn’t an issue for me.
I do use stock pads. But if someone else didn't find them comfy I was just saying the Geekria flats were useable too.

After flattening the headband and shaping it back I'm having zero comfort issues. Way better than any clamping headphones that need a seal

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #44,643 of 65,523
Are you guys using tubes with your Grados? Is it some kind of special Hemp tube synergy, or are you using SS gear? :)
I've had a couple tube amps (Hagerman Tuba, Feliks Echo) bookmarked in my browser for months but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Need to find a place to stash it and use it.

What I actually use most of the time is a Topping DX7s or an Acmee MF01 DAP; depending on where I want to listen. I've also used a Dragonfly Cobalt and a Schitt stack but those have largely been phased out with the Topping these days. I've never found a bad match but obviously more power helps.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #44,644 of 65,523
I've had a couple tube amps (Hagerman Tuba, Feliks Echo) bookmarked in my browser for months but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Need to find a place to stash it and use it.

What I actually use most of the time is a Topping DX7s or an Acmee MF01 DAP; depending on where I want to listen. I've also used a Dragonfly Cobalt and a Schitt stack but those have largely been phased out with the Topping these days. I've never found a bad match but obviously more power helps.
Gh2 and gs3000e sounds very well in my ifi micro idsd signature, xbass is a great addition to improve the lack of subbass.
But.. In my otl amplifier, feliks audio expressivo mark ii, both grados sound wonderfull, mids are very detailled and highs are sweet and extended.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #44,646 of 65,523
Question for the group, I'm looking for a pair of TWS earbuds for jogging as I'm at times accidentally pulling on my er2xr's cable and I'm worried I may damage them, the Grado gt220's aren't suitable for running right? If the gt220's won't fit that role are there any other TWS earbuds that have a sound profile similar to that of the Grado house sound?

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #44,647 of 65,523
I can't seem to get my GS3k sounding good out of the woo audio 33 amp. Sounds shrill and no mids/bass.

But when I run it out of my iBasso dx220 it sounds really really good. All the mids and bass fill in and the highs are much better too.

Probably too much gain from the wa33. What tube amps are you guys using your grado statement series with?

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #44,649 of 65,523
I can't seem to get my GS3k sounding good out of the woo audio 33 amp. Sounds shrill and no mids/bass.

But when I run it out of my iBasso dx220 it sounds really really good. All the mids and bass fill in and the highs are much better too.

Probably too much gain from the wa33. What tube amps are you guys using your grado statement series with?

Feliks audio expressivo mark 2

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #44,650 of 65,523
How well do grados pair with schiit stacks? Is there a particular amp that most agree has the best synergy?
I've used a Schiit stack with Hemps, Whites, GS1000, and possibly some others. (I have a lot of Grados.) They were splendid.

Regulars on this thread seem to have quite a diversity of amps. I think Grados generally are not fussy with amps.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #44,651 of 65,523
That's strange.
I've been using my Grado's out of both of my past & current WA33 and they sound excellent. Just yesterday I was running the GH2 w/G out of the WA33 without issue on low impedance & and low level, of course. This was the thing about the GS3000e sometimes it sounded real good to me and other times it didn't and it didn't matter what amp I used. This was also a GS3000e with +300hrs on it. I just couldn't figure that headphone out which is why I preferred my GH1 and then bought the GH2.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #44,652 of 65,523
That's strange.
I've been using my Grado's out of both of my past & current WA33 and they sound excellent. Just yesterday I was running the GH2 w/G out of the WA33 without issue on low impedance & and low level, of course. This was the thing about the GS3000e sometimes it sounded real good to me and other times it didn't and it didn't matter what amp I used. This was also a GS3000e with +300hrs on it. I just couldn't figure that headphone out which is why I preferred my GH1 and then bought the GH2.

i'll give it another shot sometime down the road. right now, it is playing out of the dx220 and it sounds really good. a lot smoother and richer sounding than it was with the wa33. i also had it on low impedance and low gain settings. will aim to hit 150-200 hrs of running in. if i cant get it to sound right out of the wa33, i may end up returning it for store credit and trying something else like the raal/hsa1b combo or even try the empyrean again.

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #44,653 of 65,523
I've used a Schiit stack with Hemps, Whites, GS1000, and possibly some others. (I have a lot of Grados.) They were splendid.

Regulars on this thread seem to have quite a diversity of amps. I think Grados generally are not fussy with amps.
My Hemps definitely are not fussy. The old dt770s are pickier. I do wonder what they sound like with a LD1 or OTL.

I need to try them on my vintage receiver without the attenuator to see what they do with the high impedance.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #44,654 of 65,523
I think Grados generally are not fussy with amps.

I have a different take. For a 40mm driver Grado, you want something with slightly higher output impedance (let's say 10-20 ohms) because that causes the bass bump from 70-90hz to be a little less damped and controlled, but more impactful. This is the toe-tapping bass region. The 50mm driver Grados are a different story. Because their bass bump is from 120-150hz, you probably want your amp to have as low ouptut impedance as possible. This region contributes to fullness, but too much and it sounds like mud.

What tube amps are you guys using your grado statement series with?

I mostly listen to electronic music and I typically prefer the SS mode on my Pro iCAN because I want that detail and clarity. For vintage jazz or laid-back pieces where I just want liquid smoothness, then I'll switch to the Tube+ mode. Best of both worlds.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #44,655 of 65,523
How well do grados pair with schiit stacks? Is there a particular amp that most agree has the best synergy?

All my Grados luv all my Schiit.
20210102_120220.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back