Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #23,401 of 65,548

I am not surprised that you pulled through, I have always known that the force is strong with you, young Grado Jedi
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol, i USED feel young, 
the brain thinks i'm still young, the body has other ideas ! 

Unfortunately, I fall into the same category.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #23,402 of 65,548
  Funny you mentioned this…I watched Pulpl Fiction about a month ago, and when that scene came on, I immediately thought of you having a RTR!

So it was the PS1K's revealing what was in that particular recordings quality, but now on the Cd theres no more distortion…so I would have to think the PS's are more revealing then, no?                           

This information is completely useless but the one of the owners of Bottlehead has a heavily modified open reel tape machine he absolutely loves. I have not heard it myself but some who have say it has some of the best audio they have ever heard.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #23,404 of 65,548
  This information is completely useless but the one of the owners of Bottlehead has a heavily modified open reel tape machine he absolutely loves. I have not heard it myself but some who have say it has some of the best audio they have ever heard.

I've also never heard a RTR, but wouldn't mind hearing one…its got to be a good 20+ years since I heard a cassette tape, and 30+ years since I heard vinyl.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #23,406 of 65,548
Two technical questions:

1. What is the real world advantage of driving Grados with an amp that can do more than 1W at 32 ohms? For example, there are amps out there that can do 2-4W at 32 ohms

2. Why do Grado's "defeat" the impedance 1:8 ratio rule? For example, most tube amps designed for low impedance headphones have a real world output impedance greater than 10 ohms. I understand how impedance impacts frequency response but why do we never make a big deal about that when it comes to Grado?

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #23,407 of 65,548
  Two technical questions:

1. What is the real world advantage of driving Grados with an amp that can do more than 1W at 32 ohms? For example, there are amps out there that can do 2-4W at 32 ohms

2. Why do Grado's "defeat" the impedance 1:8 ratio rule? For example, most tube amps designed for low impedance headphones have a real world output impedance greater than 10 ohms. I understand how impedance impacts frequency response but why do we never make a big deal about that when it comes to Grado?

1)  People like to debate this, as though its even debate-able in the real world.  IF you could find 2-3 different amp circuits that ONLY differed in wattage capacity, you could at that point establish a common ground by which you could discuss.  It would NOT be a general debate though, it would ONLY pertain to those 2-3 amps that measure identically aside from wattage.  In the real world no two amps measure EXACTLY the same in every aspect (AFIAK).  Throw out manufacturer data sheets, thats all unregulated, un-standardized marketing pitch.  I don't think that can be used as a foundation for technical discussion.  So I question if its even possible to discuss it in the real world.

2) See the cans and amps in my profile.  I just plug them in.  If they sound good then they are good.  I never found it something worth making a big deal over.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #23,408 of 65,548
  1)  People like to debate this, as though its even debate-able in the real world.  IF you could find 2-3 different amp circuits that ONLY differed in wattage capacity, you could at that point establish a common ground by which you could discuss.  In the real world no two amps measure EXACTLY the same in every aspect (AFIAK).  Throw out manufacturer data sheets, thats all unregulated, un-standardized marketing pitch.  I don't think that can be used as a foundation for technical discussion.  So I question if its even possible to discuss it in the real world.

2) See the cans and amps in my profile.  I just plug them in.  If they sound good then they are good.  I never found it something worth making a big deal over.

words to live by !

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #23,409 of 65,548
southern snow falling, pot of chili on the stove, the rs1i, and the brothers, yeah, life's good right now

derek and the red sg, susan's voice, and a killer song, !

face melter !

@whirlwind, i know how you feel about joe b, but i'll take derek anyday !

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #23,411 of 65,548
  southern snow falling, pot of chili on the stove, the rs1i, and the brothers, yeah, life's good right now

It is my RS-1i's, along with my Grado RA-1 amp, that I take out onto my snowy patio, crawl under my electric blanket on the lawn chair, and listen!!!  Something about the snow + the wood!  Often listen to snowy music, such as George Winston's "December" album, or Iceland's Bjork, or Alaska's Jewel.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #23,412 of 65,548
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #23,413 of 65,548
  It is my RS-1i's, along with my Grado RA-1 amp, that I take out onto my snowy patio, crawl under my electric blanket on the lawn chair, and listen!!!  Something about the snow + the wood!  Often listen to snowy music, such as George Winston's "December" album, or Iceland's Bjork, or Alaska's Jewel.

th

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #23,414 of 65,548
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #23,415 of 65,548

th

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back