Grado Fan Club!
Feb 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #30,766 of 65,548
Call me crazy but so far I prefer the 225e (with the tape mod) versus the RS2e (without the tape mod) 
redface.gif

I will have to try the tape mod on the RS2e but so far my 225e are not going anywhere...

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #30,767 of 65,548
  Call me crazy but so far I prefer the 225e (with the tape mod) versus the RS2e (without the tape mod) 
redface.gif

I will have to try the tape mod on the RS2e but so far my 225e are not going anywhere...

you're crazy

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #30,770 of 65,548

I must be crazy too, because I have never tried the 'tape mod'.

I think that the cushions are quite soft and shape to how I wear them, when I put the 225e on. I think if I add a tape wall to the outside of the pads, the walls will become stiff.

I guess I have nothing to lose by trying it.

I was never a big tape mod fan, and I've tried it on like 4 different sets of Grados over the years.  But to each his own, whatever it takes to get us all to the Grado goodness we crave.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #30,771 of 65,548

I must be crazy too, because I have never tried the 'tape mod'.

I think that the cushions are quite soft and shape to how I wear them, when I put the 225e on. I think if I add a tape wall to the outside of the pads, the walls will become stiff.

I guess I have nothing to lose by trying it.

You should try the mod, it's completely reversible and there's no risk of damaging the ear pads.  (This works better with electrical tape)

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #30,773 of 65,548

You should try the mod, it's completely reversible and there's no risk of damaging the ear pads.  (This works better with electrical tape)

Yeh i absolutely don't mean risk of damaging the pads.

I mean I worried it might change the consistency of the squashiness of the sides of the pads. Meaning they may be held further off the ears. ...Where the pads lay over my cheek-bones, the pads mold to fit. They absord the shape of the face.

With tape around the sides of the pads I imagined the pads at the sides would be more resistive. Thus not hug as close. Or possibly be a little uncomfortable by feeling stiffer.

I don't know how else to explain it.

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #30,774 of 65,548

Yeh i absolutely don't mean risk of damaging the pads.

I mean I worried it might change the consistency of the squashiness of the sides of the pads. Meaning they may be held further off the ears. ...Where the pads lay over my cheek-bones, the pads mold to fit. They absord the shape of the face.

With tape around the sides of the pads I imagined the pads at the sides would be more resistive. Thus not hug as close. Or possibly be a little uncomfortable by feeling stiffer.

I don't know how else to explain it.

if you don't apply the tape tightly, you're just covering, not supporting, repairing the earpad, you shouldn't have issues
to be honest, the pads felt the same to me taped, or not

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #30,776 of 65,548
  but the tape will increase bass and decrease the midrange so not good.

I didn't feel like the tape on any of the cans I've tried the mod with lost midrange quanity or quality...

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #30,778 of 65,548
  In this case buy the Schiit Magni (amp) Modi (DAC) combo.

I wonder if anyone here has tried them with a Schiit Lyr by any chance (SR325is)? I have and it is *way* too bright with the Lyr. Running direct into my fiio player the brightness sounds just right but I still want it amped to get the most I can out of it. 

I just hesitate to go with the Magni because it might be too much? If anyone has tried with both the Lyr and Magni and can give me a rough comparison that would be great. I am using the Gungnir DAC for everything though I also have the Bifrost (mostly just for when I need something portable).

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #30,779 of 65,548
  I wonder if anyone here has tried them with a Schiit Lyr by any chance (SR325is)? I have and it is *way* too bright with the Lyr. Running direct into my fiio player the brightness sounds just right but I still want it amped to get the most I can out of it. 

I just hesitate to go with the Magni because it might be too much? If anyone has tried with both the Lyr and Magni and can give me a rough comparison that would be great. I am using the Gungnir DAC for everything though I also have the Bifrost (mostly just for when I need something portable).

I had the Lyr at one point but never listened to the 325is with it.
If your concerned about the Magni being too bright with the 325is then go with the Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp…you can roll tubes and change op-amps to you liking.

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #30,780 of 65,548

Yes, the Lyr2 and Magni will both present the SR325i in all its inherent brightness.  There's a catch 22 here, because to "get the most out of it" you would theoretically want an amp that was neutral, had a very high damping factor, and could deliver the voltage swings.  The problem there is that the SR325i is simply a bright headphone and any amp that does those things will reveal its brightness. The Magni and Lyr2 are both great amps, and they are simply going to deliver what the SR325is is to your ears.  You can play around with a bunch of amps that have various signal path distortions to try to find just the right combination, or you can get a headphone that isn't known as being one of the brightest headphones in the hi-fi headphone world.  You can also EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back