Grado Fan Club!
Jan 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #11,686 of 65,481

I thought that was the case, just not sure.

You use any other cans but Grado's thru the woo ?

It is a great looking amp.

Thank you, and no I only own Grados. But in the past I've owned some Koss headphones, Bose, and Sony, but I wasn't into headphones at that time (25+years ago), I was into speaker systems, but due to my recent blindness/living space I turned to headphones and I'm so glad that I did because even though back in the day I had a very nice system, what I hear out of my headphone rigs probably would have cost $20,000+ to hear what I'm hearing from my headphone set up. I'm very impressed with headphones, I never knew what I was missing, and I was missing a lot!

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #11,687 of 65,481
  Thank you, and no I only own Grados. But in the past I've owned some Koss headphones, Bose, and Sony, but I wasn't into headphones at that time (25+years ago), I was into speaker systems, but due to my recent blindness/living space I turned to headphones and I'm so glad that I did because even though back in the day I had a very nice system, what I hear out of my headphone rigs probably would have cost $20,000+ to hear what I'm hearing from my headphone set up. I'm very impressed with headphones, I never knew what I was missing, and I was missing a lot!

+1

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #11,688 of 65,481
  The MS2i is a very powerful, full bodied, neutral, well balanced sounding headphone IMO!
I just preferred the 325is's, just a matter of taste, but I must say, one night I was listening to Audioslave with the MS2i's, at a pretty high volume (which is not normal for me), and I was left speechless after about 2hrs of listening, and not to mention def, and I can still recall that experience sharply in my mind, I'll never forget it.

You're speaking about the MS2i's as something that leaves you speechless and that you'll never forget the experience... Damn, you're making me impatient waiting for my MS Pros lol! For a week or two I have to bear some 15€ Koss earbuds. Nothing against Koss, but really, for 15€ you can't get good sound quality. Don't have anything else laying around either as I already sold my SR325is. They were great headphones as well, I just wanted something even better 
smile.gif

e: The first song that I'm going to listen to with my new gear will be User-Maat-Re by Nile. Has an awesome acoustic intro and after that the drums and electric guitars/bass kick in. Any death/ or just metal head in general should check it out! .FLAC of course.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #11,689 of 65,481

You and I both-listening to Bob Dylan's loose and wild 1975 Rolling Thunder Review Bootleg Vol. 5. Sabbath and Dylan-definitely Grado friendly music.

Don't feel bad about not ponying up to the big leagues. If you want to get there you will. I'm in the same boat. It's all about priorities.

Personally, I'm saving and throwing money at my speaker system as most of my listening is thru speakers. I'll be upgrading shelf speakers and maybe getting a nicer CDP before spending comparable $ at more expensive cans and amps.

For the moment I'm good with my 225i and Asgard 2-$450 very well spent.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my hi fi. As long as you've got a way to listen to your music. It sure as hell beats stock Ipod ear buds!

I love the sentiment, and I agree about priorities.

I'm pretty sure I've ponied up to the big leagues, or at least AAA
tongue_smile.gif

Guess I should update my signature...

gentleman, i give you the big leagues !!         http://www.head-fi.org/t/701983/cavalli-audio-liquid-gold-with-abyss-ab-1266-head-fi-tv

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #11,690 of 65,481
  Well semicoln, it's been 7 years now since I have joined the dark side (Grado), and in that time, I have had the chance to hear pretty much every Grado models, and even though I'm lucky enough to own what I consider to be desireable Grados, my SR80i still manage to amaze me, everytime I put them on.And even though I prefer the sound of my other Grados, when you factor in the SR80's low  price, and the fact they can sound good out of just about anything, including a canary's butt, it's easy to see why they're so popular.

As I've said before, If I'm ever foced to sell my other Grados, I could be very happy with my SR80i as my only pair of headphones.

Oh!, by the way, I have the L-cush on my SR80i.

I cant help but ask, how did you plug your headphones into a canary's butt and what did you hear? I have to think the canary wasn't very pleased in any event.Now I just can not get that picture out of my mind, thank you very much :)

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #11,691 of 65,481
  Well semicoln, it's been 7 years now since I have joined the dark side (Grado), and in that time, I have had the chance to hear pretty much every Grado models, and even though I'm lucky enough to own what I consider to be desireable Grados, my SR80i still manage to amaze me, everytime I put them on.And even though I prefer the sound of my other Grados, when you factor in the SR80's low  price, and the fact they can sound good out of just about anything, including a canary's butt, it's easy to see why they're so popular.

As I've said before, If I'm ever foced to sell my other Grados, I could be very happy with my SR80i as my only pair of headphones.

Oh!, by the way, I have the L-cush on my SR80i.

Good post!  IMHO, Grado made a mistake by changing the SR80's to flat pads.  They used to always come with bowls.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #11,692 of 65,481

I cant help but ask, how did you plug your headphones into a canary's butt and what did you hear? I have to think the canary wasn't very pleased in any event.Now I just can not get that picture out of my mind, thank you very much :)

I am sure the canary appreciated the fact that the SR80 come with a 1/8th as opposed to a 1/4 inch jack.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #11,695 of 65,481
Good post!  IMHO, Grado made a mistake by changing the SR80's to flat pads.  They used to always come with bowls.

My theory is that this was a business decision to better differentiate the more consumer-orientated 60/80/125 models from the mid (225/325) and high end (RS1/2 etc.) models.

The pads make the sound a bit bassier, but also handily degrade the sound quality a bit, making the step up to the higher-end models seem more instantly obvious than it might be if the 80/125 still came with bowl pads... Not criticising Grado here, I think it was a good decision, in terms of business model.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #11,696 of 65,481
  You're speaking about the MS2i's as something that leaves you speechless and that you'll never forget the experience... Damn, you're making me impatient waiting for my MS Pros lol! For a week or two I have to bear some 15€ Koss earbuds. Nothing against Koss, but really, for 15€ you can't get good sound quality. Don't have anything else laying around either as I already sold my SR325is. They were great headphones as well, I just wanted something even better 
smile.gif

e: The first song that I'm going to listen to with my new gear will be User-Maat-Re by Nile. Has an awesome acoustic intro and after that the drums and electric guitars/bass kick in. Any death/ or just metal head in general should check it out! .FLAC of course.

I also own the RS1i's, and love their sound. I've never heard the MS Pro, but I'm sure you are going to love them.
To me between the 325is/MS2i there is a noticeable sound difference, so I would assume there is a noticeable difference between the RS1i/MS Pro. From what I've read the MS Pro is a bit more tamed in the highs and maybe a bit darker sounding than the RS1i's. Noticing this between the 325is/MS2i helped me decide to go with the RS1i's, being I prefer a bit brighter sound. In any event when your MS Pro's arrive, enjoy them!
BTW, sorry to get you all amped up over my comments on the MS2i's, have some patients your MS Pro's will be here soon.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #11,697 of 65,481
  I also own the RS1i's, and love their sound. I've never heard the MS Pro, but I'm sure you are going to love them.
To me between the 325is/MS2i there is a noticeable sound difference, so I would assume there is a noticeable difference between the RS1i/MS Pro. From what I've read the MS Pro is a bit more tamed in the highs and maybe a bit darker sounding than the RS1i's. Noticing this between the 325is/MS2i helped me decide to go with the RS1i's, being I prefer a bit brighter sound. In any event when your MS Pro's arrive, enjoy them!
BTW, sorry to get you all amped up over my comments on the MS2i's, have some patients your MS Pro's will be here soon.

hmmmm, a head to head, to head comparison 'twenn the rs1i, the ms pro, and the gs1000i, now that's going to be stuck in my mind for a while

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #11,698 of 65,481

hmmmm, a head to head, to head comparison 'twenn the rs1i, the ms pro, and the gs1000i, now that's going to be stuck in my mind for a while

Funny you just mentioned the GS1Ki, I just ordered them 2 minutes ago from Crutchfield, they'll be here by this Wednesday, + free shipping/no tax to N.Y.
Now I'm in the same boat as you LOL!!!

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #11,699 of 65,481
  Funny you just mentioned the GS1Ki, I just ordered them 2 minutes ago from Crutchfield, they'll be here by this Wednesday, + free shipping/no tax to N.Y.
Now I'm in the same boat as you LOL!!!

i've ordered a few things from crutchfield , 60 days return policy ? killer !

the same, cept for power, i keep looking at that damn woo site !

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #11,700 of 65,481

i've ordered a few things from crutchfield , 60 days return policy ? killer !

the same, cept for power, i keep looking at that damn woo site !

Jay, I was just going to PM you about this!
Thanks for the info on Crutchfield. The GS's that I chickened out on from eBay sold for $805.00 I'm so glad you filled me in on this because now I'll have a brand new pair for retail $995.00, as you've read, free shipping/no tax, plus if they don't suit me, I have the 60 day return policy and all I pay is shipping back to Crutchfiel for $10.00. I paid about $770.00 + gas/tolls to buy my RS1i's from B&H Photo, wish I would have used Crutchfield. But you know whats going to happen…there most probably going to live with me, I know you know how that goes LOL! Thanks again. Also I know as well as you know, if you keep looking at the Woo site, your going to break, sooner or later, probably sooner LOL!
How is the MAD?
Why are you considering the Woo, being you just got the MAD? Not that you don't need to have a reason to own both LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back