Grado Fan Club!
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #42,331 of 65,481
nice work! looks very clean
i don't think grado ever going to do that, especially with hd800 socket, those connector is not cheap

Probably not as it was not a solder job for the uninitiated! I know they could do it, but cost of parts and labour would be non starters.

I really like the connectors though... they are compact and don’t stick out like the Audeze or DCA ones do. They easily pull out if the cable snags all while feeling robust.

3.5 would be my next choice, and I may try it in my next set of Grados!

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #42,332 of 65,481
image.jpg

Got it all back together last night and it feels like a weight off my shoulders both figuratively and literally.

Couple of warnings for those who would like to attempt this:
1. the hemp is essentially a fiberboard and is very fragile. I used a new set of bits and increased the hole diameter by minor increments but still had some of the Hemp material fray/pull out of the cup housing. I even taped around the housing...but its light and fragile stuff
1a. I filled in the areas with wood shavings and a good quality clear wood glue - actually turned out really nice and is hard to notice (the unique coloration is also helpful in hiding defects!)
1b. If I were to do it again, I would place the cups in a vise to keep pressure on the housing while drilling.

2. I chose HD800 sockets due to their small size and limited amount of drilliing needed but boy are those suckers tough to solder too. The barrel solder pins are probably meant for 30guage wire...but since I wanted to use the stock Grado wire (which is around 24/26 guage I had to do some work to slim it down to fit. I should have taken some pictures of the soldering, but I did not think of it until I had already applied the shrink tube and I was not going back.
2a I probably should have just used the 3.5mm sockets I had on hand for this mod, and would do so in the future.
2b I have some Grado Whites coming and wonder if I should do the same?!?!

image.jpg
image.jpg

I am more than happy with the way this mod turned out and hope that Grado will at some point consider doing this across the line. Probably want to use 3.5 mm plugs instead of HD800, but I really wanted to use the Campfire and Wywires cables that I already have.

Note: I was surprised how easy it was to remove the drivers after hearing others concerns over melting drivers or ruining the headphones. I simply removed as much glue as I could see with a razor/scalpel, then gently warmed with a hair dryer driver side down and they pulled right out. The hemp wood composite transfers heat energy pretty easily and warmed up enough with only a few minutes of heat.

Question now is whether I should replace the stock gimbals and stop blocks with black alum. or satin alum to go with the coffee leather headstrap that is on its way...What do you all think?
Did you reglue the drivers back in place, or do they just rest in place in the cups?

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #42,333 of 65,481
Looking to try grados again
With the ttvj flat/deluxe flat pads, how will the sound differ between the sr225e/325e/rs2e? How different are the sound signatures between the 3?

Also, are there any current grados that sound like the old Joseph grado models?

Were there Joe grado models besides the hp1000 series?

Thanks

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #42,334 of 65,481
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #42,335 of 65,481
With the ttvj flat/deluxe flat pads, how will the sound differ between the sr225e/325e/rs2e? How different are the sound signatures between the 3?

Thanks
The Hemp is the only current model that has some resemblance to the original Joseph Grado sound. It’s the only one voiced to be used with the original flat pads but is probably closer to the original RS1 than the HP1000.
There was a Joe Grado Prestige series that came out shortly after the HP1000. I owned one from that series along with an HP2 (HP1000) and they were quite similar sounding.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #42,336 of 65,481
Did you reglue the drivers back in place, or do they just rest in place in the cups?
I used hotglue to reseal the drivers into the cups. They were very loose without the glue and just fell out without any force otherwise.

I was going to try bluetack, or some other semi-rigid material, but hot glue seemed like the best for long term. I do not plan on taking these apart anytime soon...listening is too good!

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #42,337 of 65,481

Thanks
there were prestige models that using the same driver as hp1000, sr100, sr200, and sr300. and i believe some of the first sr325(black) also using that blackstar driver

Probably not as it was not a solder job for the uninitiated! I know they could do it, but cost of parts and labour would be non starters.

I really like the connectors though... they are compact and don’t stick out like the Audeze or DCA ones do. They easily pull out if the cable snags all while feeling robust.

3.5 would be my next choice, and I may try it in my next set of Grados!

i also like those connector, almost mod my ps1000e with that hd800 socket but the price of that connector kinda turned me off :D if i ever going to mod grado, that's definitely the connector i'm going to choose, it just looks really clean

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #42,338 of 65,481
Just received the GS3000e, and planning on doing some comparisons with the GS2000e. Once done the 2000 will be sold.
If you're "planning on doing some comparisons with GS3000e" how do you already know "once done the GS2000e will be sold"?

GH1 because it sounds excellent,
+1

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #42,339 of 65,481
Also, if you try to install connectors in the Hemp material, and it starts to break up and disintegrate, you can add a bit of krazy glue (or CA glue from the hobby shop) to harden the area and turn it effectively into reinforced resin.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #42,340 of 65,481

Got it all back together last night and it feels like a weight off my shoulders both figuratively and literally.

Couple of warnings for those who would like to attempt this:
1. the hemp is essentially a fiberboard and is very fragile. I used a new set of bits and increased the hole diameter by minor increments but still had some of the Hemp material fray/pull out of the cup housing. I even taped around the housing...but its light and fragile stuff
1a. I filled in the areas with wood shavings and a good quality clear wood glue - actually turned out really nice and is hard to notice (the unique coloration is also helpful in hiding defects!)
1b. If I were to do it again, I would place the cups in a vise to keep pressure on the housing while drilling.

2. I chose HD800 sockets due to their small size and limited amount of drilliing needed but boy are those suckers tough to solder too. The barrel solder pins are probably meant for 30guage wire...but since I wanted to use the stock Grado wire (which is around 24/26 guage I had to do some work to slim it down to fit. I should have taken some pictures of the soldering, but I did not think of it until I had already applied the shrink tube and I was not going back.
2a I probably should have just used the 3.5mm sockets I had on hand for this mod, and would do so in the future.
2b I have some Grado Whites coming and wonder if I should do the same?!?!

I am more than happy with the way this mod turned out and hope that Grado will at some point consider doing this across the line. Probably want to use 3.5 mm plugs instead of HD800, but I really wanted to use the Campfire and Wywires cables that I already have.

Note: I was surprised how easy it was to remove the drivers after hearing others concerns over melting drivers or ruining the headphones. I simply removed as much glue as I could see with a razor/scalpel, then gently warmed with a hair dryer driver side down and they pulled right out. The hemp wood composite transfers heat energy pretty easily and warmed up enough with only a few minutes of heat.

Question now is whether I should replace the stock gimbals and stop blocks with black alum. or satin alum to go with the coffee leather headstrap that is on its way...What do you all think?
I did this to my vintage Rs1. The only occasional annoyance is that the aftermarket hd800 female connectors tend to be a bit loose fitting and any (hd800 style) cable I plug in my occasionally slip out! Have you noticed this on yours?

Edit: btw, my first choice was to go with 3.5mm connectors. Unfortunately, because of the thickness of the wood I couldn't find a female 3.5mm that would go all the way through the wood, so just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #42,341 of 65,481
I did this to my vintage Rs1. The only occasional annoyance is that the aftermarket hd800 female connectors tend to be a bit loose fitting and any (hd800 style) cable I plug in my occasionally slip out! Have you noticed this on yours?

Edit: btw, my first choice was to go with 3.5mm connectors. Unfortunately, because of the thickness of the wood I couldn't find a female 3.5mm that would go all the way through the wood, so just some food for thought.

I have some 3.5 connectors that I would have liked to use! But like you said, wall thickness was too high, and also the barrel (and necessary hole) is much bigger than the HD800 ones. Currently the connectors have a really firm grab when inserted and do not wiggle...I am sure it will get looser over time, but I cannot imagine them falling out with how firm they seat.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #42,342 of 65,481
Decided to return the Beautiful Audio pads. But before I sent them off, I put them on the SR225i and did a very quick test. The SR225i with the BA-G pads are a much better sonic fit than the official S or G pads. But I still preferred the official G pads with EQ overall, both sound and comfort wise. The BA-G pads have a smaller circumference than the official G pads, so I actually found them slightly less comfortable despite the premium materials used, as more of my pinnae were touching the edges of the pad. What concerned me more was that the high-frequency "air" feeling all but disappeared. This ethereal quality to the sound is what made me attracted to Grado in the first place. I have a hunch that a corrected BA-G pad for my GS3000e would still remove this sound characteristic, so I decided to cut my losses.

While it wasn't for me, Silvian of Beautiful Audio has been absolutely professional the entire time, with e-mail replies coming in under 1 hour. Excellent service.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #42,343 of 65,481
Decided to return the Beautiful Audio pads. But before I sent them off, I put them on the SR225i and did a very quick test. The SR225i with the BA-G pads are a much better sonic fit than the official S or G pads. But I still preferred the official G pads with EQ overall, both sound and comfort wise. The BA-G pads have a smaller circumference than the official G pads, so I actually found them slightly less comfortable despite the premium materials used, as more of my pinnae were touching the edges of the pad. What concerned me more was that the high-frequency "air" feeling all but disappeared. This ethereal quality to the sound is what made me attracted to Grado in the first place. I have a hunch that a corrected BA-G pad for my GS3000e would still remove this sound characteristic, so I decided to cut my losses.

While it wasn't for me, Silvian of Beautiful Audio has been absolutely professional the entire time, with e-mail replies coming in under 1 hour. Excellent service.

Sorry to hear about that. I find my so comfortable. Did Silvian say if he was going to start creating bigger pads or at least put a warning on his website?

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #42,344 of 65,481
No, but I wasn't about to preach to him what he should put on his site.

The Hemp is the only current model that has some resemblance to the original Joseph Grado sound. It’s the only one voiced to be used with the original flat pads but is probably closer to the original RS1 than the HP1000.

The last time I heard an HP1000 for an extended period was nearly 10 years ago at a Head-Fi meet. For all the hype and reputation, the HP1000 seemed like a letdown. But that led me to realize that absolute neutrality wasn't going to completely satisfy me, and I'm fine with that. I recall only 2 headphones at that meet that gave me goosebumps: the Stax SR007 Mk1 (over the Mk2 which I also tried), and the AKG K1000. For me, the GS3000e EQ'd and with the Pro iCAN's 3D ASP has provided that same feeling.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #42,345 of 65,481
I also got my Hemp this week. Made a balanced recabling...I think I get it why many like it. Very open sound with a lot of goosebumps. What's intresting is, that I drive it with a Pathos Inpol Ear and there is a faint noise to the amplifier I did not heard before. Altough my other phone is a Campfire Cascade and it should be actually more sensitve. Cascade: 38Ohms-100dB/mW. Hemp: 38Ohms-98dB/mW. I can't hear anything with the Cascade.

BF4F5C19-8AF4-4D89-8CF3-AB84D10E4C04.jpeg

7725B90A-76DE-42BF-A98C-FAFDFE99741A.jpeg

224F1F50-118F-4D9B-8E22-D9E98C5349E6.jpeg

00DB909C-876D-4CA3-84CB-441F25E6069C.jpeg

D6BB05AB-734A-474C-85B3-620E432DEC92.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back