Grado Fan Club!
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #43,006 of 65,552
I put O-rings and shaft collars on all of my Grado's so their adjustment doesn't move.

I seriously considered this for quite a while, but then realized that my headband constantly adjusts as my scalp hair grows.

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #43,007 of 65,552
I seriously considered this for quite a while, but then realized that my headband constantly adjusts as my scalp hair grows.
The only time the adjustment effects me is when I buzz my head once a year, but it really isn't much of an issue at all. Besides, it takes 2 seconds to loosen the set screw, adjust and tighten again.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #43,008 of 65,552
Thank you. Likewise.
I'm heading towards doing the same and started by selling my WA33 and I have to say that I have no regrets whatsoever. In a strange way I feel relieved, why I can't explain? I'm enjoying both my GS-Xmk2 and Citadel just as much, if not more because I'm no longer listening to my gear, but rather just the music. It'll take me some time to think about which, but I'd really like to part with some of my headphones as well.

Good luck! Took a while, but the journey to simplicity has been a long but fun ride! Y’all know especially in this club, that Grados sound great even from an iPhone, and even though they scale just fine, I think one of the best parts about our brand is that they don’t require $$$$$ upstream gear to sound really really good.

I will say though, that anytime you can include include a tube or three in your chain, Brooklyn’s best usually benefit...

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #43,009 of 65,552
2 Days with the Hemp's so far. First thoughts are positive. Though I bought them thinking I'd be using them for more classic rock and so far I've been listening to a lot of modern Jazz type stuff. Female vocals are really right there.

This Katie Noonan album is really doing it for me.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/139747498

Radiohead right now is fine as well.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #43,011 of 65,552
Where did you order those from?
https://www.shipibo.audio/
They’re out of stock right now, but they carry quite a few mods. I plan on getting some PS500e’s and want to go to the wider headband and replace the junction blocks and gimbals.

Well guys about 15 years ago I had a pair of SR60’s I loved them but strangely didn’t go higher up the Grado chain. During quarantine I decided it was time for different brands than I usually buy and picked up a pair of SR80e’s 225e’s and 325e’s. It was SO refreshing to have headphones that didn’t suck after the HD700’s and 800’s. I replaced all the headbands with leather ones, the first one they sent I had to crack the headband out of the junction block :astonished: remove the plastic headband and install the leather one. I did this on the SR80’s and said no more I upgraded my SR325e’s to TTVJ Deluxe flats (the 325’s were a little brighter than the other 2) and a wider leather headband straight from Grado complete assembly this time laughs . I use Garfield headphone Softies on all 3 and will probably pick up another set of TTVJ flats and get my SR80e’s balanced at Moon audio.

Attachments

• AFB9A7F5-E042-48DA-9AC0-693F01BEBEB8.jpeg
    AFB9A7F5-E042-48DA-9AC0-693F01BEBEB8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 683E1854-54FE-4184-8DB0-EA2E852547C3.jpeg
    683E1854-54FE-4184-8DB0-EA2E852547C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3F2D840D-7F5D-42F8-AA37-5E30325A902C.jpeg
    3F2D840D-7F5D-42F8-AA37-5E30325A902C.jpeg
    838.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #43,012 of 65,552
Can you Grado addicted give me advice / opinions? I'm thinking about buying the GH4 at Moon Audio, but don't know if the silver dragon cables are a good idea? I want to use them with the iBasso DX220-09 or the iBasso220-Max, and the Oppo Ha-1 (classical music and progressive rock). Any suggestions? . I borrowed the Grado SR325 with G earpads from my brother and was amazed about the sound quality, . Very open, great instrument separation, the exact right amount of bas/mid/treble.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #43,013 of 65,552
https://www.shipibo.audio/
They’re out of stock right now, but they carry quite a few mods. I plan on getting some PS500e’s and want to go to the wider headband and replace the junction blocks and gimbals.

Well guys about 15 years ago I had a pair of SR60’s I loved them but strangely didn’t go higher up the Grado chain. During quarantine I decided it was time for different brands than I usually buy and picked up a pair of SR80e’s 225e’s and 325e’s. It was SO refreshing to have headphones that didn’t suck after the HD700’s and 800’s. I replaced all the headbands with leather ones, the first one they sent I had to crack the headband out of the junction block :astonished: remove the plastic headband and install the leather one. I did this on the SR80’s and said no more I upgraded my SR325e’s to TTVJ Deluxe flats (the 325’s were a little brighter than the other 2) and a wider leather headband straight from Grado complete assembly this time laughs . I use Garfield headphone Softies on all 3 and will probably pick up another set of TTVJ flats and get my SR80e’s balanced at Moon audio.
I thought the Garfield Softies fit more tightly. What size are the ones you bought?

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #43,014 of 65,552
Can you Grado addicted give me advice / opinions? I'm thinking about buying the GH4 at Moon Audio, but don't know if the silver dragon cables are a good idea? I want to use them with the iBasso DX220-09 or the iBasso220-Max, and the Oppo Ha-1 (classical music and progressive rock). Any suggestions? . I borrowed the Grado SR325 with G earpads from my brother and was amazed about the sound quality, . Very open, great instrument separation, the exact right amount of bas/mid/treble.
Personally I don't see nothing wrong with adding a good silver cable to any headphone. The common practice (at least at Moon Audio) is to go for the Black Dragon instead for brighter headphones like Grados. As a matter of fact I've never seen a Grado with a hardwired Silver Dragon but there's plenty of them with the Black Dragon cables.
Anywho, I do think if you're asking which to pick between the Black Dragon or Silver Dragon (I've never heard the Blue Dragon) I'd say the Black Dragon is a safer bet, soundwise. Ask Drew and he will tell you exactly what you can expect from each cable vs the stock cable.
Ergonomically while the Dragon cables might be a bit lighter they are still a bit stiff especially vs other cables out there.

If you're willing to spend that much for a Dragon cable another option maybe would be to ask them to do a detachable cable mood and roll different cables which would be good if you already had some high end cables to play with.

Personally, I would just stick with stock cable and if you need a different headphone jack for your amp, I'm sure they can mod it for you to whatever jack you need (like a 4.4 balanced).

Edit: Beautiful Audio out of New Zealand offers a cheaper option if you're interested in detachable cables. They sell an add on kit that is easy to install and apparently now they also sell cables for it too!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #43,015 of 65,552
I thought the Garfield Softies fit more tightly. What size are the ones you bought?
These are the “small” size, I was hoping for a more snug fit, but they perform so well making the headphones comfortable for long wearing I can’t complain. They also keep oils out of the ear pads and hairs out of the driver.
What I really love is that wide headband on the 325, It really made them fit much better much more stable, much more substantial. I’m thinking of getting one for my 225s

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #43,016 of 65,552
Personally I don't see nothing wrong with adding a good silver cable to any headphone. The common practice (at least at Moon Audio) is to go for the Black Dragon instead for brighter headphones like Grados. As a matter of fact I've never seen a Grado with a hardwired Silver Dragon but there's plenty of them with the Black Dragon cables.
Anywho, I do think if you're asking which to pick between the Black Dragon or Silver Dragon (I've never heard the Blue Dragon) I'd say the Black Dragon is a safer bet, soundwise. Ask Drew and he will tell you exactly what you can expect from each cable vs the stock cable.
Ergonomically while the Dragon cables might be a bit lighter they are still a bit stiff especially vs other cables out there.

If you're willing to spend that much for a Dragon cable another option maybe would be to ask them to do a detachable cable mood and roll different cables which would be good if you already had some high end cables to play with.

Personally, I would just stick with stock cable and if you need a different headphone jack for your amp, I'm sure they can mod it for you to whatever jack you need (like a 4.4 balanced).

Edit: Beautiful Audio out of New Zealand offers a cheaper option if you're interested in detachable cables. They sell an add on kit that is easy to install and apparently now they also sell cables for it too!
Thanks very much for your suggestions! I think I'll liste to your advice and have to dcide between the Black Dragon or stock cable. I hope the Black Dragon doesn't make the sound to dark. I must admit that the SR325 with stock cable and G earpads sounds magical, so maybe just staying with the stock cable is the best option.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #43,017 of 65,552
From my experience the Black Dragon will not make it sound darker but it will enhance the low end some and it will add some (not sure how to phrase it here) definition/control across the board, take that with a grain of salt though as cables are a big can of worms. Personally I've had more positive (pleasing) results from the Black Dragon than silver Dragon.

Edit: also consider getting the same set up as your brother! If the sr325 with bowls sounded great to you why not try that for a while?
Haha, I hesitate to give out that advice knowing damn well ain't non of us gonna listen to that advice. :smile:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #43,018 of 65,552
From my experience the Black Dragon will not make it sound darker but it will enhance the low end some and it will add some (not sure how to phrase it here) definition/control across the board, take that with a grain of salt though as cables are a big can of worms. Personally I've had more positive (pleasing) results from the Black Dragon than silver Dragon.
OK I'm 62 years old but can't control myself anymore. Need to have this shot!

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #43,020 of 65,552

Edit: also consider getting the same set up as your brother! If the sr325 with bowls sounded great to you why not try that for a while?
Haha, I hesitate to give out that advice knowing damn well ain't non of us gonna listen to that advice. :smile:
Like many Head-Fi'ers before (and after me) have shouted: I hate this forum and hate your edit!! Now I really need both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back