Grado Fan Club!
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #42,946 of 65,552
I really, really like the mechanism. It's part of the Grado look and it works quite well. Why reinvent the wheel?

Now with this I completely agree. They've tried all kinds of woods and metals and cables, but not removable cables. I wonder why. I guess that if we want a removable cable we have to go with the GW100.
Or just buy an Arya...

(sorry)

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #42,947 of 65,552
Now with this I completely agree. They've tried all kinds of woods and metals and cables, but not removable cables. I wonder why. I guess that if we want a removable cable we have to go with the GW100.

Removable cables are the way to go, yes. Most headphone failures involve cabling so it's reasonable to counteract this, but manufacturers probably have their reasons why that's not always an option. :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #42,948 of 65,552
I will say there are two big turnoffs to Grado headphones in the $1k+ range where they are below par vs competitors that you think would be able to be remedied easily:

1. Mechanism that attaches earcup to headband. What grado uses is functional, sure, but in terms of looks and perceived build quality it falls notably short of competitors in the $1k+ range

2. Non-detachable cable. Another head-scratcher. If you ever want to change from a stock unbalanced cable to a balanced cable or longer cable it's a major project. For over $1k this shouldn't be the case.

Both of these points are easily rectified and there is no benefit to the way grado is doing it now other than cost savings. It perplexes me why they cant fix these things as they would be fairly easy to fix considering Grado's resources and expertise.

The fact the GW100 uses a detachable cable. Means they have no excuse to not make the rest of their line up have that, or they know people will mod them regardless.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #42,949 of 65,552
I really, really like the mechanism. It's part of the Grado look and it works quite well. Why reinvent the wheel?

Don't need to reinvent the wheel but at least improve it. The current mechanism looks cheap and janky, frankly, and out of place on $1000+ headphones

They can keep the same mechanism and simply improve the materials. Use a black brushed aluminum with silk-screened L/R instead of the plastic they are using. Use a satin nickel rod with a flared or T end instead of the current cheap looking black plastic cap.

None of these things would impact the functionality but it's kind of weird to see a $1500+ headphone using exotic hardwood earcups being attached to the headband with something that looks like it belongs on a budget headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #42,950 of 65,552
Don't need to reinvent the wheel but at least improve it. The current mechanism looks cheap and janky, frankly, and out of place on $1000+ headphones

They can keep the same mechanism and simply improve the materials. Use a black brushed aluminum with silk-screened L/R instead of the plastic they are using. Use a satin nickel rod with a flared or T end instead of the current cheap looking black plastic cap.

None of these things would impact the functionality but it's kind of weird to see a $1500+ headphone using exotic hardwood earcups being attached to the headband with something that looks like it belongs on a budget headphone.
On the original RS-1 they used thicker square rods with nicely finished, black metal end caps. It also came in a very nice wood box.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #42,951 of 65,552
Since yesterday afternoon I've had the PS2000e, GS3000e and Hemp in my possession to listen to.
I did own the PS2000e at one time, but definitely did not give them enough burn in time, at all. Maybe they had 40hrs on them when I sold them, so glad I have the opportunity to revisit them, as well as hear the differences between the GS3000e, my GS2000e and the Hemp.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #42,952 of 65,552
Since yesterday afternoon I've had the PS2000e, GS3000e and Hemp in my possession to listen to.
I did own the PS2000e at one time, but definitely did not give them enough burn in time, at all. Maybe they had 40hrs on them when I sold them.
What did you think of the 3000?

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #42,954 of 65,552
I will say there are two big turnoffs to Grado headphones in the $1k+ range ... 1. Mechanism that attaches earcup to headband. ... 2. Non-detachable cable.

For #1, their mechanism is lightweight. I disagree that their plastic rodblock is "cheap". To me, it's a good weight-saving measure. Going to metal rodblocks is only for aesthetics and will add weight. Admittedly, this really only matters for the >300g headphones: SR325e, PS series, and GS3000e.

For #2, the cable can be severed below the Y split, and an aftermarket cable can be installed from that.

Those issues are trivial to what I feel are the two main turnoffs: the headphones can't be easily disassembled, and that I've experienced questionable driver matching >1khz. For the first issue, it means a stray hair that gets into the driver, causing "Grattle", will set you back $250 for an out-of-warranty repair. For the second, it means you're screwed if you accept the headphone, as ".05db driver matching" apparently only applies to 1khz. It also means that if your drivers are replaced during a repair, the dice are being rolled. But other companies struggle with driver matching, too, so it's nothing new.

I wonder how much a model that is guaranteed to be assembled and quality checked by John Grado himself would cost. Right now that guarantee is only for their $6000 and $12000 cartridges. Hmm.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #42,955 of 65,552
I did own the PS2000e at one time, but definitely did not give them enough burn in time, at all. Maybe they had 40hrs on them when I sold them, so glad I have the opportunity to revisit them, as well as hear the differences between the GS3000e, my GS2000e and the Hemp.
which one you prefer? i also curious how those gs2000e and gs3000e differentiate with each others

@Gippy
hp1000 for sure :D

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #42,957 of 65,552
Got a chance to compare the Hemp, the GH3 and the GH4 today and it was quite interesting.

The GH3 was clearly the worst of the 3 and I must admit I didnt care for them at all. They dont sound "bad" by any means but they other than the trademark 2.1k grado energy they were quite soft and dull sounding. The biggest flaw was the soundstage or should I say the lack thereof. GH3 had almost no soundstage and very blurred imaging. It was quite thin sounding with very mediocre extension in both the treble and the bass. I assume some of this is due to the S cushions it uses but a lot of is is probably due to the cups being so small compared to the other two. It was the most comfortable though as it is both super light weight and has a thinner cable which weighs nothing. I wouldn't recommend these personally though, for $325 (even more than that here in Japan) I think you can do much better. With EQ I am sure it can be improved greatly but for me a little too meh, nothing stood out or impressed me.

The Hemp is a very fun tuning, and actually on the darker side of the spectrum other than the 2.1k grado trademark energy. Even the 2.1k spike is less than on other Grados though IMo. Very warm and natural sound, but a little congested and lacking air. I actually find it to be on the dark side. I didnt find it to be a very resolving headphone not for the 400 dollar price range, its not bad by any means but not on the level of HD650 and the like. This isnt necessarily a negative though as I think that contributes to its laid back character, its just fun to listen to and does a great job conveying emotions. Its not for someone who wants to analyze every detail, its for enjoy music( what a crazy concept!). Imaging was better than the GH3 and it actually had a soundstage though it was quite forward in its presentation. I think the Hemp would be a killer secondary headphone to go along with like a 650 or DT880/1990 etc.

The Gh4 was my favorite of the 3, it sounded pretty incredible. It had the trademark Grado spike at 2.1k and also had a smaller one at 4.5k-5k. With those EQed out it sounded really quite smooth and well extended in the treble. Bass was a bit soft compared to the Hemp, and not as well extended. Seemed to take EQ in the bass well enough though I think the Hemp has the advantage here EQ or not. The mids and highs were the focus of the GH4 and they were wonderful. Treble was surprisingly smooth, there was some extra energy at 10k and 14k I think but it was not too much at least for me. Past 5k it dropped to be well in line with the midrange. The soundstage and imaging were really impressive which surprised me. Grado has a reputation for poor imaging but the Gh4 was quite good, good enough to give a reasonable 3d effect. Yosi Horikawa's letter played nicely with it, could hear the letter going across the ears quite clearly with good depth. Separation of various elements was excellent and vocals took center stage while instruments had space to breathe. It reminded me a lot of the DT880, though it sounded more natural, faster and was easier to listen to. It was very hard to leave without buying the GH4 and I have a feeling I might end up getting one soon before they are gone everywhere!

All of them use different earpads which surely made a good chunk of the differences, would have been very interesting to try swapping different pads but couldnt do that at the store :). I am quite confident they wouldnt sound the same even with the same earpads though, there would be some differences.

If you arent going to do any kind of EQ and you want a Grado, I think the Grado Hemp is probably the one to get. Its priced well, its very fun and it doesnt "need" eq. The GH4 was quite hot at 2.1k and 4.5k which could be bothersome on some tracks, the Hemp was less hot at 2.1k and didnt have any 4.5k spike, was actually pretty laid back in general.

I would love to compare the Gh4 with the RS2e as I think that would be a fascinating comparison.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #42,960 of 65,552
@elvergun
so what's the update of the hemp?

So....after I stopped switching pad, amps and I really concentrated on the sound (instead of just staring at the Hemp in awe of its beauty)...

...I found that the RS2e and the Hemp are identical twins when it comes to the bass and the mids. The only difference between the two are in the highs (and the impact those have as far as clarity). I like the highs of the RS2e a little better. I do think that the bass of the Hemp is a tad more controlled.

I'm sending the Hemp back.

But I also noticed that both the Hemp and the RS2e with L and F pads are dark (and a little too boomy) sounding headphones. I agree with Asahi Templar. The darkness goes away with G pads. I had already started to like the RS2e with the G pads before I received the Hemp, but once I had the Hemp with L pads and the RS2e with G pads (and vice versa) at hand for fast switching between the two, I was amazed at the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back