Grado Fan Club!
Aug 16, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #42,361 of 65,468
This. I recently got and burnt in an SR60e and an RS2e. The SR60e didn't sound like much in the beginning, the RS2e sounded quite good from the get-go. Both got much better after 2 days of non-stop playing of Jamiroquai and Rage Against The Machine at a volume that was just below where things would sound distorted (not as loud as i would normally listen!).

In the end (after 4 days of burn in) the SR60e sounded really enjoyable, shockingly good for such a cheap headphone. It's a fun headphone which shows you microscopic details you never heard before in a song, at the price of sounding just a little bit bright. But really bearable bright for my taste!

The RS2e on the other hand is a lot less in your face with the details (but they are there) but in return sounds very laid back and "solid".

I am pretty sure what i said about the 60s also is true for your 80s. I wouldn't even say the RS2e is better than the SR60e, it's just different.

The SR80e I bought have a bunch of hours on them already

I should try and audition the rs2e again - I casually listened to them at canjam at schiit's booth and didn't think too much for them, but they weren't so thin, reverby (shouty?) with female vocals, and dry with the treble. I know the ttvj pads will flatten out the treble relative to the bass, but not sure if it'll fix the hollow vocals

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #42,362 of 65,468
Has anyone compared the hemps to the elex?
@donlin below says it best " My more expensive phones sound thin and fake in comparison. " I have the Elex plugged into a Drop LCX Cavalli using Elex's included balanced cable so just plugged the Hemp into the SE output and the Hemp's are so efficient I still need to ride the volume control to compare fairly. The Hemp's totally hold their own and I believe even have a better sound stage (I love the Chesky Binaural+ recordings), very solid bass but the mids and highs are so much more engaging. I'm thinking Grado wanted us to enjoy the "highs" and get us through this COVID thing.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #42,363 of 65,468
@donlin below says it best " My more expensive phones sound thin and fake in comparison. " I have the Elex plugged into a Drop LCX Cavalli using Elex's included balanced cable so just plugged the Hemp into the SE output and the Hemp's are so efficient I still need to ride the volume control to compare fairly. The Hemp's totally hold their own and I believe even have a better sound stage (I love the Chesky Binaural+ recordings), very solid bass but the mids and highs are so much more engaging. I'm thinking Grado wanted us to enjoy the "highs" and get us through this COVID thing.

I have both the HD820 and Hemp hooked up to liquid platinum and MX DAC

The hemps are great for the price but they don't compare at any level to the HD820 - but for $420 I don't think you can do better than the Hemp TBH

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #42,364 of 65,468

The hemps are great for the price but they don't compare at any level to the HD820 - but for $420 I don't think you can do better than the Hemp TBH
That’s purely a matter of opinion. I’d take the Hemp any day over that. Right now I’m going back and forth between Hemp and the HiFiMan Arya. I’m battling a case of reverse confirmation bias. My ears keep preferring the Hemp but my head keeps telling me it can’t be better than a highly rated $1600.00 headphone.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #42,365 of 65,468
That’s purely a matter of opinion. I’d take the Hemp any day over that. Right now I’m going back and forth between Hemp and the HiFiMan Arya. I’m battling a case of reverse confirmation bias. My ears keep preferring the Hemp but my head keeps telling me it can’t be better than a highly rated $1600.00 headphone.
The hemp has a rolled off high end that you cant get back (rolled off starting @11khz). The higher end headphones require an amp that more carefully handles the highs due to their HF extension and they often require more power, but when you get the right synergy going they are a whole new level in my experience

Hemp is good because it is less amp-picky and it is a fun listen, plus it looks awesome - but in terms of ultimate resolution it suffers. Again for $420 though I can't think of another headphone I'd rather have than the Hemp .

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #42,366 of 65,468
The hemp has a rolled off high end that you cant get back (rolled off starting @11khz). The higher end headphones require an amp that more carefully handles the highs due to their HF extension and they often require more power, but when you get the right synergy going they are a whole new level in my experience

Hemp is good because it is less amp-picky and it is a fun listen, plus it looks awesome - but in terms of ultimate resolution it suffers. Again for $420 though I can't think of another headphone I'd rather have than the Hemp .
If ultimate resolution is the goal I’d have to agree with you. For me, after so many years, so many flagships and expensive amps, I guess my priorities have changed.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #42,367 of 65,468

I get what you are trying to say. I still think that my HD800 is a better headphone than my RS2e.

But if I had to go on a one year mission to the International Space Station I would leave the HD800 at home and take the RS2e with me. Well, actually, it would depend on how loud it gets up there. If the other astronauts are a noisy bunch, I would take my T5p instead.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #42,368 of 65,468
I get what you are trying to say. I still think that my HD800 is a better headphone than my RS2e.

But if I had to go on a one year mission to the International Space Station I would leave the HD800 at home and take the RS2e with me. Well, actually, it would depend on how loud it gets up there. If the other astronauts are a noisy bunch, I would take my T5p instead.

I would still definitely pick the HD820 no contest *so long as* I also got to pick a HPA/DAC to bring with me as well. If I had to use whatever random HPA was stock in the ISS, I would go with Hemp :). Plus the HD820 is more astronaut helmet-ish than the Hemp is.

I think Synthwave is the Hemp's best genre. Really utilizes the impactful bass and the treble rolloff is no problem at all w/ mid heavy sound (most of this genre has treble de-emphasized anyway for the smooth 80s sound, probably improved as a result by Hemp sound profile).

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #42,369 of 65,468
I pulled these out on a whim..... for a very short time.

IMG_20200817_142103.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #42,370 of 65,468
Today I got my ZMF Atticus. Beatiful phones! But...can it be, that my Hemp "broke" my other phones? I mean the Atticus is exactly what I was looking for...before trying the Hemp (my first Grado). After half an hour listening with the Atticus I just missed the sheer energy, opennes and drive from my Grado. So...here I am sitting beside my new Atticus listening to the Grado. Actually both phones are new, the Grado has maybe 20 hours? The Atticus the afformentioned 30 Min. Very strange, I did not excpeted this at all...I will surely give more time to the Atticus, but...

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #42,371 of 65,468
Today I got my ZMF Atticus. Beatiful phones! But...can it be, that my Hemp "broke" my other phones? I mean the Atticus is exactly what I was looking for...before trying the Hemp (my first Grado). After half an hour listening with the Atticus I just missed the sheer energy, opennes and drive from my Grado. So...here I am sitting beside my new Atticus listening to the Grado. Actually both phones are new, the Grado has maybe 20 hours? The Atticus the afformentioned 30 Min. Very strange, I did not excpeted this at all...I will surely give more time to the Atticus, but...

Know that I bought Utopia and sold it again after 6 months....it was too ‘perfect’ compared to that raw Grado energy I was missing.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #42,372 of 65,468

IMG_20200817_142103.jpg
Did that come with an Aiwa portable cassete player? I've never seen or heard of those before!

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #42,373 of 65,468

IMG_20200817_142103.jpg
Thanks for the peak of the past. I had no idea Grado made that model, it has to be over 20 years ago and as I understand the same driver and sound of the SR60. Did you buy them new?

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #42,375 of 65,468

Well you made me pull out the HD800's and yes they too provide more enjoyment than the Hemp's as they should; the Grado GS1000i model does give the Senn's a good run for the money. Agree those HD820's definitely look Space Age, I've not heard a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back