Grado Fan Club!
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #41,506 of 65,468
I need to listen to a pair of PS2000e's also with my Hugo 2 and compare with my GS3000e's. I'm loving my GS3000e's. Now have well over 100 hours burn in time on them and have noticed the change in sound from new.

They are voiced fairly closely to my ears. The GS3000e's comfort is improved due to their lighter weight...but the bass goes a bit deeper and the smoother treble (along with slightly improved imaging) puts the PS2000e ahead to my ears. Both are outstanding though.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #41,507 of 65,468
They are voiced fairly closely to my ears. The GS3000e's comfort is improved due to their lighter weight...but the bass goes a bit deeper and the smoother treble (along with slightly improved imaging) puts the PS2000e ahead to my ears. Both are outstanding though.

PS2000e is superb. Haven't heard the GS3000e and nearly went for it due to the lighter weight but so glad I decided on the PS2000e. Was concerned when I removed it from the box and felt the weight but on the head it's comfortable (for Grado) and I'm surprised how long I can wear it, probably down to the wider headband and light grip. Soundstage is terrific and my HD800 is now sitting in a cupboard!

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #41,508 of 65,468
PS2000e is superb. Haven't heard the GS3000e and nearly went for it due to the lighter weight but so glad I decided on the PS2000e. Was concerned when I removed it from the box and felt the weight but on the head it's comfortable (for Grado) and I'm surprised how long I can wear it, probably down to the wider headband and light grip. Soundstage is terrific and my HD800 is now sitting in a cupboard!

The larg ear pads and weight re-distribution make them great headphones for long listening sessions for me too.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #41,509 of 65,468
Start with the SR60. If you like what you hear then you can do some research in this thread to find a suitable upgrade. If you do upgrade, the SR60 can then become your beater or backup set (or you can sell it or trade it).
@ogidigo I agree the SR60 is just amazing for the price and sound and was my first Grado.

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #41,510 of 65,468
Wanting to start at the Grado world. Which one would you guys recommend as the first one?

I will break with some others here and give you this piece of advice: start with something relatively low cost, considering the Grado line.

Maybe the SR125e for $150 US (I bought these for my daughter and she hated them, so I gave them to my stepson).

To be brutally honest, all of the Grado models I've listened to all have a common sound signature ... and it's love/hate experience for most people. If you love the sound, move up the chain for a bigger sound stage, et al. But if you don't care for the sound, moving up the chain won't change your opinion. As always, YMMV.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #41,511 of 65,468
I will break with some others here and give you this piece of advice: start with something relatively low cost, considering the Grado line.

Yeah, go with the SR80e ($100) or the HF3 ($350) if you want a woodie, as it has a better build quality with a leather headband and braided cable. You can ignore every other model unless you know exactly what you want.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #41,512 of 65,468
The Grado Hemp is a big meme. $420. I don't think I'll jump the gun on it immediately, though. The idea of buying a headphone that is literally a medium density fiberboard mashup (hemp + maple) instead of a true tonewood doesn't sit well with me. What's next, a Grado with cups made of particle board? Also, my experience with their maple headphones (GH1, GS2000e) is that they're tuned brighter than usual. Perhaps that's why they're using flat pads, as using the L or G cushions would make the treble way too hot.

Hopefully whoever gets this can compare it against the other wooden Grados in the ballpark: GH3, RS2e, and HF3. I have a feeling that the HF3 would come out as the winner, as it was tuned for more discerning ears. The problem is that other than collectors or retail shops, few people have multiple mid-priced models. It's better to just save and go for one of the high-end models.

I'd love to see upgrades internally and not aesthetically.
Jonathon really likes his wood.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #41,513 of 65,468
I need to listen to a pair of PS2000e's also with my Hugo 2 and compare with my GS3000e's. I'm loving my GS3000e's. Now have well over 100 hours burn in time on them and have noticed the change in sound from new.

You can say that I'm a person who sceptical enough to think a Grado would cost almost $3k, seems like a joke.

Till I heard it myself. Oh damn, I never be this wrong in my life before. PS2000e is the pinnacle of "musical feel" that force me to headbanging, toe tapping, or perhaps even shake my whole body to follow the music rhythm. I agree PS2000e is not the king of technicality, but it could be the king of engagement in term of connecting soul with music.

Never had this experience with other headphones before, included the rest of Grado line up. Too bad the fit is not that great on my head. A bit easy to moved when I shake my head a little (or perhaps not so little I guess), and a bit heavy on top area of my ears.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #41,514 of 65,468
You can say that I'm a person who sceptical enough to think a Grado would cost almost $3k, seems like a joke.

Till I heard it myself. Oh damn, I never be this wrong in my life before. PS2000e is the pinnacle of "musical feel" that force me to headbanging, toe tapping, or perhaps even shake my whole body to follow the music rhythm. I agree PS2000e is not the king of technicality, but it could be the king of engagement in term of connecting soul with music.

Never had this experience with other headphones before, included the rest of Grado line up. Too bad the fit is not that great on my head. A bit easy to moved when I shake my head a little (or perhaps not so little I guess), and a bit heavy on top area of my ears.
I get the same feeling with the GS3000e's as you are describing your experience with the PS2000e and I don't get the heavy weight of the PS2000e's as the GS3000e's are much lighter.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #41,515 of 65,468

Which is kind of sad that all the cool kids are bashing Grado nowadays. Anything that is "old" and not the latest FOTM must suck, apparently.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #41,516 of 65,468
Which is kind of sad that all the cool kids are bashing Grado nowadays. Anything that is "old" and not the latest FOTM must suck, apparently.
Yes I can't understand why people slate Grado Headphones. I have owned Stax SR900's (with a BHSE), HD800's, Audeze's and more recently tried the Meze Empy's for a couple of weeks. I never knew what the big hype was with these headphones on Head-Fi.org. They were ok but not amazing like a lot of people say. I am enjoying my GS3000e's far more than these after mentioned headphones I have owned and used.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #41,517 of 65,468
Yes I can't understand why people slate Grado Headphones. I have owned Stax SR900's (with a BHSE), HD800's, Audeze's and more recently tried the Meze Empy's for a couple of weeks. I never knew what the big hype was with these headphones on Head-Fi.org. They were ok but not amazing like a lot of people say. I am enjoying my GS3000e's far more than these after mentioned headphones I have owned and used.

Everyone has what they like I guess. I have the PS1000e and HD650 as my two main headphones right now, and try as I might (to enjoy the PS1000e) with my current rig, I find myself reaching for the HD650 instead (and twice on Sunday so to speak). I'm getting a new amp in a couple of days, and I'm really hoping it will help me to enjoy the PS1000e again! I've got my fingers crossed!!

That aside though, I really want to hear a GS3000e and a PS2000e sometime. I've read a lot of good things about both cans that's for sure. Maybe one of them will be next years purchase! Especially if the new amp brings the PS1000e back to life so to speak.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #41,518 of 65,468
Grado doesn't advertise. They rarely attend shows. Their product design is straight out of 1950 and they have no "story" about their drivers like other high end manufacturers. In fact, they don't want to talk about their drivers or technology. They claim to tune all their headphones using the same few jazz recordings from the 50's and 60's just by tradition? Reviewers generally hate them and avoid their products. When they do get a review it is usually not favorable. Often reviewers claim the lowest models in the Grado line are basically the same sound as their expensive models (I don't agree). I recently bought the RS2e and I enjoy it. I do own other headphones so my Grado is in rotation. They have a unique sound. Love it or hate it is very personal thing but certainly not traditional "audiophile" tuning. Sorry for the long answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back