Grado Fan Club!
Jan 21, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #22,381 of 65,471
  Hey guys!
I just received used grado sr80i's and I hear static when I plug them in. What can I do with that? Also the left cable is twisted.

Are you using a 1/8>1/4 adapter?
Did you try another headphone/output and hear the same thing?
As far as the left cable being twisted…just remove the driver/cup from the gimbal by spreading the gimbal gently apart and driver/cup will come out (the driver/cup has 2 holes in it and is held in by 2 pins on each side of the gimbals directly across from each other) untwist it and put it back into the gimbal. Enjoy your 80i's…great HP's.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #22,382 of 65,471
Hello, I have some Grado SR80e's and while they are still very new (I expect them to sound better after the first 40-50 hours or so) I am quite disappointed in how they sound since a bunch of commercial line Phillips headphones almost sound better than them. (not really since they're colored differently but it's too close of a call)

I've heard Grados before and I don't think they're supposed to sound this bad.

I'm listening on a laptop with one of those little USB stick amps(from SoundBlaster). For comparison the default laptop onboard is almost unbearable with any type of headphones. The signal that I get from that USB is ok enough (tested with several headphones: Sennheiser, Sony etc and it drives good enough that you can enjoy the headphones).

The problem is that the Grado's sound very thin with it, there's no meat to the mids (yes I don't mean the bass which is actually noticeable, which I'm guessing is one of the things they've been working on with these newer series since I remember it not being as such in the past). But the guitars are messy on rock/metal songs which is not normal. The soundstage is wider than anything I have right now, as I was expecting.

Any thoughts on this? Problems with my USB ports, the stick? or something else?
Additionally, do any of you know any entry level amps that I could buy to get the most out of the Grado SR80e's?

Thanks for any kind of suggestions.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #22,383 of 65,471

As far as the left cable being twisted…just remove the driver/cup from the gimbal by spreading the gimbal gently apart and driver/cup will come out (the driver/cup has 2 holes in it and is held in by 2 pins on each side of the gimbals directly across from each other) untwist it and put it back into the gimbal. Enjoy your 80i's…great HP's.

The gimbals don't have to be removed.

What you can also do is hang the headphones from the Y-split in the cable and remove the headband (twist off the black nubs and remove the headband), and the weight of the cups will straighten the cable. Make sure, though, to mark the right cup so you won't invert the cups when reassembling the headphone.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #22,384 of 65,471

Moving the headphones from the front headphone jack to the motherboard one worked. Thanks a lot! I also fixed the twisted cable. I'm loving these cans so far :D I'm planning on modding them tho.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #22,385 of 65,471
  Hello, I have some Grado SR80e's and while they are still very new (I expect them to sound better after the first 40-50 hours or so) I am quite disappointed in how they sound since a bunch of commercial line Phillips headphones almost sound better than them. (not really since they're colored differently but it's too close of a call)

I'm listening on a laptop with one of those little USB stick amps(from SoundBlaster). For comparison the default laptop onboard is almost unbearable with any type of headphones. The signal that I get from that USB is ok enough (tested with several headphones: Sennheiser, Sony etc and it drives good enough that you can enjoy the headphones).

The problem is that the Grado's sound very thin with it, there's no meat to the mids (yes I don't mean the bass which is actually noticeable, which I'm guessing is one of the things they've been working on with these newer series since I remember it not being as such in the past). But the guitars are messy on rock/metal songs which is not normal. The soundstage is wider than anything I have right now, as I was expecting.

Additionally, do any of you know any entry level amps that I could buy to get the most out of the Grado SR80e's?

First of all, make sure, if you use the adapter, that it's properly seated. Take the headphones and plug them unamplified in an ipad or ipod, or put the adapter on and stick them in a stereo.

Check the amp. If it's battery operated, the batteries might be running low, and some amps distort the sound when they don't have enough juice.

Connect the 80 to a CD player on repeat and leave them overnight with music playing at slightly below regular volume. If the sound does not improve, go back to the store and ask to compare your 80 with another one.

Some people have complained about the lack of consistency in Grado quality control. So, you might have a dud. The driver might be damaged or faulty. After you checked out if the equipment you use is in perfect working order, return the headphones to the store.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #22,386 of 65,471

Grado's have bass quality not quantity.
Schiit Magni-2 (amp)/Modi-2 (DAC) $200.00…can't go wrong, unless theres something wrong with your HP's?
Did you plug them into anything else and listen to them?

The gimbals don't have to be removed.

What you can also do is hang the headphones from the Y-split in the cable and remove the headband (twist off the black nubs and remove the headband), and the weight of the cups will straighten the cable. Make sure, though, to mark the right cup so you won't invert the cups when reassembling the headphone.

Same difference…I find it easier to spread the plastic gimbals and remove the cups. 
smile.gif

Moving the headphones from the front headphone jack to the motherboard one worked. Thanks a lot! I also fixed the twisted cable. I'm loving these cans so far :D I'm planning on modding them tho.

Great!
Your welcome.
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #22,387 of 65,471

First of all, make sure, if you use the adapter, that it's properly seated. Take the headphones and plug them unamplified in an ipad or ipod, or put the adapter on and stick them in a stereo.

Check the amp. If it's battery operated, the batteries might be running low, and some amps distort the sound when they don't have enough juice.

Connect the 80 to a CD player on repeat and leave them overnight with music playing at slightly below regular volume. If the sound does not improve, go back to the store and ask to compare your 80 with another one.

Some people have complained about the lack of consistency in Grado quality control. So, you might have a dud. The driver might be damaged or faulty. After you checked out if the equipment you use is in perfect working order, return the headphones to the store.

I'm all for burn-in and I have noticed the difference actually for some pairs in the past but at this point I really doubt that this mess of cymbals and mushy guitars on metal songs is normal. Could it be the pads? One of them has a little and hardly noticeable bump.

It's funny that when I change on the default laptop onboard the sound is a bit better balanced (there's less space to it so that might be the reason why). Also the headphones seem to hide some of the hissing that you'd get when you use that port with other headphones. (the actual reason it's unbearable to use with anything else).
So the thing is, on songs that have no "cymbal abuse" and distorted guitars, so electronic songs and hip hop stuff in this case, the sound is very very decent. Super balanced and laid back in comparison and quite pleasant to listen to.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #22,390 of 65,471
Hello guys!

i bought gr8 few days ago.i use them on android phone htc one m8. so, i need portable amp advice for my headphones. perhaps i will get fiio amp. so what should i buy for gr8 ? thank you!

You don't need one for Grados... I used to have the the HTC One (M7) and I've heard the (M8). Best smart phone for music made - period. Download PowerAmp, load up some tracks and enjoy!

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #22,391 of 65,471

loved mother's finest back in high school !

anybody know a slackjaw jezebel ??

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #22,393 of 65,471
Jan 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #22,394 of 65,471
Jan 21, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #22,395 of 65,471

Users who are viewing this thread

Back