Grado Fan Club!
Apr 16, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #24,241 of 65,548
RS2e below 9k now... seems like the time to buy!!!  
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00L1O64X6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #24,243 of 65,548
Originally Posted by stacker45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

these just may be the ones i keep for a while  

th

Define, a while
tongue.gif

I'm kidding of course. I'm in no position to talk, in fact, today I have bought the same color of purse, to go with my new, old shoes, or if you prefer, I pulled the triger on a new RA-1, to match my new old RS-1.

I'm at such an advance stage of the desiese, that I even asked my salesman to call the Grado rep, and ask her to bring the darkest colored, battery powered RA-1 that she could get her hands on, hoping that it will match my very dark RS1. Now, if that's not crazy, I don't know what is.
biggrin.gif

Congrats Stacker.....hope you get one that matches your cans well.  
smile.gif

No, I do not own a WA6
I am still waiting for my custom OTL from Glenn....but I have been purchasing some tubes while I wait, so I will have plenty of tube rolling options from the word go.
I am correct in thinking those are National union 6FG8 ?
Yeah, Glenn will be sending me an adapter with my amp.
Looking forward to your impressions with this set up

Yes, I realized a little while after my post that your waiting on a Glenn OTL amp, thats why you ordered the 6F8G's.
Yes, the tubes are NU-6F8G.
My initial impression are these tubes sound very nice without burn-in…but as of now, they are the only tubes I ever put in the WA6 which have a slight hum through the HP's, but I'm sure this will go away, I hope.
I can't wait until you get your amp

I thought I saw the yellow paint on top of the tubes, made me think they were National Union tubes.

I am interested in knowing how they sound in your amp.....sometimes it can take a lot of hours for them to settle down, don't give up on them about the hum.

I bought some Tung Sol 6F8G....coming from Italy....so it may take awhile for them to arrive.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #24,244 of 65,548
  I thought I saw the yellow paint on top of the tubes, made me think they were National Union tubes.
I am interested in knowing how they sound in your amp.....sometimes it can take a lot of hours for them to settle down, don't give up on them about the hum.
I bought some Tung Sol 6F8G....coming from Italy....so it may take awhile for them to arrive.

Yes, you did see the paint on the top of the tubes.
I know they need to settle, but I'm still a bit concerned about the hum because I received the tubes 3/24 and just received the adapters yesterday, so if there is an issue, I don't want Tubemaze to think I've been using them all this time, and I don't know their return policy. I'll hear if it gets any better over the next couple of nights (which it should) but in the meantime I did let Tubemaze know, but they haven't replied as of yet.
So far right out of the box they sounded very good in the WA6 so I can't imagine how their going to sound after sufficient burn-in. Nice upper extension/bass slam and depth/detail so far. I'll keep you posted. I'd also like to hear you impressions on the Tung Sol's when you get everything.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #24,245 of 65,548

Whoa!, Joan Jett, I saw him dancin there by the record machine, I knew he must've been about seventeen,,,La La La...

Man, this brings me back, I was about fifteen years old, listening to her on my boombox, in the park, with my friends, those were good time!.  

When I was in high school-around '82 or '83 I remember seeing Joan Jett with Cheap Trick. Whew. That goes back.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #24,246 of 65,548
I just picked up the 325e! What case would be best? I found the following based on a previous recommendation and best sellers on Amazon.com.

Grado SKU: 4E-CASEBK $40
http://www.4ourears.net/hard_shell_headphone_case_p/4e-casebk.htm

EarZonk Deluxe Leatherette Travel Case for Grado Headphones $20
http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Deluxe-Leatherette-Travel-Headphones/dp/B00OM1R9X4/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=18KACXVG2WV5AR04Y3VF

Geekria Hard carry case $18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCF8D0C?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Thanks for the recommendation @JoeDoe.

Anyone else have any experiences or comments with the case options listed (or others)?

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #24,247 of 65,548

My RA1 is battery powered, and indeed if you look long and hard you can find some posts on the forum that say the battery powered one is quieter than the AC model.  I got some rechargeable 9V batteries and a recharger, so I have one pair in the amp and one charged to replace.

Just remember... if your sound quality degrades, change your batteries.  You do NOT get a warning by the amp light getting dimmer.

I would've thought that the first warning sing that the batterys were getting weaker, was that the volume got quieter, before the sound actually degraded.

I might give rechargeable batterys a try, as long as they last a few hours, I'm ok with that.

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #24,248 of 65,548

I would've thought that the first warning sing that the batterys were getting weaker, was that the volume got quieter, before the sound actually degraded.

I might give rechargeable batterys a try, as long as they last a few hours, I'm ok with that.

No, volume does not get softer as batteries die.  I think what happens is that the batteries no longer have the power to play the loudest passages at peak volume, and instead clip the waveform peaks off at a lower level based on what the power in the batteries can deliver.  This puts a flat top on the waveform, which in turn introduces higher harmonics (as all square waves do), which in turn distorts what you hear.

If you ever played basement electric guitar, you could make a "fuzz box" by passing the guitar signal through a diode, which would cut out all of the negative side of the waveform and replace it with flat. That too puts in high harmonics that come out like fuzz-based distortion.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #24,250 of 65,548

When I was in high school-around '82 or '83 I remember seeing Joan Jett with Cheap Trick. Whew. That goes back.

Cheap Trick!, my favorite songs were Dream Police, and I Want You To Want Me, great times, and not a care in the world.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #24,251 of 65,548

Cheap Trick!, my favorite songs were Dream Police, and I Want You To Want Me, great times, and not a care in the world.

Listen to their very first album, just called Cheap Trick, it is wonderful

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #24,252 of 65,548

No, volume does not get softer as batteries die.  I think what happens is that the batteries no longer have the power to play the loudest passages at peak volume, and instead clip the waveform peaks off at a lower level based on what the power in the batteries can deliver.  This puts a flat top on the waveform, which in turn introduces higher harmonics (as all square waves do), which in turn distorts what you hear.

If you ever played basement electric guitar, you could make a "fuzz box" by passing the guitar signal through a diode, which would cut out all of the negative side of the waveform and replace it with flat. That too puts in high harmonics that come out like fuzz-based distortion.

That's good to know, thanks.
beerchug.gif

Listen to their very first album, just called Cheap Trick, it is wonderful

I have it on vinyl.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #24,254 of 65,548
It's not about the video, the background music is just awesome.., perfect recording.., test it with your grado :)

Yep... just perfect from my iPad to my CMOYBB 2.03 to my Grado 325es!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back