Grado Fan Club!
May 28, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #32,101 of 65,063
The HD 800S is the best I've ever heard: even better than the classic 800.

YMMV...

I have to stop spending on electronics and move to a flagship set of cans.

I was all set to make the HD-800S the next purchase, but now I am weighing the GS2Ke, after reading some of the posts in that thread.

May 29, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #32,104 of 65,063
  From the PS1000 thread: 

"Thought I'd drop some thoughts on a new setup I've got for the PS1k.

Sold the Woo WA7tp (something about the low end was just 'off') and in its stead, picked up a Liquid Carbon. Right now the AK100ii is serving as the DAC until a pair of balanced interconnects can go between my Emotiva DC-1 and the LC. 

In any case, this amp is GREAT with the Grado. This is easily the most realistic soundstage/separation I've heard from a headphone. Things sound so clean and so rich and so real. The decay on cymbals is just unreal, as are the nuance-y things like fingers sliding on strings or ghosted bass drum hits. Loving this rig right now and I'm hoping for a slight improvement come balanced cables!

Oh, AND i've got a pair of Alpha Primes en route so the wife doesn't have to listen to all of my music with me :)"

I was hitting up @Oteil yesterday and I'm pretty sure I was annoying the snot out of him going on and on about how great the PS1k's sound. I'm telling you guys, they are incredible coming from this little amp. I'd been recommended using an SS amp for the PS1k and I'll admit I was skeptical at first, but this really is just a different level of performance than what I'm used to. Sonic. Bliss!

i'm not the one to say "i told you so" but i (and another one or two folks) told you so !  
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #32,105 of 65,063
Grado PS1000 vs. GS1000i vs. GH1/G

Despite the fact that my rankings here indirectly provide a ranking of the Grado PS1000. GS1000i, and GH1 with G cush ("GS1/G"), I decided to compare them directly using my 10-feature 3-way rankings as further described in that same post.  

The ranking derived for the above post would be GS1000i > GH1/G > PS1000.  My direct comparison ranked them in the same order, with a bit more detail about in which area each headphone excelled.

Here they are:

PS1000 (top) costs the most; GH1000i (middle) sounds the best, with most transparency and soundstage, and the GH1 with non-stock G cushions (over ear instead of on ear) sounded nearly as good and excelled at treble detail.

The following table ranks the three headphones in  a first place (blue), second place (red), thirdplace (yellow) sense, on each of 10 acoustic features. Higher numbers are better (first place = 3 points). Ties have fractional points (1.5)

PS1000 excelled at preserving the pitch of bass notes and maintaining the brassy timbre of reed organ  and most sensitive to small changes in sound in complex sound; GS1000i excelled at soundstage and transparency, and GS1/G was best at treble detail, as measured by bass finger pluck.

As found in earlier tests, the GH1 headphone behaves significantly differently (better) when the G cush over ear cushions are used instead of the stock L on-ear bowls.

The overall order of acoustic test scores from these direct comparisons was the same indirectly determined by combining  multiple three-way comparisons in the post cited at the start of this post.

May 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #32,106 of 65,063
damn it John... After the ps500 I've come to the conclusion that I won't buy another pair of non-traditional Grados (that is, those that don't follow the RS1 signature), but that post of yours made me think again... The GH1 is now on the waiting list

May 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #32,107 of 65,063
  damn it John... After the ps500 I've come to the conclusion that I won't buy another pair of non-traditional Grados (that is, those that don't follow the RS1 signature), but that post of yours made me think again... The GH1 is now on the waiting list

Excellent choice…can't go wrong with this HP using either the "stock" (L) or (G) cushions, IMO the (G) cushions take the GH1 to another level in every way!

May 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #32,108 of 65,063

By waiting list do you mean you have a GH1 one order with a dealer? I do know that as of teo weeks ago Grado had probably less than a dozen left, maybe half that number.

Good luck, as Joseph says you will not regret it......

:rolleyes:

May 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #32,110 of 65,063
May 30, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #32,111 of 65,063
How many of you have their Grados with balanced cables using a fully balanced system? Is there a significant SQ between balanced/SE with the easily driven Grados?

I'm asking because all of the sudden the GS2Ke has an optional balanced cable and I'm probably most certain to own them one day with the balanced cable option, so this has me quite curious as to why? I already have the fully balanced PWDll and balanced XLR cables as well, so I'm considering ordering a GS-X Mk2, which in this case I would have my PS1K/GH1/RS1i re-cabled to balanced as well...or I will just keep them SE and continue to use my GS-1 with the dynalo+ modules being I'd only be using half the
GS-X Mk2's power if I left my Grado SE, so it would be a waste of money. OTOH, if I would like to try other HP's in the future that benefit/demand more power to drive them, the GS-X Mk2 would offer all options.

I'm asking for opinions/impressions from those who heard/have their Grado balanced with a fully balanced system if it is worth the SQ before buying the GS-X Mk2, and why all of the sudden is the GS2Ke offering the balanced cable option when it is an easily driven HP? Thanks 

May 31, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #32,112 of 65,063
  How many of you have their Grados with balanced cables using a fully balanced system? Is there a significant SQ between balanced/SE with the easily driven Grados?

I'm asking because all of the sudden the GS2Ke has an optional balanced cable and I'm probably most certain to own them one day with the balanced cable option, so this has me quite curious as to why? I already have the fully balanced PWDll and balanced XLR cables as well, so I'm considering ordering a GS-X Mk2, which in this case I would have my PS1K/GH1/RS1i re-cabled to balanced as well...or I will just keep them SE and continue to use my GS-1 with the dynalo+ modules being I'd only be using half the
GS-X Mk2's power if I left my Grado SE, so it would be a waste of money. OTOH, if I would like to try other HP's in the future that benefit/demand more power to drive them, the GS-X Mk2 would offer all options.

I'm asking for opinions/impressions from those who heard/have their Grado balanced with a fully balanced system if it is worth the SQ before buying the GS-X Mk2, and why all of the sudden is the GS2Ke offering the balanced cable option when it is an easily driven HP? Thanks 

I've only heard my friends GS-1000e balanced on a EC Balancing Act, to me it didn't make any difference, he also had an adapter to go back to SE so I was able to hear it both ways with a quick cable change.  It did make a difference for the HD-800/S, T1 and a few other headphones on the same setup.  It was a simple change to just the terminator from the TRS to a XLR and having the adapter means you can still use them on other SE amps.  Hope others can give you more opinions.

May 31, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #32,113 of 65,063

It's funny you mention the GS-X Mk2. I've been looking at a somewhat future proof balanced amp. If you do get the GS2ke balanced, it comes as a 4-pin XLR. The Mk2 looks like it has the dual 3-pin XLR headphone input. There might be an adapter for that, I'm not too sure. Supposedly, the GS2ke balanced comes with an 1/4 unbalanced adapter.

For Grado to go balanced it's certainly saying something about the market. All the other brands high end $1000+ headphones offer up a balanced cable option. Hopefully balanced isn't just another fad like 3D television, which then people turned to 4K. This is the first headphone Grado released with a balanced option. This would have to be a testing ground for whatever succeeds the "e" series. $170 for the add on isn't bad. Sennheiser charges $300+, so does Moon Audio for the dragon cables.

I'm a iFi guy all the way, their new iCan Pro amp has all the bell and whistles I'm looking for. The only problem is, it's almost the same price as the GS2ke. Going balanced is a big move, it does mean gradually getting new cables for your headphones. It's easier to take it one step at a time.
wink.gif

May 31, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #32,114 of 65,063
  I've only heard my friends GS-1000e balanced on a EC Balancing Act, to me it didn't make any difference, he also had an adapter to go back to SE so I was able to hear it both ways with a quick cable change.  It did make a difference for the HD-800/S, T1 and a few other headphones on the same setup.  It was a simple change to just the terminator from the TRS to a XLR and having the adapter means you can still use them on other SE amps.  Hope others can give you more opinions.

I've also read many times how one HP benefits from balanced and another doesn't like you've mentioned…but these are harder to drive HP's, not Grados.

It's funny you mention the GS-X Mk2. I've been looking at a somewhat future proof balanced amp. If you do get the GS2ke balanced, it comes as a 4-pin XLR. The Mk2 looks like it has the dual 3-pin XLR headphone input. There might be an adapter for that, I'm not too sure. Supposedly, the GS2ke balanced comes with an 1/4 unbalanced adapter.

For Grado to go balanced it's certainly saying something about the market. All the other brands high end $1000+ headphones offer up a balanced cable option. Hopefully balanced isn't just another fad like 3D television, which then people turned to 4K. This is the first headphone Grado released with a balanced option. This would have to be a testing ground for whatever succeeds the "e" series. $170 for the add on isn't bad. Sennheiser charges $300+, so does Moon Audio for the dragon cables.

I'm a iFi guy all the way, their new iCan Pro amp has all the bell and whistles I'm looking for. The only problem is, it's almost the same price as the GS2ke. Going balanced is a big move, it does mean gradually getting new cables for your headphones. It's easier to take it one step at a time.
wink.gif

I didn't realize the GS2Ke is a 4-pin…I knew the Mk2 was a 3-pin output, thanks for pointing that out. I've never had the opportunity to hear a fully balanced system (beside my 009/KGST) simply because I never had an amp with both options when I borrowed the HE1K/HD-800 and had the T1 for a short time so unfortunately I've never been able to A/B the differences for myself. Like @DavidA said,[size=x-small] most people agree certain HP's definitely benefit from being balanced but I [/size]can't[size=x-small] see the Grado benefiting. This seems to possibly be a marketing strategy as you said. I wouldn't mind getting the Mk2 being they are on hand for delivery as of right now, and also getting my Grados re-cabled if I knew for sure they would benefit being all of my HP's besides the 009 are Grados…at least for now. I am waiting for another member who just received the GS2Ke SE and is returning it for the balanced model to report back with his opinions/impressions on the SQ differences.[/size]

Thank you for the input, both of you!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back