Grado Fan Club!
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #43,021 of 65,523
These are the “small” size, I was hoping for a more snug fit, but they perform so well making the headphones comfortable for long wearing I can’t complain. They also keep oils out of the ear pads and hairs out of the driver.

I purchased these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z2PCFR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The seem to fit better than the Softies and make the L pads very comfortable.

11253668.jpg

What I really love is that wide headband on the 325, It really made them fit much better much more stable, much more substantial. I’m thinking of getting one for my 225s

That is a nice headband. Where did you get it?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #43,022 of 65,523
Let me update that photo. I should've taken it after adding the O-rings, shaft collars and new tips.
Now I'm done.
IMG_0918.jpeg
I've had those collars and o rings on for several years on my RS2E but i put them on top and under the block .Dont move around much

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #43,023 of 65,523
Can you Grado addicted give me advice / opinions? I'm thinking about buying the GH4 at Moon Audio, but don't know if the silver dragon cables are a good idea? I want to use them with the iBasso DX220-09 or the iBasso220-Max, and the Oppo Ha-1 (classical music and progressive rock). Any suggestions? . I borrowed the Grado SR325 with G earpads from my brother and was amazed about the sound quality, . Very open, great instrument separation, the exact right amount of bas/mid/treble.

Well
in my experience, and my opinion
I think the system you're thinking about isn't
the best use for your money.

It should sound great - but a step up in headphones
to the PS500, I think, would provide more bass,
more slam, and a larger soundstage.

I had the SR325e's for a few years and never heard
a better headphone for the money. But getting the 325's
instead of the GH4's would be going backwards, and I
can't recommend that. (I also have the GH4's, the
RS2e's, the PS500e's, and others - not really germane
to this discussion).

The PS500e, with its aluminum over mahogany construction,
is a bit of a different "animal" than the all-wood cups Grados.
But not that much different - I (and many others) think they're
the real standouts in the Grado line for under a grand.

And, with a Moon Audio treatment, I'm quite sure you'll
truly be getting the best bang for your buck. Look around
and see what people say about the PS500e's - people are
quite knocked out by them.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #43,024 of 65,523
Sep 13, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #43,025 of 65,523
Well
in my experience, and my opinion
I think the system you're thinking about isn't
the best use for your money.

It should sound great - but a step up in headphones
to the PS500, I think, would provide more bass,
more slam, and a larger soundstage.

I had the SR325e's for a few years and never heard
a better headphone for the money. But getting the 325's
instead of the GH4's would be going backwards, and I
can't recommend that. (I also have the GH4's, the
RS2e's, the PS500e's, and others - not really germane
to this discussion).

The PS500e, with its aluminum over mahogany construction,
is a bit of a different "animal" than the all-wood cups Grados.
But not that much different - I (and many others) think they're
the real standouts in the Grado line for under a grand.

And, with a Moon Audio treatment, I'm quite sure you'll
truly be getting the best band for your buck. Look around
and see what people say about the PS500e's - people are
quite knocked out by them.
It's been a long time since I had the ps500e and I did like them. Fwiw I did not like the gh4. I did not own these two headphones at the same time so I can't compare.
Part of the reason I don't mention much my dislike for the gh4 is because it could've just been my hearing at the time or maybe I just didn't like their tuning. Overall they sounded very good but a certain upper (mid upper?) frequency was just rubbing me the wrong way.
The ps500e is definitely a safer bet but considering he mentioned the sr325 with bowls then the gh4 might be more what he is looking for as maybe the ps500e won't be as exciting or lively.
As far as I can remember the ps500e often gets looked over and it rearly gets much mention around here especially compared to the Rs2e for example. I guess the gh4 being a more recent unit has had a bit more talk around here since it came out and it has had some very positive praise, including being compared to the ps2ke! I've owned the ps2ke in the past (before I owned the gh4) but from memory I did not think that was the case at all!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #43,026 of 65,523
The GH4 has a narrow spike around 4.5-4.8k that is quite bothersome. Its not huge, but it can be very irritating as our ears are extremely sensitive there..and the attack of many instruments hits there. I just EQ it down by 2.5db and I am happy but I am guessing that is why many people dont like it as its pretty irritating.

I havent compared it to the 325e but a quite good Japanese reviewer did and said the GH4 sounded the most similar to the 325e of all his Grado headphones (he has quite a lot of them!). I think its the brightest of the GH line based on all the impressions I have seen.

I bought the Geekria G cush which while not the same as the official G cush is very similar and I do not like them at all with the GH4. Extremely bright sounding. Even with EQ I do not like them as much as the stock L pads. It reduces the 2.1k-2.5 spike a lot but causes a massive one around 5.5k.

Only thing they do better ironically is subbass which actually gets kicked up to a impressive amount. Was able to hear down to 16hz! Not had any other headphones go that low so was quite surprised. With EQ I got it to where it was perfectly listenable but never had the magic of the L cush.

For me the GH4 with my EQ turns the GH4 into a hybrid of a 650 and DT880, it has the air and more spacious sound of the DT880 and the romantic mids of the 650 along with a more exciting sound than either. Anything with pianos or violins sounds amazing on the GH4.

Grados 44mm drivers perform best when they are close to your ear, anything that pushes them away hurts their performance IMO.Some people like that sound, but I think you lose a lot of what makes Grado great at least for me. Comfort on the L cush is not good though, G cush was FAR better.

This is my EQ for stock L cush:

Preamp -3.5db
Low Shelf Filter 100hz +1.5db
Peak Filters
40hz Q1 +2db
2100hz Q1.5 -5.5db
4500hz Q3 -2.5db
11500hz Q6 -2db

This is what I tried with G cush:
Low Shelf Filter 100hz +1.5db
Peak Filters
40hz Q1 +2db
2100hz Q3.5 -3.5db
4500hz Q5 -2.5db
5500hz Q1 -5db
11000hz Q3 -2db

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #43,027 of 65,523
Thanks very much for all of your advises, it's apprecaited a lot!
Of course the best way to find out is to listen to them, but there's no shop in the Netherlands that has the GH4.

I found this comparison graph, Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here it looks like toe PS500e is the brightest sounding and the SR325e looks just like an in between of the PS500 e and the GH4 (so indeed maybe the best choice..)?

download.png

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #43,028 of 65,523
I'll say this nice and plain - never would I buy a piece of audio gear
based solely on a graph or graphs.
And no, I'm not a Luddite. Graphs can be - and are - amazing tools.
I use them daily in my work.and I imagine that many if not most of
us do.

Graphs can provide clues, and can illustrate problems
and anomalies which the ear is picking up first.

After more than a few years at this audio hobby, in two countries,
I've come to believe that current graphing techniques cannot
come close to accurately describing the entirety of what they
are purporting to measure.

And I'm very well are of how many disagree with me on this.
That's OK, I'm not out to convince anyone. I'm buying the
gear, I'm listening to it. I've got to like it.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #43,029 of 65,523
I'll say this nice and plain - never would I buy a piece of audio gear
based solely on a graph or graphs.

I understand what you're saying and agree with you. I'm trying to find my way through all of the info. Using your own ears is the best method. For instance, I personally don't find the SR325 with G cushion to bright. Sometimes a bit harsh sounding, but it depends on the recording quality. I love this sound but (like al Head-Fi'ers) try to find an upgrade, especially for the sometimes bit harsh sound, just a little bit better clarity.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #43,030 of 65,523
I understand what you're saying and agree with you. I'm trying to find my way through all of the info. Using your own ears is the best method. For instance, I personally don't find the SR325 with G cushion to bright. Sometimes a bit harsh sounding, but it depends on the recording quality. I love this sound but (like al Head-Fi'ers) try to find an upgrade, especially for the sometimes bit harsh sound, just a little bit better clarity.

It is worth noting that hearing greatly varies between people and also age which makes a huge difference. You said you were in your 60s so you are most likely going to like more treble than someone in their 30s (like me) does. Actually Grados are really great for older people as the boosts in upper mids and treble are exactly where peoples hearing declines with age. For instance the program Sonarworks which tries to EQ all headphones to a target response asks your age and boosts the 2k range for older people which is exactly where the infamous Grado Peak is. John Grado is actually hitting a pretty accurate target by ear, but its for older ears (which his are).

You might actually prefer the SR325e over the GH4 for that reason assuming those graphs I accurate. I do think the GH4 one is pretty close to what I hear. FR graphs are very useful if you know what your tastes are but not at all that helpful otherwise. You have to figure out what your personal FR preference is and see how closely they match that.

Even when EQing its best to do it to your taste. For instance I dont actually like the Harmon Curve which is so popular as I find it to have far too much subbass, not enough upper bass and quite shouty upper mids, so EQs designed to match it dont sound particularly good to me.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #43,032 of 65,523
I got these its brand new, with different colored cups. Should i worry about the value ?

I don't think so. There might be some who might pass on those if you put them up for sale...but there will be many more who only care about the sound. The value should remain the same.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #43,033 of 65,523
I got these its brand new, with different colored cups. Should i worry about the value ?
If you ever plan to maybe sell them I'd say so

If someone had a choice between yours and a normal looking pair at the same price why would they pick your mismatched ones?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #43,035 of 65,523
In a shop In Canada...I just don't understand the choice of Grado to make these like this....
Grado would probably say it's within acceptable tolerance. If it's something that's going to constantly bug you, I'd suggest returning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back