Grado Fan Club!
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #39,331 of 65,550
If anyone has been thinking about a pair of GS3000e's, there is a used pair, 5 months old, on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart).

They are asking $1,550.00 (about $1,150.00 in US $'s).

Just an FYI.

Shane D

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #39,332 of 65,550
GRADO GH3 IMPRSSIONS AND BACKSTORY........

I just picked up a pair of the Grado GH3 headphones after listening to them with some music I know quite well. I was quite happy with the excellent all around performer this is, especially for the price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did find out that John Grado's inspiration for the GH3 and the GH4 lies in his love of the Beatles and their music. Here is a quote from John relating this:

From John Grado - " Being a huge Beatle fan I like to listen whenever the opportunity arises, I've listened to their songs thousands of times. One Saturday morning I was listening to the Rubber Soul album and one of my favorite songs came on, Norwegian Wood. All of a sudden a question popped into my head, what is Norwegian Wood? I investigated and found that years ago it was popular to panel rooms with Norwegian pine. The idea of a headphone made out of Norwegian pine and inspired by my favorite band, the Beatles, seemed possible.

It was an interesting journey, we needed to learn the characteristics of the wood and design a driver that would best match up to it, not knowing at first if it would meet our standards.

The end result is our Grado Heritage Limited Edition Series, the GH3 and GH4 headphones. We were able to keep the Grado Signature sound with a special tonal balance that proudly was inspired by four lads from Liverpool.

Listen & Enjoy,"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say as you look at both the Limited Edition GH3 and GH4 there is no question as to how that worked out. Hooray for the Beatles and to John for following his inspiration.....

Back to my purchase, I found the GH3 very balanced in it's presentation with smooth open mids and highs and a nicely impactful low end. Currently the least expensive wood bodied headphone that Grado has ever made it combines superb comfit with very compelling sound for only $325.

I highly recommend anyone looking for a good all around headphone that also likes a good deal should check the GH3 out before they go the way of the GH1.

I don’t believe that Grado makes any drivers, much less, drivers per headphone model. They may match and bin them. The only evidence of Grado making their own drivers is them saying so.

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #39,334 of 65,550
If anyone has been thinking about a pair of GS3000e's, there is a used pair, 5 months old, on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart).

Wow. I might snipe this, pending an in-person audition to test driver matching. The GS3000e I demoed at Audio46 in New York City had too much driver deviation for me to accept it. Grado is really hit or miss when it comes to that.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #39,335 of 65,550
Wow. I might snipe this, pending an in-person audition for driver matching purposes. The GS3000e I demoed at Audio46 in New York City had too much driver deviation for me to accept it. Grado is really hit or miss when it comes to that.

Cocobolo is awesome...

Shane D

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #39,336 of 65,550
I agree with Wormsdriver, the quote says designed, not manufactured by Grado. The basic Grado driver first appeared with Joe Grado's original Signature series HP1000 variants. There have been many design changes since then and I have heard two prototypes of a developing model where the sound was quite different so there is something happening there that yields results. Other driver design changes very well may be made in Brooklyn in experimentation to find the right balance of parameters. Having come from the retail world of Audio/Video I have sold hundreds of assorted Grado models over the years and have either owned or own most of their different models and never had a customer (or myself) who experienced any channel deviations or issues. I had a bad connection in one channel of a SR225 I had owned for several years. That was repaired at no charge by Grado Labs.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #39,337 of 65,550
I agree with Wormsdriver, the quote says designed, not manufactured by Grado. The basic Grado driver first appeared with Joe Grado's original Signature series HP1000 variants. There have been many design changes since then and I have heard two prototypes of a developing model where the sound was quite different so there is something happening there that yields results. Other driver design changes very well may be made in Brooklyn in experimentation to find the right balance of parameters. Having come from the retail world of Audio/Video I have sold hundreds of assorted Grado models over the years and have either owned or own most of their different models and never had a customer (or myself) who experienced any channel deviations or issues. I had a bad connection in one channel of a SR225 I had owned for several years. That was repaired at no charge by Grado Labs.
I’ve had 2... In both cases one driver had rattle issues. That being said except for my very first 2 Grados (sr60i and ms1i) I have never bought new, and each time Grado was quick to provide repair service. It wasn’t free but at least I can always stay assured that my Grados will never go into a trash bin, no matter what happens

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #39,339 of 65,550
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #39,340 of 65,550
So, a few years back, I was auditioning several headphones for my first “high dollar” set. I settled on the PS500e. I enjoyed it, but upgraditis bit me, and I sold them. Regretted it ever since. Well, I found a set on flea bay sold as is for parts. When they arrived, they only needed new pads!

I think these non-e 500’s sound better than my previous set. They have a really low serial too.

I’m Glad to have a Grado again.

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #39,341 of 65,550
Enjoy Harry....the PS500 is excellent

I just received a Cavalli Liquid Carbon V1 today and have not tried it with any of my other phones as yet but the sonic match with new GH3 is better than good, really has some very good synergy. Anyone with any of the Cavalli LC versions should give the Grado a listen. I would love to hear some feedback or other impressions. Amazing combo for approximately $500, check it out.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #39,342 of 65,550
My PS500 has black drivers (on the back). Does anyone know if this typical for a pre 'E' series PS500?

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #39,344 of 65,550
Which is the best Grado?

Which Grado do you recommend?
I am also infected by the Grado virus.
My SR325e surprises and fascinates me again and again. He makes the music sound different than other headphones.

Now I have the opportunity to get two other Grado headphones:
GH2 Heritage and the PS1000 for the same price. Both are used in good condition.
I have read several reviews from both headphones. The GH2 is often rated even better than the PS1000, although the PS1000 was significantly more expensive.
In addition, there are also the GH3 (good price new), the RS1e / RS2e and GS1000, .... which also get pretty good reviews.

What is your opinion?

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #39,345 of 65,550
Which is the best Grado?

Which Grado do you recommend?
I am also infected by the Grado virus.
My SR325e surprises and fascinates me again and again. He makes the music sound different than other headphones.

Now I have the opportunity to get two other Grado headphones:
GH2 Heritage and the PS1000 for the same price. Both are used in good condition.
I have read several reviews from both headphones. The GH2 is often rated even better than the PS1000, although the PS1000 was significantly more expensive.
In addition, there are also the GH3 (good price new), the RS1e / RS2e and GS1000, .... which also get pretty good reviews.

What is your opinion?
For me it's the RS2e and the RS1i, tied. For me only the RS and SR series embody the "Grado house sound"... I haven't got to hear the GH series in person so I don't know if that hold true, but I very quickly sold my PS1000 when I got it for ~$1000 in 2014. It's not like it was, it's just that I was disappointed. I thought it would bring the RS1i sound sig to a whole new level, but it didn't sound quite similar to begin with. Of course YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back