Grado Fan Club!
Aug 28, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #38,566 of 65,481
Hope all is well! thanks for sharing... I was contemplating having my Beyerdynamics modified... and I saw the mods for Grado as well.

I am sure the quality must be outstanding, but it's just one of those "amazing looking pieces of art", but expensive as hell decisions that won't fall into my priority list right now...

The Beyerdynamic pads are really comfy... it's probably a really good match for the Grados...
Cheers!
Agree that the price is a bit much and since G-pads work quite well for me I good.

@Johnny Jumper, I think there were a few that tried some leather pads (looked like L-pads IIRC) and most didn't care for the way it altered the sound but I could be mistaken since its been awhile that I remember seeing the post and I'm not sure if it was in this thread or in the Grado Modders thread.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #38,568 of 65,481
Agree that the price is a bit much and since G-pads work quite well for me I good.

@Johnny Jumper, I think there were a few that tried some leather pads (looked like L-pads IIRC) and most didn't care for the way it altered the sound but I could be mistaken since its been awhile that I remember seeing the post and I'm not sure if it was in this thread or in the Grado Modders thread.
Could be my post here that you're talking about.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #38,571 of 65,481
So guys my first pair of Grado headphones I purchased the SR60e and WOW
Nice impressions of the Grado sound and glad you're enjoying them. As for the comfort, I can see that the headband hasn't been stretched out in order to have less clamping force on your ears and head. Gently pull the headband outward several times as needed (from above the L & R plastic rodblocks) until it is just about in a vertical position, then hold it there, then let it return to its position, and repeat this until you're comfortable with the clamping force.

One thing that puzzles me is the fact that you didn't like the sound of the 60e directly from your MBP?
I agree Grados sound better with a dedicated amp & DAC, but I also use my 325is directly from my MBP from time to time and enjoy their sound very, very much. In the past I've also used my 80i directly from my Sony CDP-C 701ES which I also enjoyed very, very much.

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #38,572 of 65,481
Nice impressions of the Grado sound and glad you're enjoying them. As for the comfort, I can see that the headband hasn't been stretched out in order to have less clamping force on your ears and head. Gently pull the headband outward several times as needed (from above the L & R plastic rodblocks) until it is just about in a vertical position, then hold it there, then let it return to its position, and repeat this until you're comfortable with the clamping force.

One thing that puzzles me is the fact that you didn't like the sound of the 60e directly from your MBP?
I agree Grados sound better with a dedicated amp & DAC, but I also use my 325is directly from my MBP from time to time and enjoy their sound very, very much. In the past I've also used my 80i directly from my Sony CDP-C 701ES which I also enjoyed very, very much.
Even with the RS1i and RS2e I still find myself able to enjoy the sound coming straight from my iPhone. I don’t use Macs but on Windows I find myself very disappointed. After every manufacturer merge the mic jack and the headphone jack into one, I often find the sound too thin. Kinda unacceptable, whilst previously they were.

That said I still recommend everyone that spend a lot of time on their laptop to buy either a Dragonfly or a Geekout. Right now my MH40 never gets separated from my Dragonfly.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #38,573 of 65,481
Even with the RS1i and RS2e I still find myself able to enjoy the sound coming straight from my iPhone. I don’t use Macs but on Windows I find myself very disappointed. After every manufacturer merge the mic jack and the headphone jack into one, I often find the sound too thin. Kinda unacceptable, whilst previously they were.

That said I still recommend everyone that spend a lot of time on their laptop to buy either a Dragonfly or a Geekout. Right now my MH40 never gets separated from my Dragonfly.
I find it strange that the iPhone sounds better than your Windows computer. Keep in mind I've never used my headphones out of my iPhone or a Windows based computer, though. But as I mentioned, my 325is as well as my 80i (when I had it) sound very good out of my MBP.

I also had the Dragonfly when it was pretty much first released, so I don't remember the exact model, but I returned it being I felt my MBP didn't benefit from it.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #38,574 of 65,481
Hi all,

which amplifiers do you recommend for the Grado GH2?

Now I'm using the Violectric V220. Are there any better amplifiers in the same price range of Violectric, that are best suited for my headphones? Preferably solid-state, but also tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #38,575 of 65,481
Hi all,

which amplifiers do you recommend for the Grado GH2?

Now I'm using the Violectric V220. Are there any better amplifiers in the same price range of Violectric, that are best suited for my headphones? Preferably solid-state, but also tubes.
this one maybe, i'm not sure how much v220 usually cost though

1300358.jpg

https://mjolnir-audio.com/product-selection/
one of the reviews: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-18-icelandic-wonder

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #38,576 of 65,481
I hate myself for overlooking this brand. Should have bought an alessandro ms1i/e while its still around. So in the end i got a used ms1i and immediately blown away with this $100 plastic cans.

Exactly the signature i love, still cant beat my dt880 and some good midfi's but definitely will force me to kick my fidelio X2 and L1 soon

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #38,578 of 65,481
I don't know the Mjolnir amplifier. Where I live the V220 costs about € 1400
i see. that model of mjolnir amplifier more expensive then. that amplifier built by spritzer and design by/with kevin gilmore. both of those guys has been around since headwize if i'm not mistaken. are you familiar with headamp? their products used kevin gilmore design, that mjolnir's model should be in gsxmk2 level

and the reviewer who reviewed mjolnir amplifier is bob katz, you just need to google him, the dude should know a few things about sound

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #38,579 of 65,481
i see. that model of mjolnir amplifier more expensive then. that amplifier built by spritzer and design by/with kevin gilmore. both of those guys has been around since headwize if i'm not mistaken. are you familiar with headamp? their products used kevin gilmore design, that mjolnir's model should be in gsxmk2 level

and the reviewer who reviewed mjolnir amplifier is bob katz, you just need to google him, the dude should know a few things about sound

Yes, I know the Headamp products. However, the Mjolnir seems too powerful for the Grado and there is not even the possibility to adjust the gain....or am I wrong?

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #38,580 of 65,481
Yes, I know the Headamp products. However, the Mjolnir seems too powerful for the Grado and there is not even the possibility to adjust the gain....or am I wrong?
yes, it's probably too powerful for grado, maybe the SE design would suit grado better. but if you have various headphones from other brands and need balance, that's probably the one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back