Grado Fan Club!
Jul 2, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #41,686 of 65,548
I also don't remember them changing the headband color for that reason. Regardless, I bought my RS2e's in 2015 and they have the tan headband - I remember the RS1e also had the tan headband. I chose the 2e because of the negative reviews of the 1e at that time...
from what i remembered the way they changed the headband was solely to attract new kind of market, which one of the reason why they also change the headphone plug on rs models to mini jack. however i didn't remember which size of headphone jack the early rs1e coming with, so i could be wrong

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #41,687 of 65,548
Those efforts have a value that should be paid for.

But those efforts where not that exorbitantly expensive even 5 years ago. What has changed? Some people prefer the flagships of 5-10 years ago to the newer models being released now, so do those efforts really have so much value? There could be a new model out there that is indeed outstanding, sure, but it is hard to believe that EVERYTHING released recently is a work of engineering art and really worth the asking price.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #41,690 of 65,548
a very simple question, the rs2 given its price has a more refined and superior sound to the 325e?

In my opinion, yes.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #41,691 of 65,548
It’s a somewhat different kind of article this Friday as we share our impressions on both assembling and listening to a fully bespoke headphone.
The drivers and parts were supplied by custom parts manufacturer Turbulent Labs. The total price of parts for this custom build came to $387 USD.

https://www.headfonia.com/turbulent-labs-review/

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #41,694 of 65,548
Hi,

Both stock and modded Headamp's Gilmore Lite MK2 with Silmic 2 capacitors at very affordable usd499 was what Questyle cma-800r and Kinki THR-1 could not do for my rare vintage Grado FreeSystem FG-1.

Looking forward to dedicated PSU that Headamp had just released for the Gilmore Lite MK2.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: also modded orange led to blue (same for the customised Denafripss Terminator Plus newly received and reviewed here in separate thread)
Screenshot_20200703-204659_Drive.jpg

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #41,695 of 65,548
Hi,

Both stock and modded Headamp's Gilmore Lite MK2 with Silmic 2 capacitors at very affordable usd499 was what Questyle cma-800r and Kinki THR-1 could not do for my rare vintage Grado FreeSystem FG-1.

Looking forward to dedicated PSU that Headamp had just released for the Gilmore Lite MK2.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: also modded orange led to blue (same for the customised Denafripss Terminator Plus newly received and reviewed here in separate thread)

rare indeed!

i want to ask how it sound compare to other grados but it's probably useless since in the past 10 years i've only seen 2 fg1 appeared at online auction and to this date as far as i can remember only you have been formally posted to be fg1 owner :D

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #41,696 of 65,548
rare indeed!

Hi ruhenhei,

This is one of the three prototypes that late Mr. Grado gave to Freesystem Singapore R&D where my friend was and he in turn gifted it to me in mint condition as he is not an audiophile.

Read somewhere that 7 complete Freesystem setup were snapped up in ebay when Grado listed them after the project failed to take off.

Also read that the built up inventory of parts was used in the 200-300 units of PS1.

Not into headphones and left unused for a couple of years until recently but I had compared the grado FG1 with the HD800 and some expensive cannot remember brand headphones on the questyle cma800r. I will take the FG 1 over the HD800 anytime while the expensive one had unbelievable clarity and details which the FG-1 can matches but listener fatigue after 1-2 songs.

This may also have to do with matching as I had found out when I looked for a headamp to showcase my hifisystem in the living room .. surprisingly the cheapest Gilmore Lite mk2 sounded best against the Kinki and Questyle.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #41,697 of 65,548
Hi ruhenhei,

This is one of the three prototypes that late Mr. Grado gave to Freesystem Singapore R&D where my friend was and he in turn gifted it to me in mint condition as he is not an audiophile.

Read somewhere that 7 complete Freesystem setup were snapped up in ebay when Grado listed them after the project failed to take off.

Also read that the built up inventory of parts was used in the 200-300 units of PS1.

Not into headphones and left unused for a couple of years until recently but I had compared the grado FG1 with the HD800 and some expensive cannot remember brand headphones on the questyle cma800r. I will take the FG 1 over the HD800 anytime while the expensive one had unbelievable clarity and details which the FG-1 can matches but listener fatigue after 1-2 songs.

This may also have to do with matching as I had found out when I looked for a headamp to showcase my hifisystem in the living room .. surprisingly the cheapest Gilmore Lite mk2 sounded best against the Kinki and Questyle.

Cheers.

Richard

hi richard,

that's make perfect sense then, you have some connection :D when i saw 2 fg1 at online auction years ago both were located in japan

i remember that ebay listing but didn't see any fg1 on their listing, mostly was hp1000 and some prototype models. those fg1 probably gone in seconds, yeah i also remember read those parts about ps1

so i'm guessing you only have the headphone itself? not the whole system with the wireless receiver and amp?

haha headamp using a really great design by kevin gilmore, i haven't get a chance to try any of his design but will do someday, yours should improve a lot with GRLV psu

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #41,698 of 65,548
hi richard,

that's make perfect sense then, you have some connection :D when i saw 2 fg1 at online auction years ago both were located in japan

i remember that ebay listing but didn't see any fg1 on their listing, mostly was hp1000 and some prototype models. those fg1 probably gone in seconds, yeah i also remember read those parts about ps1

so i'm guessing you only have the headphone itself? not the whole system with the wireless receiver and amp?

haha headamp using a really great design by kevin gilmore, i haven't get a chance to try any of his design but will do someday, yours should improve a lot with GRLV psu

Hi Ruhenhei,

Affirmative on only having the headphone FG-1 and not the electronic components of wireless transmitter and receiver.

Wow, you must really know your Grado stuff cos not many I corresponded with knows about the FG-1 especially when they are not in Asia.

Cheers.

Richard

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #41,699 of 65,548
Hi Ruhenhei,

Affirmative on only having the headphone FG-1 and not the electronic components of wireless transmitter and receiver.

Wow, you must really know your Grado stuff cos not many I corresponded with knows about the FG-1 especially when they are not in Asia.

Cheers.

Richard
honestly i thought freesystem was german company but few years looking at ebay.de got me nowhere and then i googled about any company called freesystem and one show up, i was shocked because it's in singapore. i still wasn't sure but the company profile stated they dealing with communication equipment so it might be true, that's when i thought if there is one chance fg1 ever show up it's gotta be in japan market, those crazy collectors must have this thing and it did showed up but no such luck for the rarest grado ever :D
https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0288027D:SP

i'm glad someone finally sharing the news there are grado fg1 out there, nicely done sir!
just do us a favor, post pics of your fg1 from time to time. even fg1 pictures are super rare just like the headphone itself

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #41,700 of 65,548
Hi ruhenhei,

Most of the info on the Grado FG-1 that I found was from here posted by seemingly well learned headphones collector, Roger, in China:

<<http://www.headphoneclub.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=293147&extra=page=1&page=1&mobile=2>>

Seems Hifiman's designer and/or owner was involved in the Development of the Freesystem system some >15 yrs ago and worked for Mr. Grado.

Don't mean to pass judgement and perhaps indeed bias since I have the FG-1 like Roger though without his uber rare complete system including the wireless components but I will never support Hifiman products if he is indeed the designer/owner.

He seems defensive, rude and arrogant when not even directed as seemingly so from reading this public thread in chinese (update: read the post again and seems Roger had filed a complaint to a China consumer product watchdog organisation after Mr. Hifiman did not respond on some product fault issue ... seems Roger no longer appeared in the forum since mid 2019)

Cheers.

Richard
Screenshot_20200704-001749_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back