Grado Fan Club!
Oct 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #28,576 of 65,550

Welcome to ''The Dark Side'' guys.
beerchug.gif

If you guys like the PS1000e's sound, but think that it's too heavy, and expensive, you might want to give the GH-1, with G-cush, a try.

The GH-1 are not only a lot cheaper than the PS1000, but they're also much lighter, and the G-cush makes them even more comfortable.

The G-cush gives the GH-1 a sound signature that is similar to that of the PS1000, and the PS1000e.

I think that they are definately worth a try.

I would lie if I said I wasn't tempted by the GH-1, but since I recently bought PS1000e, I want to give them some love before I throw myself on another project. But GH-1 with G-cush is definitly on my radar now.

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #28,577 of 65,550
interesting. I was led to believe that the gh1 was more like the 325 sound but a little mellowed. I have the PS500e because I wanted a slightly better bass response and a slightly mellowed treble. Does the gh1 have that sound signature then?

IMO/IME the GH-1 w/without (G) cushions in no way sound like the 325.
I've never heard the PS-500/e but I would definitely recommend listening to the GH-1 w/(G) cushions…it has an effortless flowing musical sound-signature that plays very well with all Genre's I've listened to with it, and it is an extremely enjoyable HP to listen to for hours and hours. The GH-1 just lets you sit back and enjoy!!! I haven't listened to my PS1K in weeks, and I'm not implying either are "better" just different. Price/performance…for a total $695.00 the GH-1 w/(G) cushions wins hands down! 

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #28,578 of 65,550
nteresting. I was led to believe that the gh1 was more like the 325 sound but a little mellowed. I have the PS500e because I wanted a slightly better bass response and a slightly mellowed treble. Does the gh1 have that sound signature then?

In my opinion, the GH-1 is far from sounding like the SR325. It has good bass extension, and an extended, but smooth treble, especially with the stock L-cush.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #28,579 of 65,550

I would lie if I said I wasn't tempted by the GH-1, but since I recently bought PS1000e, I want to give them some love before I throw myself on another project. But GH-1 with G-cush is definitly on my radar now.

For some reason, I thought that you were thinking about buying the PS1000e, but thought that they were too expensive.

I agree with Joseph, about the fact that the GH-1/G is a great value. It's a cheaper alternative for someone looking for a sound signature similar to that of the PS1000.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #28,580 of 65,550
here's a question for grado/dap users...

at what point is it not beneficial to have a higher model grado with a dap?

yes, grados are easy to drive, but differences between the lower models and the higher models are not as apparent with a lowly dap.  

i currently have the 325e with my fiio x3II.  it's great and i'm curious if any higher models would make a difference.  i've had other grados with other configurations, but i haven't tried any other grado with my x3II.  

cheers

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #28,581 of 65,550

So, since friday afternoon, I also followed kayandjohn and bought my ticket for the party. Though here in Europe the ticket prices are higher. Since there seem to be no tickets around in France, where I life, I got my ticket in Madrid. Until now I have not listened much with them but the first impressions are positive. They have a nice bass but don't have the midbass hump that I hear with my PS500. They seem to have also more soundstage compared to my other grados with L-cushs on. Already with my SR325e, I had the impression that Grado changed something on this point with the e-series. But I listened to them during the weekend, "both ways open jaws" from the do and I have never heard the precussion on this album so nice. For the rest I need to have more time with them.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #28,582 of 65,550
I have some Grados(great headphones, btw) that need to be recabled. I have never soldered before. How would I approach this?

I have some Grados(great headphones, btw) that need to be recabled. I have never soldered before. How would I approach this?

See attached pic.
This kit is called the Elanco Amerikit, "learn to solder" and is highly reviewed.
I wanted to learn to mod video game controllers and their led lights but have no skills in terms of being careful, graceful, mechanical, coordinated, or any form of handy. The reviews seem great but I can't say from 1st Hand knowledge, as my sole skill is procrastination and I've barely had this kit a year... far too soon to follow up on a plan.
Setting my alarm for June 6, 2016 and entitled said alarm, "solder any chit yet?" And I will forward you my response.
Kay&john... I'll take those cats. I could solder them some braces (dental braces i mean; straighten their fangs, or unstraighten, whatever the opposite of their current state is) for practice next year so I don't mess up on a controller and waste $. And don't worry after their well-being... I've got 3 long-term terminal illness sized stashes of opioid painkillers in various not-that-clever hiding places around my house in case I was wrong & Jesus returns; I doubt they sell neosporin for hellfire burns down below, so I'm taking as many pills-de-poppy as I can grab before judgment is passed upon me. I expect it to be a short affair. I might get 60 seconds hesitation since he's supposed to be a soft-hearted hippie and I mean to utilize that foolish moment of weakness to fill my dungaroos with any opium derivative I can get my grubby paws on. Wormsdriver... see u down there. I'm pretty sure Caucasian heritage is mandatory for any ascension. All others shall descend with me. So sayeth the prophet known as me, Illbegotten of ??? Pending airing of maury episode I was in. I'm pretty sure I'm accurate too, as I correctly prophesied that I shoulda stayed away from the forum at 4am and tired, or at least shoulda **** 860 characters ago. Yay, blessed are the weak of mind and loud of mouth, so sayeth Saint Paul of McCartney and John the blowhard Baptist that gave grado purpose.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #28,583 of 65,550

There you go,  http://fillion.ca/fr/ ask for Pascal, and tell him that you were referred by Serge.

Alright an update, I contacted fillion.ca from their website I think half a day after you made this post. They didn't reply for 4 or so days so I pulled the trigger on r70x instead. The r70x just arrived today. On the 4th day or something somebody else other than Pascal replied and told me that he's more comfortable speaking English than Pascal and apologies for the late reply. The ps500 is still available at the mouth-watering price of $250 CAD. The person got back to me 10 minutes after that informing me how much shipping is to my country and it was $110 so I have to pass on it (because well... I paid for the r70x 2 days before they replied).

The r70x just arrived 2 hours ago, it's non-fatiguing, great, great, great for my inner-ear condition, smooth trebles, do almost everything better than the 325e but conveying emotions in vocals . I don't know what black magic Grado used that it's rendition of human vocals is so amazing to my ear and for my slow japanese music genres. It's absurd how much I like Grado despite the fact that some other headphones, let's say the 400i and this r70x is technically better.

The r70x is also not that different from Grado sound-sig wise, the difference being smoother more linear treble, a bit more midbass than the 325e (but not as much as the rs2e really), and more linear midrange. All in all, let's say I give the 2 headphones for a listen to somebody from my extended family, pretty sure the difference won't be as apparent to them as say, giving them a 325e vs. the 400i.

I'm not sure whether I'll ends up keeping this or selling it and get the Fidelio X2 instead. The x2 is really cheap here and I know it will complements Grado well. But the inkbleed issue (albeit maybe exaggerated), and the fact that it's rumoured to be end of production, made me hesitant to pull the trigger on them. On the other hand, r70x at $250 is pretty good deal in comparison to the US price of $350.

Honestly, the build quality is not all that good .It's sturdy and won't break anytime soon, but the cable exterior is quite *cheap-ish*. If people talk about how Grado is fragile or looks cheap or etc etc along similar line, they won't like the r70x build quality as much if not more.

My first impression when I unbox them is "what is this crap?" I don't have high standards and in hindsight it's made of what I think is sturdy materials, but the first impression of the build quality is bad. I never think Grado build quality is bad (QC is another matter), but upon looking at r70x for the first time it reminded me of some posts that think so, the r70x is worse.

The worst thing about it is that the cable is quite a disappointment. I won't say major but I can see my Grado cable to last for 10 years or so. The rubbery exterior of the r70x won't hold past 5 years before it will becomes stiff from dust I think.

Well it sounds like Grado without all the bite is my succinct impression of them so, it can be good or bad depends on the person. Anyway, if newer members post asking for grado-like recommendations that doesn't attack them, I might suggest them to audition the r70x for some variation.

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #28,584 of 65,550

Alright an update, I contacted fillion.ca from their website I think half a day after you made this post. They didn't reply for 4 or so days so I pulled the trigger on r70x instead. The r70x just arrived today. On the 4th day or something somebody else other than Pascal replied and told me that he's more comfortable speaking English than Pascal and apologies for the late reply. The ps500 is still available at the mouth-watering price of $250 CAD. The person got back to me 10 minutes after that informing me how much shipping is to my country and it was $110 so I have to pass on it (because well... I paid for the r70x 2 days before they replied).

The r70x just arrived 2 hours ago, it's non-fatiguing, great, great, great for my inner-ear condition, smooth trebles, do almost everything better than the 325e but conveying emotions in vocals . I don't know what black magic Grado used that it's rendition of human vocals is so amazing to my ear and for my slow japanese music genres. It's absurd how much I like Grado despite the fact that some other headphones, let's say the 400i and this r70x is technically better.

The r70x is also not that different from Grado sound-sig wise, the difference being smoother more linear treble, a bit more midbass than the 325e (but not as much as the rs2e really), and more linear midrange. All in all, let's say I give the 2 headphones for a listen to somebody from my extended family, pretty sure the difference won't be as apparent to them as say, giving them a 325e vs. the 400i.

I'm not sure whether I'll ends up keeping this or selling it and get the Fidelio X2 instead. The x2 is really cheap here and I know it will complements Grado well. But the inkbleed issue (albeit maybe exaggerated), and the fact that it's rumoured to be end of production, made me hesitant to pull the trigger on them. On the other hand, r70x at $250 is pretty good deal in comparison to the US price of $350.

Honestly, the build quality is not all that good .It's sturdy and won't break anytime soon, but the cable exterior is quite *cheap-ish*. If people talk about how Grado is fragile or looks cheap or etc etc along similar line, they won't like the r70x build quality as much if not more.

My first impression when I unbox them is "what is this crap?" I don't have high standards and in hindsight it's made of what I think is sturdy materials, but the first impression of the build quality is bad. I never think Grado build quality is bad (QC is another matter), but upon looking at r70x for the first time it reminded me of some posts that think so, the r70x is worse.

The worst thing about it is that the cable is quite a disappointment. I won't say major but I can see my Grado cable to last for 10 years or so. The rubbery exterior of the r70x won't hold past 5 years before it will becomes stiff from dust I think.

Well it sounds like Grado without all the bite is my succinct impression of them so, it can be good or bad depends on the person. Anyway, if newer members post asking for grado-like recommendations that doesn't attack them, I might suggest them to audition the r70x for some variation.

I'm disapointed that my dealer took so long to respond. I have been doing buisness with Fillion for almost 25 years, so I know the owner pretty well, and you can be sure that I'm going to inquire about why they aven't responded faster.

I live within walking distance from Fillion, so I have never communicated with them through the internet. I have referred MANY people over the years, and the majority of them have become regular Fillion customers. In my opinion, one unsatisfied customer, is one too many, especially if I was the one who referred that cutomer.
mad.gif

At least, you know that I wasn't B.S. you, about the great deal on the PS500. I'm sorry that you weren't able to buy them.

FYI, I just sold my GS1000, and the shipping cost from Montréal to Japan was, $113.94.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are ''r70x''
confused.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #28,587 of 65,550

I'm disapointed that my dealer took so long to respond. I have been doing buisness with Fillion for almost 25 years, so I know the owner pretty well, and you can be sure that I'm going to inquire about why they aven't responded faster.

I live within walking distance from Fillion, so I have never communicated with them through the internet. I have referred MANY people over the years, and the majority of them have become regular Fillion customers. In my opinion, one unsatisfied customer, is one too many, especially if I was the one who referred that cutomer.
mad.gif

At least, you know that I wasn't B.S. you, about the great deal on the PS500. I'm sorry that you weren't able to buy them.

FYI, I just sold my GS1000, and the shipping cost from Montréal to Japan was, $113.94.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are ''r70x''
confused.gif

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

s-l64.jpg

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #28,589 of 65,550
Oct 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #28,590 of 65,550
Sometimes I even have "super senior" moments  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back