Grado Fan Club!
May 14, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #41,371 of 65,468
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and could not find much info about this: what kind of custom earpads do you use? So far the only info I found was

a. Either of the Grado lineup (L, G, S, etc)
b. Sennheiser yellow pads
c. TTVJ pads
d. Beautiful audio pads - my favorites but super expensive

Is there any other option out there? I am looking for something like option d. but cheaper.
Which Grado headphones are you using?

My preferences with SR60 and GH4:
  • WinnerEco G-cush sound awful with either headphone.
  • WinnerEco L-pads beat authentic Grado S-Pads, for sound and comfort on the SR60. The SR60 with these pads mounted are the most comfortable headphone I have ever used, by far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2XP91L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Grado L-cush sound best with either headphone, comfort is OK, not great.
  • I like the comfort of Grado G-cush, but they do not sound as good as the L-cush with my headphones, which in fairness were not designed for G-cushions.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #41,372 of 65,468
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and could not find much info about this: what kind of custom earpads do you use? So far the only info I found was

c. TTVJ pads

Is there any other option out there? I am looking for something like option d. but cheaper.

headphile c-pads .
http://www.headphile.com/page15.html
i'm not sure if they still operate or not though. there are plenty of some kind of knock off earpads and modified earpads for grado on the internet. the problem is not many are well documented on how would they sound or alter the sound

May 14, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #41,373 of 65,468
Hi everyone,

c. TTVJ pads

headphile c-pads .
http://www.headphile.com/page15.html
i'm not sure if they still operate or not though. there are plenty of some kind of knock off earpads and modified earpads for grado on the internet. the problem is not many are well documented on how would they sound or alter the sound

if you have some idea about your dream earpad, perhaps this company could help you
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads
i ask them before to make this kind of earpad and they have no problem with that
nd6ZO0nNp7gY_RflkzLsAG7QdKaeWhrcVBerqEka06nOQzmgTIsmC_oTtODEDci-2zyoAPrtPM4TmUPFpQDd

if you requested at them for grado earpad,they shouldn't have any problem with that

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #41,374 of 65,468
*double post* sorry

May 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #41,375 of 65,468
I had started another thread about my current Prestige comparison with different cushions, but judging by the activity, I should've just posted here. Seems a lot busier!

I've been comparing my brand new SR225e, my recently-serviced SR125 (which I could swear came back with a thicker cable), and my original SR60. I've been using G pads, L pads, and S pads (all genuine Grado), as well as some Geekria pads that are like S pads with a hole (essentially a pre-fab quarter mod from Amazon).

Everyone's tastes and hearing are different, of course, and I should probably add a disclaimer in my signature that mentions that I have some hearing loss, but I think my favorites are the S pads across all three headphones.

G pads: I guess it's the wider soundstage brought about by the distance of the drivers from the ears, but they sound a bit "artificially cavernous" to me when going back and forth with the others. They're also a bit too bright with the SR60 for me.

L pads: Less comfortable and also just a bit too bright for me, I think. I can tolerate them, but they're probably not my first choice.

S pads: For me this seems like the sweet spot. They tame the brightness a bit without losing much detail (if any) while bringing in some fun low-end (although I'm not a bass head). They're also reasonably comfortable.

Geekria: Maybe these compress more, but they seem to bring in even more low end, so much so that I think they're just a bit "boomy" sounding. Some might like it, but I think I like the S pads better.

I would note, though, that I could probably listen to any of these combinations pretty happily, maybe with the exception of the G or L cushions on the SR60, which I think are just a bit too harsh. Differences I'm noticing are not as apparent when I'm not going back and forth between models and cushions in a short time.

Interestingly, I also think that the changes in cushions make a bigger difference than changes in models, at least between the SR125 and SR225e. Even the SR60 really doesn't sound very different to me, which I think says a lot about the quality of Grado's entry level, even when the headphones have aged 15-20 years. My SR125 should be about 21 years old now, although I'm not sure what all was done to service them and which parts might be new....

I've just started getting into Grados (thanks to a friend), having dismissed them for years as "That Brooklyn Hipster Headphone for music without bass for those without hearing in the highs" as they've uncharitably been described, but I'm finding models that sound better than I remember (maybe I am losing my hearing enough that it sounds less treble-y). By far, for me, the biggest drawback of the Grado line is the cushions (followed closely by the earcup spin, then cable, then headband).

I've not tried G cush or aftermarket L cush, but I find the S pads painful after more than 30 minutes of listening. I don't mind a sort-of-sunflower mod (the Sennheiser 414 pads the a larger velour pad around them, most typically a G cush) but I find the Earzonk and Senn 414 pads more comfortable than the Grado S pads without changing the sound overly much. The Sennheiser 414 pads are slightly more transparent than the Grados S, then the Earzonk and then the Geekria. I've sampled on the SR80e, SR125e, SR325i, SR325i Gold+Liberators, etc.

Sound Quality:
1. Sennheiser
2. Grado
3. Earzonks
4. Geekria

Wear Comfort
1. Sennheiser
2. Earzonk
3. Grado (my ears will stick into the pad until they contact the driver and leave imprints, no matter how loose the clamp force is)
4. Geekria

Texture [smooth-rough]
1. Grado, washed (someone else's)
1.A. Grado stock, unwashed
2. Senn
3. Generic aftermarket
4. Earzonk
5. Geekria

I'm really interested in the Beautiful Audio G-cushion replacement pads as the most promising replacement over any of the S-pads since I have so many over-ear pads (sponsor me, Dekoni or ZMF?).

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #41,376 of 65,468
Hi Guys.

Got myself a brand new pair of GS3000E last week. Sounded terrible but was not worried because i had grados before and they all sound bad at the start. After 50 hrs burn in it sounded promising, things started to open up but it still sounded constrained and lightweight in the mids and bass.

Now at 150 hrs I am m starting to panic!!! The GS3000 still sounds very lightweight, it lacks boogie factor and overall sounds pretty flat.I have a pair of PS1000e which besides being a bit bright on top has so much more slam and most importantly boogie/prat.

Am I too early to judge the GS3000E? Does it need more burn in? Or is it the way it sounds and that I may not suit my tastes?

From reports and reviews the GS3000e is universally liked so I am scratching my head on why it is so underwhelming to me.

Note: i know the grado sound, i have had RS1, RS2e, PS1000 and PS1000e.

May 14, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #41,377 of 65,468
From reports and reviews the GS3000e is universally liked so I am scratching my head on why it is so underwhelming to me.

The GS3000e has a similar sound signature as the GS2000e, but the GS2000e was a divisive headphone. The GS3000e has good bass quality but less than what you'd expect out of a whole cocobolo cup, and not as extreme of a 6k-7k peak as the GS2000e, but it's still there. What's most likely happening is that you're turning down the volume because of the 6k-7k peak, which causes everything else to feel underwhelming.

I run mine EQ'd with the following EqualizerAPO configuration in the spoiler. Give it a try, though the upper bass dip is personal taste and you may want to raise the 90/110hz/180hz sliders for more heft. Raise the 60hz slider and adjust the preamp for more bass.

Code:
[Speakers]
SpeakerId0=0
SpeakerTargets0=all
SpeakerName0=All
SpeakerId1=1
SpeakerTargets1=L
SpeakerName1=Left
SpeakerId2=2
SpeakerTargets2=R
SpeakerName2=Right
[General]
PreAmp=-9.3
[Frequencies]
Frequency1=10
Frequency2=30
Frequency3=60
Frequency4=90
Frequency5=110
Frequency6=180
Frequency7=240
Frequency8=400
Frequency9=500
Frequency10=1000
Frequency11=1500
Frequency12=2000
Frequency13=3000
Frequency14=4000
Frequency15=5500
Frequency16=7500
Frequency17=12000
Frequency18=16000
Frequency19=20000
Frequency20=22000
[Gains]
Gain1=3.5
Gain2=2.7
Gain3=6.7
Gain4=2
Gain5=-1.5
Gain6=-1.5
Gain7=-2
Gain8=-0.5
Gain9=5.8
Gain10=3
Gain11=0.8
Gain12=4.4
Gain13=3.2
Gain14=-1
Gain15=-2
Gain16=-1
Gain17=5
Gain18=3
Gain19=-3
Gain20=-30
[Qualities]
Quality1=0.3
Quality2=0.8
Quality3=0.6
Quality4=1.6
Quality5=1.6
Quality6=1
Quality7=1.4
Quality8=1.8
Quality9=0.7
Quality10=0.8
Quality11=1
Quality12=0.8
Quality13=1.5
Quality14=1.4
Quality15=1
Quality16=0.8
Quality17=1
Quality18=1.5
Quality19=2
Quality20=1
[Filters]
Filter20=1

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #41,379 of 65,468
Try -6. Make sure you don't kill 4k with it because lowering 4k too much kills the Grado sparkle.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #41,380 of 65,468
Ummm Something strange!!!

I should state that the 150 burn in was done on a portable device and not my main amp. The GS3000e has only had about 6 hrs play time on my main rig.

This morning I played/burn in 5 hrs on my main rig. The sound has greatly improved. How much? I cant say atm. All i can state is that i am excited!!!!

Dont know why the burn in with my portable did not work or was not effective? I have burned in all my previous headphones with my Pioneer XDP 300r.

May 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #41,381 of 65,468
Ummm Something strange!!!

I should state that the 150 burn in was done on a portable device and not my main amp. The GS3000e has only had about 6 hrs play time on my main rig.

This morning I played/burn in 5 hrs on my main rig. The sound has greatly improved. How much? I cant say atm. All i can state is that i am excited!!!!

Dont know why the burn in with my portable did not work or was not effective? I have burned in all my previous headphones with my Pioneer XDP 300r.
I have been using my GS3000e's that I bought 10 days ago with my Chord Hugo 2 with the 1/4" jack output for about 50 hours now. It's getting a bit smoother now in the highs than straight out of the box.

I have had my Hugo 2 connected both to my Chord Blu Mk1 CD Transporter via twin BNC to give me 176kHz sampling rate and direct from my Macbook via USB using Audivana software to give me standard 44kHz sampling rate. The GS3000e's are so transparent and resolving playing via my Blu sounds far superior to the Macbook and if you have a badly produced piece of music it shows it directly in your face.

In other words the GS3000e only lets you hear what has been recorded with no colouration that I can hear. I haven't had any problem with bass, midrange nor treble from the GS3000e's. If the recording has deep bass the GS3000e's will produce it, if not then you won't hear it. Same for midrange and treble.

Granted, some genres of music are better suited to the GS3000e but overall they sound great to superb from classical to jazz to pop to metal to R&B etc. again depending on the quality of the original recording and production.

When I have a good 150+ hours on them I will be publishing a full review of them. For now, I am just sitting back in the late evenings during the week and during the day and evening into the night at weekends and enjoying these great headphones.

May 15, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #41,382 of 65,468
Try -6. Make sure you don't kill 4k with it because lowering 4k too much kills the Grado sparkle.
I know you are not too happy about the GS2ke:wink: But if you couldn’t afford the GS3ke, could you recommend an eq for the former, that would improve the sound according to your ears? 😊

May 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #41,383 of 65,468
Could use some serious advice. I have a choice between used RS-1i or a brand new HF-3 at the same price. I've seen comparisons between RS2E and HF-3, but not to RS-1. Not expecting one to necessarily be better than the other, Im just not sure what the major differences would be.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #41,384 of 65,468
I broke down and ordered the HF3. RIch Grado emailed me to let me know there were 2 left. I seriously doubt I'll be disappointed. I have a 225 now, but over the years I've had pretty much everything up the line up to RS-1, including HF-1 and HF-2.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #41,385 of 65,468
I broke down and ordered the HF3. RIch Grado emailed me and to let ne know there were 2 left. I had contacted 4your Ears a few days ago asking if there were any left. I seriously doubt I'll be disappointed. I have a 225 now, but over the years I've had pretty much everything up the line up to RS-1, including HF-1 and HF-2.

Sound quality wise the HF3 can't be beated for the price. It is just the finishing of the wood cups is a bit rough comparing to the higher priced models. You may want to polish the HF3 wood cups with wood wax to make them nicer looking. (I did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back