Grado Fan Club!
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #19,276 of 65,534
  I’m torn between the Hifiman HE560 or the Grado GS1000e (a know it's rough). Here is my comparison between the two (helps me organize my thoughts).  Feel free to chime if you have anything to add or feel the same as I do.  I’m going to decide on which one over the weekend.  I just downloaded the “ultimate headphone demonstration disc” from HDTracks. It should be fun to compare the two.

HE-560

Positives:

A more “fun” sound signature. A headphone that aims to please the masses.

Very musically engaging headphone

Better for metal, classic rock because of the bass quantity & extension and the slightly forward of neutral mid-range.

Negatives:

After awhile music seems to all mix together, less separation and isolation of pure musical tones

Bass can at times sound less “special” because it’s everywhere (in just about every song)

Bass can have a wooliness quality to the sound and less textured

Treble can sound a little thin at times

Sound stage is good, not great.  Missing height and some width

Seriously dorky looking :)

GS-1000e

Positives:

Vocals, piano, brass instruments sound more true to life. Superior timbre in all but lowest bass and bass drum

Acoustic instruments sound full of life. Soft passages instruments remain in focus and don’t get lost in the scuffle.

Greater dynamics (no so with rock).

The less of neutral (or neutral, hard to say) mid-range brings out a airiness-lightness of sound and sweetness in the treble.  I think it’s a little less than neutral but who knows.

Superlative sound stage

Negatives:

On some recorded bass music drums & electric bass don’t quite have the “umph” factor (but very close)

Kicks-xss with rock but not totally

Takes a little more listening “effort” to fully appreciate

Well after going back and forth between the HE-560 and the GS1000e, the clear winner for me & my amp/dac & ears is the GS1000e.  Although the GS don’t do everything perfectly (not sure any headphone does) it comes awfully close.  The highs are airy, smooth & extended.  The all important mids are “just right” for me.  Not too forward, not too laid back, very enjoyable.  Vocals, strings, horns, snare drum, tom-toms, guitar sound “right”.  Instrument timbre is as close to perfect as I’ve heard.  As Swspiers pointed out in his review of the new e GS, listening at moderate listing levels offers a nearly perfect level of detail and perspective into the music.  Bass is ripe, taught & extended.  The GS will not go down to sub-woofer levels but is very satisfying and punchy and in no way light with my Vortuge Pure II. Sound stage is more expansive & immersive than any headphone I’ve heard to date (including the PS-1000e). The ultimate headphone demonstration disc completely illustrates this. To hear the level of detail and clarity on other headphones I compared I need to boast the volume by 30% or so.

I’m returning the HE-560 but would like to hear the PS-1000i as a comparison.  I could possibly justify both if I like the PS on at least 30% of my recording and for the right price.  

darthsmile.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #19,277 of 65,534
  I only have Grados to compare them with, so for the most part I'm just venturing out to hear a planar.

What sounds a little off to you? This is not the first time I've heard someone say this.
I want to find out if I'm a planar guy or not myself, so I'll be listening to them exclusively.
Good to know that its the only one you would consider getting…hope I like them.

Well, I know loads of people like the sub-bass that planars do, but I think that might be the quality that I don't like the most. They are also a very dark sounding quality that I can't put my finger on. Since I have gotten my PS1000 nothing seems to come close
biggrin.gif
  I know before I used to be always looking to the next headphone or what could sound better than this, but these phones never fail to impress me every single time I put them on. I'm really glad I didn't sell them off like I was planning....Sorry Jay
wink.gif
They do everything so incredibly well.
Thank you sir. Anxious to hear how they compare. Have you heard the 500s?

I have, but just for a moment.So I can't really comment...I did listen to the 560's quite a bit and liked them, the comfort was fantastic and I really remember liking the sound. It was a very lush sounding headphone. I think they were just too laid back for me. I just love the immediacy of the Grado
gs1000.gif
, it is just so easy to get lost in the music when listening to my Grado's.

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #19,278 of 65,534

For want of a better word, I would call it the texture of the sound.  I'm not as comfortable with the texture of planar magnetics or electrostatics.  The dynamic texture is what appeals to me.  YMMV, etc.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #19,279 of 65,534

Well after going back and forth between the HE-560 and the GS1000e, the clear winner for me & my amp/dac & ears is the GS1000e.  Although the GS don’t do everything perfectly (not sure any headphone does) it comes awfully close.  The highs are airy, smooth & extended.  The all important mids are “just right” for me.  Not too forward, not too laid back, very enjoyable.  Vocals, strings, horns, snare drum, tom-toms, guitar sound “right”.  Instrument timbre is as close to perfect as I’ve heard.  As Swspiers pointed out in his review of the new e GS, listening at moderate listing levels offers a nearly perfect level of detail and perspective into the music.  Bass is ripe, taught & extended.  The GS will not go down to sub-woofer levels but is very satisfying and punchy and in no way light with my Vortuge Pure II. Sound stage is more expansive & immersive than any headphone I’ve heard to date (including the PS-1000e). The ultimate headphone demonstration disc completely illustrates this. To hear the level of detail and clarity on other headphones I compared I need to boast the volume by 30% or so.

I’m returning the HE-560 but would like to hear the PS-1000i as a comparison.  I could possibly justify both if I like the PS on at least 30% of my recording and for the right price.  

darthsmile.gif

Congratulations on the GS1Ke's!
I'm pretty sure the PS1K's will be fine for much more than 30% of your recordings…check them out when you get the chance.
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #19,280 of 65,534
  Well, I know loads of people like the sub-bass that planars do, but I think that might be the quality that I don't like the most. They are also a very dark sounding quality that I can't put my finger on. Since I have gotten my PS1000 nothing seems to come close
biggrin.gif
  I know before I used to be always looking to the next headphone or what could sound better than this, but these phones never fail to impress me every single time I put them on. I'm really glad I didn't sell them off like I was planning....Sorry Jay
wink.gif
I have, but just for a moment.So I can't really comment...I did listen to the 560's quite a bit and liked them, the comfort was fantastic and I really remember liking the sound. It was a very lush sounding headphone. I think they were just too laid back for me. I just love the immediacy of the Grado
gs1000.gif

no worries fred, i got a pair of ps1000's !! 

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #19,281 of 65,534
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
gs1000.gif

I'm also not really one for sub bass/dark sounding headphones…but I figured I'd give them a try after reading swpiers post.
So if their not for me it's swpiers flat!!! 
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

And yes, the more I listen too the PS1K's, the more and more I'm realizing how great they really are, plus the tubes burning-in on the Lyr I find the combo is becoming very hard not to listen too. I also posted the other day that if I had to choose 1 Grado it would be the RS1i…but maybe I shouldn't have said that?

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #19,282 of 65,534
planars definitely have a different type SQ than dynamics , especially grado's.
it took my ears weeks to adjust, and even then, i still preferred grado's in general.
that did change with the lcd x , its speed , snap, sweet extended treble is addictive.
now planars are starting to catch up i think is the prat dept. the 560, the more recent lcd 2's (pre fazor) 
much more improved in that area. i'm really looking forward to the lcd 2f. 

i do agree with blownaway in that i prefer the gs1000e to the 560. gs1000e is a super headphone

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #19,283 of 65,534
  planars definitely have a different type SQ than dynamics , especially grado's.
it took my ears weeks to adjust, and even then, i still preferred grado's in general.
that did change with the lcd x , its speed , snap, sweet extended treble is addictive.
now planars are starting to catch up i think is the prat dept. the 560, the more recent lcd 2's (pre fazor) 
much more improved in that area. i'm really looking forward to the lcd 2f. 

i do agree with blownaway in that i prefer the gs1000e to the 560. gs1000e is a super headphone

+1

I even prefer the RS1e to the HE0560 for most genres.  I put the RS1e at the same euphoric level of the LCD-2F. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #19,285 of 65,534

darthsmile.gif

I totally agree with the assessment of the GS1Ke's, although I went a different direction.  I would also take the 560 over the Grado's.  But I'm also thinking of saving up to join the Stax mafia....

I'm also not really one for sub bass/dark sounding headphones…but I figured I'd give them a try after reading swpiers post.
So if their not for me it's swpiers flat!!! 
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

And yes, the more I listen too the PS1K's, the more and more I'm realizing how great they really are, plus the tubes burning-in on the Lyr I find the combo is becoming very hard not to listen too. I also posted the other day that if I had to choose 1 Grado it would be the RS1i…but maybe I shouldn't have said that?

Yeah, I saw that one coming!  Actually, I can't wait to read whether other Grado fans find the 400i's as pleasing as I do.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #19,289 of 65,534
  I don't even know when we're getting them here, after a lot of delays they supposedly would've been here by Oct 1 but well y'know
tongue.gif

Considering the headphones you own, I'm really looking forward to your comparisons!

Can't wait myself. I will be receiving them tomorrow. 
Where are you located that there is a delay?

I totally agree with the assessment of the GS1Ke's, although I went a different direction.  I would also take the 560 over the Grado's.  But I'm also thinking of saving up to join the Stax mafia....

Yeah, I saw that one coming!  Actually, I can't wait to read whether other Grado fans find the 400i's as pleasing as I do.

Was only joking, but you did make me very curious when I read your post, and then when I saw them and I figured I'll give them a shot, plus its something other than a dynamic HP. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #19,290 of 65,534
Seems like Grado fans are giving Hifiman some love. At CAF, I thought the HE400i and 560 and the LCD-2 (fazor) were all pretty sweet. I'd say on the Hifiman front, that the 400i was more fun and the 560 more accurate and refined. If I just wanted something for rock/metal, the 400i is a great choice. But, with a RS1, that is already excellent in the rock/metal department, I was leaning to something that would be more of a contrast for other genres-electronic, pop, jazz, classical. Who the hell knows. I would need more listening time, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back