Grado Fan Club!
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #49,082 of 65,471
Let‘s call it at least a public relations desaster.
I suspect at the Pokemon center they don't really know -- they are just inferring that the actual headphones are SR80x because they know it's not a freebie extra. I suspect given the price differences of the different SKUs for those Pokemon 'phones, that there are varying underlying models and someone just made a mistake and copied/pasted.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #49,084 of 65,471
Oct 25, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #49,086 of 65,471
Just got the RS1e in and not gonna lie they sound pretty good to me. Instrument separation is really good and soundstage as well. Idk sounds pretty darn good. Also, seems like I don’t have to turn the volume up more to keep enjoying. Definitely not as much oomf and bass as the 325x but I’m not super into heavy bass. Now only thing I have to do is explain to the wife why my headphones are a different color lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #49,087 of 65,471
Ask grado instead
judging by how confusing Pokemon Center is and how all of their models were wearing the headphones backwards in the pictures, yes, i would agree with you there. seems like the headphones themselves were thought out but everything else wasnt. i would be curious to know how Grado themselves view this collaboration and how the work was completed between each of the companies because viewing it from the outside...... eeek.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #49,088 of 65,471
Just got the RS1e in and not gonna lie they sound pretty good to me. Instrument separation is really good and soundstage as well. Idk sounds pretty darn good. Also, seems like I don’t have to turn the volume up more to keep enjoying. Definitely not as much oomf and bass as the 325x but I’m not super into heavy bass. Now only thing I have to do is explain to the wife why my headphones are a different color lol.
Tell her the story of the Monarch butterfly and the stages it goes through from egg to butterfly :smile:

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #49,089 of 65,471
I have the original SR225 and now torn between modding this with leather band and wood cups or going straight with RS series. I recently bought an RA-1 amp although I know they have cheap metarials in it. At most I can keep them as a collection item.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #49,090 of 65,471
I have the original SR225 and now torn between modding this with leather band and wood cups or going straight with RS series. I recently bought an RA-1 amp although I know they have cheap metarials in it. At most I can keep them as a collection item.
I feel that the RS1e has a refined sound overall and actually prefer it sonically with original Grado flat pads. I have a vintage RS1 that I have had since they first were introduced. That first RS1 used the same flats as on the Joseph Grado Signature HP1000 series.

You might want to give it a try, buy them direct from Grado so you know you have the correct pad and foam density. I find both my RS1 phones very comfortable, especially after bending the headband for absolute best fit. All important for best sound.

The RA-1 actually still sounds pretty good with Grados considering it's cost and age. I was lucky to be able to find a Joseph Grado Signature HPA-1 amp. Very neutral, nice power. Grado has one their audition room. It is both AC and DC capable (2 x 9V batteries). Just the throw of a toggle switch in the back.

HeadAmp & JG Signature.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #49,091 of 65,471
There is a Grado reseller nearby in the city center. I'd like to go and see if they allow people to try during this pandemic. Btw, the RA-1 I got is the battery powered model. My other concern is that if we'll see new X variant of RS series soon like they did with the mainstream SR models. I haven't heard of that Joseph Grado line before. That amp looks so robust.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #49,092 of 65,471
The RA-1 actually still sounds pretty good with Grados considering it's cost and age. I was lucky to be able to find a Joseph Grado Signature HPA-1 amp. Very neutral, nice power. Grado has one their audition room. It is both AC and DC capable (2 x 9V batteries). Just the throw of a toggle switch in the back.
How does it compare to the Gilmore Lite mk2?

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #49,093 of 65,471
Can anyone that owned both compare the GH-2's and the RS2e's?

I made a guy a trade offer for some headphones against a set of RS2e's.

My Grado history is:
1) SR325e's. Liked them, but found them a bit bright.
2) PS500e's. Found them dull and flat.
3) GH2's. Have had them for three years and they are my favourite headphones.

Just wondering what the RS2e's would bring to the table. I wouldn't have thought to buy them, but on a trade, I am curious.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #49,094 of 65,471
While waiting for 4th gen woodies, I stumbled across a review of the GT220’s.
https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/grado-gt220/
It‘s all in German and not too long, but in even shorter words:
- the reviewer‘s happiness about the telephone functions is… limited.
- ‘Yet after a few sounds of my reference playlist (named example linked by movinIron: https://www.highresaudio.com/de/album/view/wyokk9/natalie-merchant-leave-your-sleep. Track 13) it became clear, these are serious headphones‘
- ‘sound quality is simply great.‘
- ‘…actually, these are acoustically the most impressive true wireless in ears I know!‘
- usage and functionality doesn‘t reach Sennheiser, Sony, Apple and others.
- microphone quality doesn’t reach cheaper alternatives.
- ‘Nevertheless: The sound of the Grado GT220‘s is quite honestly breathtaking‘

Maybe I need to think about some new true wireless in ears…

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #49,095 of 65,471
This forum is a bad influence :deadhorse: :L3000: ...

As I mentioned before in an earlier post, I really liked the 225e best of all the prestige models when I compared them all a few years ago (225e "rocked, visceral", 60e 2nd fuller, 80e lacked oomph, 125e thin, 325e too bright, no bass) and everyone's comments had me convinced the 225x would be my ticket.

So, the went into my friend's shop to check out the 80x, 225x, and 325x with the intention of probably picking up the 225x, but he gave me an offer too good to pass up on a open box 325x (much cheaper than a new 225x), so I grabbed them and sped out of there like I was on fire.

I've been listening to them the past few days and in comparison to my 60e, they just have "more" engagement, detail, and focus.
I am very happy with them so far.

Some thoughts:

*** The 60e's are still a stone cold bargain and definitely more comfortable.
*** The 60e's like the Darkvoice amp, are "okay" with the THX 789, but great with the Asgard 3.

*** The 325x's do not get along with the THX 789 and get congealed on the Darkvoice, but they are great with the Asgard 3 .

I still should listen to a lot more music before I reach my final verdict, but I'm glad to have the SR325x in my stable (getting crowded).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back