Grado Fan Club!
May 1, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #31,802 of 65,063
@jaywillin, and everyone. Talking good music and Sunday etc.

I once mentioned the track The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, covered by Roberta Flack. I linked a youtube of it.

However I recently bought the CD, The Very Best of Roberta Flack. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CPH9IY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is bliss. The whole album is metling prefect.

I have listened to it over my speakers, but right now have it on SR225e.

(Just a nod for a great album if it's your thing.) I bought mine from Amazon, but it still shows up as undelivered. Which means I can not leave a review, so I can't tell folk about it. However I love it. £10 for a CD is not cheap. Honestly though it was worth it just for First Time Ever I saw Your Face. That was why I bought it; for that track. Also hearing it CD quality over the quality of the upload on youtube was stunning too.

I realised I liked Killing me Softly with his Song, and Tonight I Celebrate my Love. Therfore I thought I would get my money's worth from those tracks. I was absolutely knocked out that I liked all of it. I love this album and I am going to treasure it. It's just perfect mood music.

May 1, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #31,803 of 65,063
GS-1000i vs. RS2e vs. GS1000e

I could not resist!  I went at BOUGHT the GS1000i from Overture Audio that had been calling my name since I first starting going there in 2013!  They have had it for three years, and no one loved it except me!  I had taken my GS1000e and GH1 down there twice to compare it, and the GS1000i always won.  It reposed in place of pride, at the upper northwest corner of the interior of the store.

I bought it on the last day of Overture Audio's fiscal year, and they gave me an excellent price (in part because I also bought the HiFiMAN HE-6 headphone that I also tried out there three years ago, using the EF-6 amp that I subsequently bought from them... now EF-6 and HE-6 are REUNITED.  Many folks have put the HE-6 / EF-6 ahead of both the Sennheise HD 800 and the HiFiMAN HE1000 (HE-6 has faster snare drum and overall brighter).

It is so great to have a brick-and-mortar store that has a complete line of Grado AND HiFiMAN that you can try, ogle, and eventually buy.  In addition,Overture Audio has hosted a headphone meet for us twice - March 2015 and March of 2016, graced both times by the presence of jude and punctuated with door prizes.

And as for the performance of the GS1000I?  it has displaced my beloved RS2e as my best-scoring Grado in my tests!  

Despite its constant improvement over 13 months (> 250 hours) of use, the GS1000e still has a bit of "tubbiness" to its bass, which causes it to fall short of the GS1000i in "drum twang."  While its subbass ("bass visceral") is not as strong as that of the GS1000i, it is a bit tighter.  Both of the GS1000s have increased soundstage and positional resolution over the RS2e.

May 2, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #31,804 of 65,063
congrats @ruthieandjohn! Great thing you're doing by supporting your local Hifi store. Man I sure wish I had one close by too!  

I'd be interested on your take of the Hifiman HE6 vs Grados, especially the PS1000! The He6 has recently stirred my interest so I think that might be my next purchase. I have to say though, the only other Hifiman headphone I've ever owned was the He500 and I was not terribly impressed by it so I think that's what has kept me off of the He6 for so long. Boy they sho' is ugly! 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #31,805 of 65,063
Congrats ruthieandjohn, on your new additions. 

May 2, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #31,806 of 65,063
congrats @ruthieandjohn
! Great thing you're doing by supporting your local Hifi store. Man I sure wish I had one close by too!  

I'd be interested on your take of the Hifiman HE6 vs Grados, especially the PS1000! The He6 has recently stirred my interest so I think that might be my next purchase. I have to say though, the only other Hifiman headphone I've ever owned was the He500 and I was not terribly impressed by it so I think that's what has kept me off of the He6 for so long. Boy they sho' is ugly! :D

I will do one of my more formal comparisons of the HE-6 to the HE1000 and something else (maybe the PS1000!) but for now:

• HE-6 is VERY similar to the HE1000, but a bit brighter and "faster" with impacts such as snare drum;
  • PS1000 is more transparent and brighter than the HE1000, but HE1000 has greater soundstage and more sub bass.
  • Here is a chart comparing the HE1000 to the PS1000 (and Sennheiser HD 800)

May 2, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #31,807 of 65,063
Hi guys, i already have some closed back Headphones (M50X) and im interested in some open back ones, and i read that the Grados are pretty good, but i have a question, whats the diference between another open back and grados ones, also, i really want to get something around the 100-150 $, i really need info about Grado brand, series, models, etc, and what will be the major diference between grados and my M50X, thanks

May 2, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #31,808 of 65,063
  Hi guys, i already have some closed back Headphones (M50X) and im interested in some open back ones, and i read that the Grados are pretty good, but i have a question, whats the diference between another open back and grados ones, also, i really want to get something around the 100-150 $, i really need info about Grado brand, series, models, etc, and what will be the major diference between grados and my M50X, thanks

Grados are about as open back as you can get, not all open back headphones have the same degree of openness. 
For your price range you are looking at the Prestige line of Grado headphones, specific models would be SR-80 and SR-125, there are three others in the model line: SR-60, SR-225 and SR-325.
The other lines are: RS, PS, GS and GH, unfortunately the models in these lines are over your price limit.  The construction also varies from plastic, wood, metal or a combination of 2.

The sound difference between your M50 and either the SR-80 or SR-125 will be quite large, some like the Grado sound and some don't.  Another consideration is the comfort, Grado's are not the most comfortable but its an individual thing.

Hope others that are more familiar will also chime in

May 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #31,809 of 65,063
First listen of these sweet Alessandro Ms2i cans (I love the metal look, gorgeous!) I just picked up from @jaywillin for a nice price.... loving them so far!  I was jonesing for the Grado sound after giving away my SR80e's (first Grados except for eGrado which I still have/love) to a friend who needed good headphones.

May 2, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #31,810 of 65,063
Congrats Ruthie and Trellus on your new purchases!

Also on the last page I was asking if the GH1 leaned towards the "U" sound.. I was in fact talking about sound frequency as in increased lows and highs and attenuated mids.

I'm also jealous of the brick and morter local hifi store. So few of those exist nowadays and I sure wish I had one close by.

May 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #31,811 of 65,063
  First listen of these sweet Alessandro Ms2i cans (I love the metal look, gorgeous!) I just picked up from @jaywillin for a nice price.... loving them so far!  I was jonesing for the Grado sound after giving away my SR80e's (first Grados except for eGrado which I still have/love) to a friend who needed good headphones.

glad you dig 'em 
if you ever want to sell them, let me know, i've been known to buy back things i've sold before, 
in fact, the ms2i you have now is the second pair i've owned 

May 3, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #31,813 of 65,063

The box looks like it's the e series? I thought Grado kept the big pizza box until the end of the i-series?
Does your MS2 have red drivers?

May 3, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #31,815 of 65,063
  The box looks like it's the e series? I thought Grado kept the big pizza box until the end of the i-series?
Does your MS2 have red drivers?

these are the last of the "i" series purchased NOS from alessandro 
grado actually moved to the small box just before the "e" series came out
they are genuine  ms2i, no red driver, 1/4" jack , sound great, miss them already 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back