1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Grado Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by vikingatheart, Dec 29, 2010.
  1. sling5s
    I get contradictory impressions. On TTVJ loaner impressions, two posts say that they are recessed in the mids. So are they recessed in the mids but forward in the upper mids?
    Confusing.

2. PhenixS1970
    I just got a Sugden Masterclass HA-4 and the match with Grado is astounding to me (source : Bluesound node 2 tidal hifi and Resolution Audio Cantata 3.0 dac). I read that Sugden used the GS1000i to voice this little amp....it shows :)

3. lumohomo06
    How much does it cost?

4. PhenixS1970
    It ain’t cheap....retail price is 1,800.00 Eur (must be plenty of alternatives for that kind of budget but I have the bigger brother amp drivingmy harbeth m30.1 and love the sound). I read about the Grado voicing in the past and Sugden confirmed it to me as well last week.

wormsdriver likes this.
  5. Nitreb
    I can't comment on the RS2e or the GH1, but compared to my GS1000i, the GS2000e has tighter bass, more presence in the mids and smoother trebles.

6. lumohomo06
    Are there several versions of RS2e?
    Will the headband color determine the version and sound?
    The black vs mahogany headband?

7. ruthieandjohn
    As far as I know, there is only one version of the RS2e, which has the tan headband and to my ear is the best sounding of the RS2 series.

DavidA likes this.
  8. lumohomo06
    I see, thanks.

9. sling5s
    This is my theory/assumption/opinion or whatever you call it based on my personal limited experience so it's not a fact until Grado makes their own statements but here it is:
    Grado has been known to change or tweak their headphones in their series in both looks and sound. Example, (1996-2000) RS1 has a different sound than (2001-2003) RS1, and (2004-2006) RS1 different sound and looks (no buttons), but they are all called RS1...and not until 2007 when they made more revisions and called it RS1i.

Similarly, RS1e has gone through several revisions. First batch had a very evident protruding drivers. Then later versions had drivers that were protruding only slightly, to where they are completely flush.

All this to say that Grado has been known to make revisions without stating so. Which brings me to the RS2e. When I first bought them in 2014, they were very bass light. It had the brown leather headband and not the black ones. I sold them in 2016 and then purchased them brand new again in 2018. To my surprise, they had more bass, more consistent with the "e" series.
    I thought it was a lemon so I returned them and couple months later purchased another new pair. Again, they had more bass then the 2014 version.
    I still have them and my conclusion from all this was that Grado probably revised them at some point. When is anyone's guess.

This is my own personal experience so who knows, no way to confirm any of this. :)
    Who knows maybe the first RS2e I got could have been a lemon and all the rest normal. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. lumohomo06
    In your opinion, which RS 2e do you prefer, the light bass or the heavy bass one?
    Maybe they vary each by each, just saying.

11. sling5s
    I wouldn't say bass heavy because the amount of bass in the RS2e that is consistent with the "e" series is almost perfect (after burn in). I say almost perfect because sometimes for some songs, the midbass and upper bass can stand out too much. The bass light RS2e was great for rock and detail because the the uppermids and lower treble stood out more. So it really depends on your preference.

If you own the GH1 and GH2, then the bass light RS2e would be a great complement. If not, the RS2e that is more consistent with the other "e" series in bass amount would be a better all-rounder.

Who knows maybe the first RS2e I got could have been a lemon and all the rest normal. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  12. ruhenheiM
    i'm falling in love with two movies, both have really great ost

pom poko

isle of dogs

HungryPanda likes this.
  13. Johnny Jumper
    So, is there a “sweet spot” in the Grado line between the SR60 and the PS2000?

14. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Here are my recommendations:

SR225e
    RS2e
    GS2000e
    and the sweetest spot is the PS2000e. :)

gregorya, DavidA and trellus like this.
  15. ruhenheiM
    sr60 and ps1000e