Grado Fan Club!
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #36,316 of 65,548
After 8 years in the game so to speak I'm looking to buy my first Grado! GH-2 or PS-500e? Opinions? Like that they both seem to be a bit bassier, and a bit more mellow. Guide me into a decision.

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #36,317 of 65,548
mmm gh2, just because it's limited edition if you don;t like it you could sell it easily and still be able to buy ps 500e if you want

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #36,318 of 65,548
After 8 years in the game so to speak I'm looking to buy my first Grado! GH-2 or PS-500e? Opinions? Like that they both seem to be a bit bassier, and a bit more mellow. Guide me into a decision.
I haven't heard the GH-2 but have heard the PS500e and PS500 and I wouldn't get either after building a pair of custom headphones using a Ypsilon G1 and Nhoord Red V2. If you want a bit more bass and a nice mellow tone over the PS500e either will fit the bill.

If you are unsure then @ruhenheiM has a good suggestion on the GH-2 since its a limited edition and would be easier to sell.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #36,319 of 65,548
I happen to have both. I use GH2 for folk/ singer-songwriter, Elliott Smith/ Nick Drake/ etc, like the added warmth to the vocal. I use PS500e for indie/ alternative rock, more balanced and with more sparkle in treble. Both are not the typical Grado house sound, but the GH2 is even further, probably the most laid back Grado.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #36,321 of 65,548
I have GS1000’s that have the new drivers. I also have a pair of SR 80’s, lcd 2, and just got a pair of Meze classic 90’s. Had mass drop fostek, and hd600 senns. I like the Grado’s best. They are light, comfortable, and most of all, they have that sound. They will not vibrate base like Audeze, but they have snap. But do t overdrive them.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #36,322 of 65,548
Even Zeos Pantera, who absolutely s*** on the PS500, has just released a review praising the sound and vocals in particular on the GS1000i, which found so compelling he bought!

Note: he spends a lot of time complaining about the cable and padding and “cheap build” but ends with praise.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #36,323 of 65,548
Even Zeos Pantera, who absolutely s*** on the PS500, has just released a review praising the sound and vocals in particular on the GS1000i, which found so compelling he bought!

Note that he was using aftermarket g-cushions, most likely the Earzonks. This changes the sound. I think the aftermarket g-cushions tame the treble further, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should get a pair myself because right now I'm EQing down the treble on my GS2000e. If Zeos can listen to the GS1000i without EQ then maybe the GS1000i is better than the GS2000e, because I don't agree with the GS2000e's stock sound. Hmm...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #36,326 of 65,548
Just a quick update. I did get the cheap eBay G pads to try on my SR225e. And at first I did prefer them, comfort wise. What I didn't like was that they made a hair more space between my ears and the drivers, which led to a touch more treble (to me, not saying it'll be the same for everyone). The last thing they needed sound wise was that. So, back to the old pads. And a funny thing happened. My ears got used to the old pads almost right away. I don't know if they softened up a hair, or my ears hardened :nerd: Anyway, still loving the sound of these, especially at the price. Have to admit I'm considering slightly more expensive models in the future. I really don't want to go over $500 on them. Wouldn't mind getting a slightly more laid back, softer sounding model, but I'm honestly not sure which to go for. Any opinions?

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #36,327 of 65,548
RS2e!! One of Grado's best on ears. See links in my signature for why I think so..

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #36,329 of 65,548
Just a quick update. I did get the cheap eBay G pads to try on my SR225e. And at first I did prefer them, comfort wise. What I didn't like was that they made a hair more space between my ears and the drivers, which led to a touch more treble (to me, not saying it'll be the same for everyone). The last thing they needed sound wise was that. So, back to the old pads. And a funny thing happened. My ears got used to the old pads almost right away. I don't know if they softened up a hair, or my ears hardened :nerd: Anyway, still loving the sound of these, especially at the price. Have to admit I'm considering slightly more expensive models in the future. I really don't want to go over $500 on them. Wouldn't mind getting a slightly more laid back, softer sounding model, but I'm honestly not sure which to go for. Any opinions?

I'm just going to echo everybody and say RS2e. If you want increased bass response and warmth while taming the treble, I'd highly recommend the TTVJ deluxe pads. They're expensive at $60, but they're worth every dollar.

FWIW, I thought the PS500e would be an upgrade, but I ended up keeping the RS2e instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back