Grado Fan Club!
Nov 6, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #43,832 of 65,548
I've listened to nothing but sr80is for 2 years, then upgraditis kicked in and I purchased the DT880s and HD650s. Neither of them could compare to my lowly sr80i IMO.

Yes, I know what you mean. I know my sr80e (and my rs1) is inferior to the esp950 and dt48, but I have more enjoyment and fun listening to the lowely sr80e.

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #43,833 of 65,548
Grado seems to make changes to their existing line every seven years (button to without button; "i" to"e"; ...) at least to my calculations.
Wondering if this will be true for 2021.
Wouldn't it be great if they came out with a new improved RS1"x" and returned the RS1 sound signature to what it used to be. :beyersmile:

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #43,834 of 65,548
I already have the AKG 702. I also own the sr325e. I was wondering if the GS1000e was not like a mix of the two...Neutral and large soundstage...
Those Akgs do classical really really well imho, I keep a pair of Q701's just for classical (not a fan of them for anything else unless I eq them or do the bassport mod). The only Grado I've heard that could come close was the GS3000e, I actually felt like it's a q701 merged with a Grado, very similar to the q701 in many aspects for classical music(large soundstage, instrument focus, incredibly quick, excellent separation and they render string instruments marvelously) and is far more versatile overall, does far more genre's better. Haven't heard the GS1000e unfortunately.

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #43,835 of 65,548
Well, a couple of weeks ago I received an PS1000e which I bought on eBay from a fellow Canadian. He was the sole/ original owner having bought them in the US [Seattle, WA] two years ago. These were in mint condition/ looked brand new. I sold them yesterday. I’m not good at describing sound, so I’ll just say that I didn’t enjoy them all that much. What made me decide to write this post is the fact that I’m presently using my PS500e & I find it so much more enjoyable. I really like this headphone. I initially owned the the PS1000e about two or three ago and eventually sold them back then also. Since I now have the WA6-SE 2nd gen with an excellent rectifier & tubes combination, I thought the PS1000e would really shine but alas it didn’t. I’m sure there are a few other factors which come into play. The fact that, at 65 my hearing has declined, no doubt about that. Maybe the PS1000e needs a certain/ particular type of amp to drive it properly & bring out it’s best sound qualities. The 500e is more dynamic & its quite detailed. Based on reviews I’ve read about the 1000e, it’s sound is apparently more spacious depth wise & the instrument separation is also apparently superior. I don’t know, again maybe my hearing no longer picks up the depthness in sound. My point : to these [old] ears, the PS500e sounds much better than the PS1000e. I’m also aware that the production of music determines the quality of sound. I listened to the same albums/ music and after much consideration, decided that I wasn’t going to enjoy the PS1000e. It’s the way she goes ...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #43,836 of 65,548
93Irilj.jpg
Beautiful simplicity. Love it.

This is my main work "rig". It sounds great, I can take it with me all around the house all day, and if I accidentally sit on it and break it I wont be too upset.

20201106_051739.jpg

Nice job guys. They look fantastic.

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #43,837 of 65,548

Well, a couple of weeks ago I received an PS1000e which I bought on eBay from a fellow Canadian. He was the sole/ original owner having bought them in the US [Seattle, WA] two years ago. These were in mint condition/ looked brand new. I sold them yesterday. I’m not good at describing sound, so I’ll just say that I didn’t enjoy them all that much. What made me decide to write this post is the fact that I’m presently using my PS500e & I find it so much more enjoyable. I really like this headphone. I initially owned the the PS1000e about two or three ago and eventually sold them back then also. Since I now have the WA6-SE 2nd gen with an excellent rectifier & tubes combination, I thought the PS1000e would really shine but alas it didn’t. I’m sure there are a few other factors which come into play. The fact that, at 65 my hearing has declined, no doubt about that. Maybe the PS1000e needs a certain/ particular type of amp to drive it properly & bring out it’s best sound qualities. The 500e is more dynamic & its quite detailed. Based on reviews I’ve read about the 1000e, it’s sound is apparently more spacious depth wise & the instrument separation is also apparently superior. I don’t know, again maybe my hearing no longer picks up the depthness in sound. My point : to these [old] ears, the PS500e sounds much better than the PS1000e. I’m also aware that the production of music determines the quality of sound. I listened to the same albums/ music and after much consideration, decided that I wasn’t going to enjoy the PS1000e. It’s the way she goes ...

Just today, I was listening to a Grateful Dead show with my PS1000s and it felt kind of meh, so I switched to my 325e. In that context, I enjoyed the 325e more. There's just something about those mid size Grados that goes so well with a live rock show. That immediacy, that sense that you''re right up on stage with the band. The big G cup models dont quite give you that. They're more like you're out in the lawn section, having a good time with some music in the background.

But I love the big G cup models with other music. If I'm listening to say, a jazz big band, those huge earcups fill up with sound and there's no way the smaller size models can match that.

So yea, they're different experiences, and its natural that one would prefer or the other.

I'm not selling my PS1000s, or my Hemps 😄

But I love those models with other music. Tomorrow is my jazz day and I'm sure the PS1000s will redeem themselves.

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #43,838 of 65,548

Just today, I was listening to a Grateful Dead show with my PS1000s and it felt kind of meh, so I switched to my 325e. In that context, I enjoyed the 325e more. There's just something about those mid size Grados that goes so well with a live rock show. That immediacy, that sense that you''re right up on stage with the band. The big G cup models dont quite give you that. They're more like you're out in the lawn section, having a good time with some music in the background.

But I love the big G cup models with other music. If I'm listening to say, a jazz big band, those huge earcups fill up with sound and there's no way the smaller size models can match that.

So yea, they're different experiences, and its natural that one would prefer or the other.

I'm not selling my PS1000s, or my Hemps 😄

But I love those models with other music. Tomorrow is my jazz day and I'm sure the PS1000s will redeem themselves.

I also owned the PS1000, the original & from memory [which isn’t the best thing to rely on] I liked them better than the PS1000e. In my earlier post which you’re replying to, I mention that I purchased the PS1000e the first time, two or three years ago [see, memory is fallible] and eventually sold it. Afterwards I eventually purchased the original PS1000 and I remember liking it better than the PS1000e. I sometimes wish I had kept them. My personal opinion is that you’re wise not selling your PS1000 because it’s a damn good headphone, better than the PS1000e IMHO.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #43,839 of 65,548
The question is whether you prefer the PS500e over the PS1000e, using the same pads for both. The 50mm driver Grados (RS1e and up) have the midbass hump at 150hz. This makes the sound fuller, but can cause a sense of "muddiness" if you're coming from a traditional 40mm driver Grado, which typically has the midbass hump at 90hz. (The PS1000 used the 40mm driver.) That's why I always recommend people audition any 50mm driver Grado first because it might not be a good fit for you.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #43,840 of 65,548
Exactly. Anyone compared directly RS2e with f-pads vs Hemp (f-pads stock)? If not, then I will have to buy RS2e to try myself. $

The question is whether you prefer the PS500e over the PS1000e, using the same pads for both. The 50mm driver Grados (RS1e and up) have the midbass hump at 150hz. This makes the sound fuller, but can cause a sense of "muddiness" if you're coming from a traditional 40mm driver Grado, which typically has the midbass hump at 90hz. (The PS1000 used the 40mm driver.) That's why I always recommend people audition any 50mm driver Grado first because it might not be a good fit for you.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #43,841 of 65,548
Exactly. Anyone compared directly RS2e with f-pads vs Hemp (f-pads stock)? If not, then I will have to buy RS2e to try myself. $

I tried the f-pads which came with my Hemp on the RS2e and they were too big/loose somehow.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #43,842 of 65,548
Otherwise I like the RS2e with stock L pads better as the Hemp (with stock pads)

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #43,844 of 65,548
Few RS1i vs RS2e impressions:

The RS1i sounds like a band (listening to Radiohead, The Bends) is performing live in a cathedral church. There is a subtle reverb/resonance and treble extension and air.
The treble shimmers and floats and decays slower. There is also a taller/deeper soundstage that gives the feeling that the music has depth and just extends until it fades.
There is more layers and holographic soundstage.
This makes the (lower and mid) mids slightly less upfront while the upper mids are just as upfront as the RS2e. So with RS1i, I'm listening to the singer about third row and guitar about front row. With the RS2e I'm listening to everything front row. Everything is pushed up and upfront.

The RS2e sounds like a band performing live in a sound treated recording studio. It has a more dampened, controlled but contained sound. All the details are there and more of it. In fact the music sounds more clean and clear. Imaging and detail is better. Yet I suspect because the wooden cup is more shallow and at the same time the cup more dampened for less resonance, that loss of reverb/resonance and lack of extension compared to the RS1i makes the RS2e sound more dampened or a negatively put, more dead. Meaning the sound decays faster.

Personally while the RS1i is less clear and detailed, I prefer the more deeper and taller soundstage that creates the sense of holographic depth and layer in the music with the reverb and resistance that makes the music sound more cathedral live and less studio live. In some ways you can say the RS1i cup is less perfect or imperfect because of the reverb/resonance in the cup, but I kind of like it, prefer it. It's what I have come to enjoy about the RS1 sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back