Grado Fan Club!
Oct 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #19,291 of 65,481

Well after going back and forth between the HE-560 and the GS1000e, the clear winner for me & my amp/dac & ears is the GS1000e.  Although the GS don’t do everything perfectly (not sure any headphone does) it comes awfully close.  The highs are airy, smooth & extended.  The all important mids are “just right” for me.  Not too forward, not too laid back, very enjoyable.  Vocals, strings, horns, snare drum, tom-toms, guitar sound “right”.  Instrument timbre is as close to perfect as I’ve heard.  As Swspiers pointed out in his review of the new e GS, listening at moderate listing levels offers a nearly perfect level of detail and perspective into the music.  Bass is ripe, taught & extended.  The GS will not go down to sub-woofer levels but is very satisfying and punchy and in no way light with my Vortuge Pure II. Sound stage is more expansive & immersive than any headphone I’ve heard to date (including the PS-1000e). The ultimate headphone demonstration disc completely illustrates this. To hear the level of detail and clarity on other headphones I compared I need to boast the volume by 30% or so.

I’m returning the HE-560 but would like to hear the PS-1000i as a comparison.  I could possibly justify both if I like the PS on at least 30% of my recording and for the right price.  

darthsmile.gif

May I ask if you find the GS1000e has less overall (including bass) less distortion comparing to the HE-560? How do you find the GS1000e handle complex (i.e. many instrument playing together) music?

I recently acquired a SR325e for office listening. I like the SR325e and is now seriously considering to get a GS1000e for home listening. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #19,292 of 65,481

May I ask if you find the GS1000e has less overall (including bass) less distortion comparing to the HE-560? How do you find the GS1000e handle complex (i.e. many instrument playing together) music?

I recently acquired a SR325e for office listening. I like the SR325e and is now seriously considering to get a GS1000e for home listening. Thanks!

I haven't noticed distortion on either headphone. I use a high end portable amp and the RWAK120-S.  Instruments sound cleaner and more in focus with the GS because the mids are more neutral and have an airiness to them.  The mids sound darker and slightly ressesed on the HE-560, less focus. 

As far as complex musical passages go, this where the GS easily out shines the HE.  With orchestral music its particularly noticeable. Night & day difference. You hear individual instruments and even where they are!  With the HE complex passages were fuzzy/blurrier because of the slightly recessed mids and the dominance of the bass.  I wouldn't say the HE bass is overblown but with complex passages with lots going on the some of the nuance and dynamics of the music is lost. It's like all songs start to sound the same, not so musical.

The GS is musical above all, give it a try.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #19,293 of 65,481
  Well, I know loads of people like the sub-bass that planars do, but I think that might be the quality that I don't like the most. They are also a very dark sounding quality that I can't put my finger on. Since I have gotten my PS1000 nothing seems to come close
biggrin.gif
  I know before I used to be always looking to the next headphone or what could sound better than this, but these phones never fail to impress me every single time I put them on. I'm really glad I didn't sell them off like I was planning....Sorry Jay
wink.gif
They do everything so incredibly well.
I have, but just for a moment.So I can't really comment...I did listen to the 560's quite a bit and liked them, the comfort was fantastic and I really remember liking the sound. It was a very lush sounding headphone. I think they were just too laid back for me. I just love the immediacy of the Grado
gs1000.gif
, it is just so easy to get lost in the music when listening to my Grado's

Agree!  

Immediacy lost blownway

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #19,294 of 65,481
  Can't wait myself. I will be receiving them tomorrow. 
Where are you located that there is a delay?

Canada; none of the headphone stores here received them yet (they have the HE-560 though). And that's awesome man, enjoy your new toys tomorrow
gs1000.gif

Agree!  

Immediacy lost blownway

Indeed! I've tried so many other good cans but the Grado sound sig just keeps me from jumping the gun everytime lol

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #19,300 of 65,481
Oct 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #19,301 of 65,481
To help with the interest in comparing the Grado to the HiFiMAN, here is my three-way comparison of the Grado PS500, the HiFiMAN HE500, and the Shure SE535 IEM:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722423/the-500s-side-by-side-testing-the-hifiman-he-500-grado-ps500-and-shure-se535-comparatively#post_10620725

In short, for the 10 tests I used, the HiFiMAN HE500 was within one point of the Grado PS500, and both were surpassed by the SE535.  Of course, the 10 criteria are things important to me... your findings will vary.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #19,302 of 65,481
I received the HE-400i's this afternoon.
Right now my very first (immediate) impressions listening to Chris Cornells "Seasons" with my M/M combo just too check them out before relaxing with them later, they do pretty much sound like a Grado (right out of the box) as swpiers had said... right from the very first pluck of the guitar. Later I'm going to run them through the Lyr and have a real good listen. After burn-in I'll report back with my thoughts. 
Three things I immediately do not like is the clamping force on my jaw muscles and the fact they don't stay open when you take them off your head…and all that fancy packaging!

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #19,305 of 65,481
  I received the HE-400i's this afternoon.
Right now my very first (immediate) impressions listening to Chris Cornells "Seasons" with my M/M combo just too check them out before relaxing with them later, they do pretty much sound like a Grado (right out of the box) as swpiers had said... right from the very first pluck of the guitar. Later I'm going to run them through the Lyr and have a real good listen. After burn-in I'll report back with my thoughts. 
Three things I immediately do not like is the clamping force on my jaw muscles and the fact they don't stay open when you take them off your head…and all that fancy packaging!

Could not agree more. Will be running them balanced later tonight

Did you just get your too?

the changing of the seasons applies to headphones too, my lcd2f's will be here tomorrow, my t1's are off to brian (BTG-audio) to get mini xlr's installed into the cups, 

looking forward to you guys thoughts on your planars !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back