Grado Fan Club!
Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #4,036 of 65,046
Quote:
You can damage the diaphragm/cone/etc if you put too much pressure against it, but blowing it out may work in this scenario.

Yeah, I've already done that, but the rattle still persists on some songs. Plus, I've already sent them in, with all the mods removed of course. Thank you for the help though. 

I love the Grado sound and if I have to wait a while to fix whatever problems happen, I'd be more than willing to wait. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #4,038 of 65,046
I remember a past thread, someone mentioning one of the discontinued circumaural HD models having pads that fit on to grados unmodded (not 414)

Anyone remember? I've spent all day searching threads, and can't find it. :'(

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4,039 of 65,046
I'm continually amazed at the sq of the PS500's! I have not heard a better 'phone for acoustic music: I am listening to a Jorma Kaukonen album "Blue Country Heart" and it's like these guys are playing in my house! Each instrument is heard in it's own space, talk about soundstage! I'm sure that Mazda 5751 tube has something to do with it, but this is more than I even expected. It's not just strings either, my jazz faves have taken on a new life with the 500's.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #4,040 of 65,046
Quote:
I'm continually amazed at the sq of the PS500's! I have not heard a better 'phone for acoustic music: I am listening to a Jorma Kaukonen album "Blue Country Heart" and it's like these guys are playing in my house! Each instrument is heard in it's own space, talk about soundstage! I'm sure that Mazda 5751 tube has something to do with it, but this is more than I even expected. It's not just strings either, my jazz faves have taken on a new life with the 500's.

Yep, they bring certain types of music to life...it's pretty remarkable (and enjoyable!)

I've been seekign out some good live albums just because of the 500s. I never expected a pair of headphones to be able to do this.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4,041 of 65,046
Quote:

Yep, they bring certain types of music to life...it's pretty remarkable (and enjoyable!)

I've been seekign out some good live albums just because of the 500s. I never expected a pair of headphones to be able to do this.

I've noticed the upgrade with live recordings too. Recently got a live Gerry Mulligan set on a German label (JazzHaus) recorded in 1977 with some backing musicians I never heard of - it's sublime (very well recorded).

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,042 of 65,046
Quote:

I've noticed the upgrade with live recordings too. Recently got a live Gerry Mulligan set on a German label (JazzHaus) recorded in 1977 with some backing musicians I never heard of - it's sublime (very well recorded).

Nice...that's one way I'll actually listen to music that I ordinarily probably wouldn't care for. There is this Jazz station on my TuneIn radio app that someone on another site suggested...some of the tracks they play are live, and wow do they sound good. You know how the tone of certain instruments has this "body" to it in real life? Like the resonance of something like an upright bass or maybe a male vocal? The Grados seem to preserve that...it's very impressive. I don't hear it the same way on my other headphones. My T1s can get the tone pretty close to accurate, but the Grados take it a step further.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #4,044 of 65,046
Quote:

Nice...that's one way I'll actually listen to music that I ordinarily probably wouldn't care for. There is this Jazz station on my TuneIn radio app that someone on another site suggested...some of the tracks they play are live, and wow do they sound good. You know how the tone of certain instruments has this "body" to it in real life? Like the resonance of something like an upright bass or maybe a male vocal? The Grados seem to preserve that...it's very impressive. I don't hear it the same way on my other headphones. My T1s can get the tone pretty close to accurate, but the Grados take it a step further.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Upright bass or double bass is incredible with the 500's - particularly bowed. I have been listening to a lot of bluegrass-derived music (newgrass?) which uses bowed bass and violin to great effect.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #4,046 of 65,046
I remember a past thread, someone mentioning one of the discontinued circumaural HD models having pads that fit on to grados unmodded (not 414)
Anyone remember? I've spent all day searching threads, and can't find it. :'(
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

HD 485 as per this link

http://www.head-fi.org/t/524252/grado-325i-woodies-swbf2cheater-earpad-mod-56k-warning

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #4,048 of 65,046
I am finally back with another set of Grado's. I opted for the SR80i's this time around and so far I couldnt be happier with them. 

I originally bought a set of 325i's back in March, but they had a defective cable and had to be returned. The store where I bought them didnt have any more stock, so I just opted for the refund. I really liked them and have been missing the Grado sound every since. I didnt think it would take this long to get another set but it seemed like everytime I decided on getting a new set something came up and I didnt get them. A little over a week ago (maybe 2 now) I decided what the heck I will try out the SR80i's and go from there. So far I am very impressed with these, especially for the price point. 

Glad to have a Grado back in my line-up again!!

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #4,050 of 65,046
What do you suggest me to buy as a long keeper handphone for Grado

SR60
SR80
SR125
SR225
SR325
[size=small]Alessandro MS1.[/size]

I would love to add the PS500 in the list, but it's exceed my budget so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back