Grado Fan Club!
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #49,127 of 65,481
I just received my SR225x. I have to say, the soundstage on this one is amazing, and the detail and instrument separation is noticeably better than the SR80x. The subtle background tracks are more audible with the SR225x.

However, I found that the mid crunch I loved in the SR80x disappeared or had been toned down. Replacing it with the S-pads does not in any way reveal that crunchiness and crispiness, so most likely the drivers are different. I find that the stock F-pads sound best with these. I am still waiting for the L-cushion to arrive.

I hate to say this, but aside from the better technicalities than the SR80x, the SR225x seems to have lost its uniqueness. It sounds slightly similar to other headphones within the price range and below. It had become more of a headphone for the mass consumers. Nonetheless, I still love it. I kinda regret not pulling the trigger on the SR325x, but maybe next time or I'll move on with the other series.

I also today received a 2nd hand SR225x that is only 2 months old. I wanted to see of the new X-series drivers are better than the old e-series. If they have kept the Grado magic and improved. I have to say that my initial impression is disappointment the same way you describe. The bright, edgy and airy sound is gone. The micro details and crispness is gone. Hmmm...

51637688061_4a0f8aee61_b.jpg

Oct 29, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #49,129 of 65,481
Hmmm.. 225x was first on my list...
maybe I buy 225e again.
Give me some days and allow me to let them break properly in and I will share my longer term impressions. Sometimes the very first impression can be misleading and I just received them today...

Oct 29, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #49,130 of 65,481
Give me some days and allow me to let them break properly in and I will share my longer term impressions. Sometimes the very first impression can be misleading and I just received them today...
Bought Meze 99C for a year ago. Ripped them of after 10min. and returned them the day after

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #49,131 of 65,481
I also today received a 2nd hand SR225x that is only 2 months old. I wanted to see of the new X-series drivers are better than the old e-series. If they have kept the Grado magic and improved. I have to say that my initial impression is disappointment the same way you describe. The bright, edgy and airy sound is gone. The micro details and crispness is gone. Hmmm...

Your pic shows both models with their stock pads. Could you put the L pads on the SR225x and compare? The comparison is only really valid when the pads are the same on both headphones.

This has probably been discussed extensively at some point in this super long thread (and I believe I touched on it a while back), but I’m curious, is there a notable difference between the mid-end and high end Grados?

Yes. The 50mm drivers on the large cup models sound significantly different. Personally, I believe if you're not EQing, the 44mm drivers have a more agreeable and sparkly sound, but the 50mm drivers can dig deeper into the lower bass and sound better once the upper bass hump is EQed out. Keep in mind this is the opinion of someone who hated the Hemp with its stock F pad and only found it to resemble the classic Grado sound after switching to the Geekria L pad. But I still preferred the GH4 over the Hemp.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #49,132 of 65,481
I have NO intention of ever selling my GH2's!

I go through a lot of headphones and sell them on, if they don't suit me.
I have one particular pair of closed backs that are just not getting any interest at all. I was thinking about trading them for a pair of RS2e's. These retail for more and are just about brand new, so the other guy would be getting a great deal.
On my side, I was wondering if the RS2e's are worth adding to my collection? I really don't know anything about them. I looked at them for a minute three years ago and then just jumped up to the GH2's.
FWIW: I agree with the GH2 assessment. I once owned the RS2i and even if it doesn't compare equal to the RS2e (which I've never heard), I think you'd find more details with the RS2e than the GH2 (which has more bass). However, I wouldn't trade the GH2s for anything, but if the price of the RS2e's is reasonable, then buy them and let's hear your assessment:L3000:

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #49,133 of 65,481
Just in….a few hours break-in with Flux Lab FA-22 / Woo WA6…then 🦻🏼🦻🏼🦻🏼
3B142B32-3C81-4C08-81D8-E437ACCE7646.jpeg

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #49,136 of 65,481
Oct 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #49,137 of 65,481
Buy the new 60x and something other than Grado. you will not regret. grab : 800S/Arya/Clear/Diana V2 or something from beyerdynamic :wink: DT1770

I already have an original SR60 as well as a Hemp, which I understand is what the X series was based on. Is there any reason to get a 60X or any other X series Prestige?

the question is: where are you after? A high end Grado is more of the same Grado sound, so no suprise there. 800S/Arya/Clear/ Diana V2 are very different. Maybe you want something else soundwise? Go out and try the different headphones.

For me the answer is easy: I like openback, I like lightness, I dont want to buy a new amp for powerhungry headphones.

I suppose what I’m looking for is something that’s a technical monster (and sounds good doing it). I don’t have any real experience with TOTL (or near TOTL) headphones, so I’m curious to hear something with incredible detail and technical proficiency.

The thing is that I love Grado and the Grado sound, but from my understanding, they don’t really make super high end headphones. They make incredible stuff, particularly in the $400-$700 range, but I get the impression that their $2700 headphone doesn’t really play in the same space as other TOTL headphones, rather, it’s more like another flavor of their excellent $400-$700 headphones, just with nicer materials and an even more beautiful artisanal design. That‘s the impression I’ve gotten at least - that a PS2000e isn’t on the same level of technicals as the 800S/Arya/Clear/Diana.

If that’s the case, then I’m happy sticking with mid-tier Grados, and to scratch my high end itch, I’d go for one of the others listed.

That’s what I’m inquiring about. If I’m getting a kilobuck headphone, I want a technical monster, and from my understanding, I don’t believe Grado plays in that space.

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #49,138 of 65,481
a PS2000e isn’t on the same level of technicals as the 800S/Arya/Clear/Diana.
Do you want your headphones to match the harman curve and have the lowest distortion? If so the PS2000e are not for you.

If you want Grado sound with more detail and refinement then the PS2000e might be the best current production model. Other TOTL headphones might have better measurements and "technicalities" but they won't sound like Grados.

You need to decide what you want and what you like. I personally love my PS2000e and I haven't heard a headphone that sounds better to me.

Oct 29, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #49,139 of 65,481
I already have an original SR60 as well as a Hemp, which I understand is what the X series was based on. Is there any reason to get a 60X or any other X series Prestige?

I suppose what I’m looking for is something that’s a technical monster (and sounds good doing it). I don’t have any real experience with TOTL (or near TOTL) headphones, so I’m curious to hear something with incredible detail and technical proficiency.

The thing is that I love Grado and the Grado sound, but from my understanding, they don’t really make super high end headphones. They make incredible stuff, particularly in the $400-$700 range, but I get the impression that their $2700 headphone doesn’t really play in the same space as other TOTL headphones, rather, it’s more like another flavor of their excellent $400-$700 headphones, just with nicer materials and an even more beautiful artisanal design. That‘s the impression I’ve gotten at least - that a PS2000e isn’t on the same level of technicals as the 800S/Arya/Clear/Diana.

If that’s the case, then I’m happy sticking with mid-tier Grados, and to scratch my high end itch, I’d go for one of the others listed.

That’s what I’m inquiring about. If I’m getting a kilobuck headphone, I want a technical monster, and from my understanding, I don’t believe Grado plays in that space.
Everyone has a different personal audio path: in my case, “if I’m getting a kilobuck headphone, I want” one that genuinely communicates to me the drama and excitement in the music.

Oct 29, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #49,140 of 65,481
This has probably been discussed extensively at some point in this super long thread (and I believe I touched on it a while back), but I’m curious, is there a notable difference between the mid-end and high end Grados?
Yes, definitely.

Are these Professional and Statement series headphones real upgrades over the mid-level, or are they more like just different flavors for people who can afford to try different variations on the Grado design and sound?
Yes and yes.
They are upgrades, although personally I‘m not sure about the GS2000e, but they also vary in some of their features. There are some …effects appearing… when you switch from RS2e to RS1e, which not everyone likes. But starting from RS1e, there are more or less only improvements in several features.
comparing RS1e to GS1000e there is no change in sound color, slight changes in several features, even resolution and a noticeable one in soundstage.
And all this makes it also a variation, because it weights the sounding slightly different. Going then for the PS1000e it is instantly noticeable.

Right now, my leading candidates are the HD800S, the Arya, the Focal Clear, or maybe I’d stretch my budget and go for a Diana V2.
Sounds like you are on the quest for ‘the best‘ headphone.
There is no such thing. Even not the HE1. (Or Shangri-La)
Comparing several 1k+ - Headphones, I decided for the HD800S.
There was one feature, the others, Arya, Clear, T1 2nd,… couldn’t keep up with - the soundstage.
To be precise - with especially that feature no headphone can compete with the ring radiator.
The reason? It’s artificial. The instruments are wider separated, a church is now more than it’s 30 meters long, but of course still not a cathedral. It provides, no, performs the maximum soundstage, that still feels realistic. But it isn’t. Axel Grell did a Masterpiece. Even microdetails are ‘wider‘ separated.
Deceit? Fraud? No! You still hear a realistic room. Doesn’t matter if it’s a bar, studio, concert hall or stadium. And you can only find out the difference, if you hear the original room. Like a looking glass with a factor of 1.22 instead of 5. Maybe even a little less.
Since then I bought the T1. With a really fast amp (Questyle CMA…,Bakoon, Abacus Cuffino): Incredible control, especially with voices.
The Arya is still on my list. Compared to the other HifiMans it is a more lively, more warm headphone.
(Cause I ran into that misconception every now and than: Warmth is ‘fullbodied‘, more organic, some like to say ‘with soul‘ or analogue. Warmth is/are features over the full frequency range. THD is indeed affecting the warmth of a sound. Warmth has nothing to do with bassy. There really is a warm violin sound, even though it has only one (upper) bass string, the left one. The sum of terms specifying bass features are called ‘dark‘. Sorry for this digression to all who knew this.)
But the Arya is also emphasized in the bass, which can somewhat harmonize with a warm sounding.
This feature made it slip a notch back then. Or two.
If it wasn’t for that bass, one might call it the more Grado-sounding HifiMan.
(I never heard a really Grado-sounding headphone that isn’t labeled ‘Grado‘, but I get the idea)
… is anything in the Grado lineup worthwhile in that price range, or am I better off grabbing an 800S/Arya/Clear/Diana V2 alongside the Hemp, rather than another Grado?
I can‘t say anything qualified about PS2000e, which I guess you would have to hurry to get one or the GS3000e. The GS1000e is indeed slightly better in some (not all) features than the RS1e or PS500e. The GS2000e, I have mixed feelings. It is definitely improved in soundstage and maybe slightly in positioning. But I couldn’t make out any higher resolution. This might be caused by my hearing or the equipment (mobile stuff) back then. There are Pros saying that the PS2000e‘s Resolution can compete against T1, DT1990 Pro, HD800S, LCD-X which is a great compliment. Others say that by nearly the same resolution, the GS3000e adds a touch of warmth, which makes it the more interesting phone to most of the people.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back