Grado Fan Club!
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #38,476 of 65,481
Also anybody know where I can get a spare grado metal headband as it's the only part I need to make complete sr60e?

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #38,477 of 65,481
I see a lot of RS1e bashing....

I got my RS1i headphones repaired and while Grado had them i got the drivers changed out with the "e" drivers...... At first I was a little luke warm but after some serious burn in- and I mean pretty long....they went from pretty muddy and bassy to not a lot of bass to one of the smoothest headphones I have ever heard(I also own a PS1000 and GH-2). The treble and bass are prefect. It embodies everything I loved about the Rs1i but better. The treble on the "i" could be spiky sometimes and the bass didn't kick(impact) sometimes when you wanted it to but these babies deliver on all fronts. I own and have owned tons of Grado's, these are top notch. I have owned the RS2e and I prefer these more. I think the reason the RS1e sucked initially was the drivers were protruding....Mine are flush. I think they have fixed the problem but they are still getting a bad rap. I have owned the RS1 more times than I would want to say but these are keepers. Unfortunately, their first run of the RS1e seriously messed up the reputation of this headphone. It you can verify that the drivers are flush at this point in time I would think you would be in for a treat. Just my .02 cents

I know when they first came out in 2014, they protruded a lot. Then they were modified but still slightly protruding...almost flush but not completely flush. Is it completely flush now?
Hmm... so do they have treble like the GH1/2 or RS2e? If so I would love to hear it.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #38,478 of 65,481
[
I know when they first came out in 2014, they protruded a lot. Then they were modified but still slightly protruding...almost flush but not completely flush. Is it completely flush now?
Hmm... so do they have treble like the GH1/2 or RS2e? If so I would love to hear it.
I'm not completely sure if they are completely flush but I thought I saw or read that somewhere... When they installed mine, they are completely flush. Maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in? The GH2 and the RS1e are pretty similar...The GH2 has just a slightly better midrange but the bass is not near as deep or impactful as the RS1e. The treble on the RS1e is refined when compared to the RS2e, the treble on the RS is just so smooth and not harsh at all and it has deeper and more impactful bass. Of course, I think once you get to this price range...the differences in the their models begin to diminish but they are there....just may not be worth the price tag to some. Some days I prefer the GH2 and some days I prefer the RS1e...it is just a different flavor.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #38,479 of 65,481
[

I'm not completely sure if they are completely flush but I thought I saw or read that somewhere... When they installed mine, they are completely flush. Maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in? The GH2 and the RS1e are pretty similar...The GH2 has just a slightly better midrange but the bass is not near as deep or impactful as the RS1e. The treble on the RS1e is refined when compared to the RS2e, the treble on the RS is just so smooth and not harsh at all and it has deeper and more impactful bass. Of course, I think once you get to this price range...the differences in the their models begin to diminish but they are there....just may not be worth the price tag to some. Some days I prefer the GH2 and some days I prefer the RS1e...it is just a different flavor.

To my ears, I feel like the bass on the "e" series overpowers everything. I guess I'm in the minority who preferrred the bass quantity of past Grados.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #38,481 of 65,481
I see a lot of RS1e bashing....

I got my RS1i headphones repaired and while Grado had them i got the drivers changed out with the "e" drivers...... At first I was a little luke warm but after some serious burn in- and I mean pretty long....they went from pretty muddy and bassy to not a lot of bass to one of the smoothest headphones I have ever heard(I also own a PS1000 and GH-2). The treble and bass are prefect. It embodies everything I loved about the Rs1i but better. The treble on the "i" could be spiky sometimes and the bass didn't kick(impact) sometimes when you wanted it to but these babies deliver on all fronts. I own and have owned tons of Grado's, these are top notch. I have owned the RS2e and I prefer these more. I think the reason the RS1e sucked initially was the drivers were protruding....Mine are flush. I think they have fixed the problem but they are still getting a bad rap. I have owned the RS1 more times than I would want to say but these are keepers. Unfortunately, their first run of the RS1e seriously messed up the reputation of this headphone. It you can verify that the drivers are flush at this point in time I would think you would be in for a treat. Just my .02 cents
Did they change the cups too? It is physically impossible to put the Rs1e 50mm drivers into the old Rs1i cups. At least that's what Grado labs has told me in the past when my Gs1ki was in for repairs. Either way from your description they sound very interesting and I would also love to hear them one day.

Edit: can you post some pictures with the foams off? Just out of curiosity, what color paint did they use on the back of the driver magnet? Maybe they are quietly transitioning the Rs1e into something newer? (Just thinking out loud) :-D

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #38,482 of 65,481
My new GH2 has about 100h now and am absolutely loving it so it’s a keeper. Also getting to try a Sugden masterclass HA-4 class A headphone amp (wich I can hookup balanced to my Resolution Audio Cantata dac).

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #38,483 of 65,481
stopping by to say hey. i've been away from headphone listening for a while. picked up my 225i for the first time in probably 2 years. the pads crumbled as soon as i touched them.

I ordered a set of the Geekria replacements from amazon and they are great for half the price.

still one of my favorite combos.

IMG_20180812_072609_662.jpg

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #38,484 of 65,481
What’s the differences between rse1 and 2?

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #38,486 of 65,481
What is the vocal difference between GH2 and RS2e? Thanks.
vocals seem to be more in the middle of the headspace on the RS2e, whereas they tend to slightly shift to either the left or right side on the GH2. Female vocals sound a touch smoother on the RS2e, while male voices tend to sound deeper on the GH2.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #38,488 of 65,481
A comparison between the RS1e (fully flushed driver) and RS2e, especially in the treble area would be helpful. Like does the RS1e (flushed) sound like the RS2e but more refined or does the RS1e still suffer from recessed upper treble (like it has blown tweeter).

Should probably post this in RS1e impression thread to get more clarity.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #38,489 of 65,481
I listened to the RS2e compared to the RS1e and preferred it , I thought the 2 was a better value and one of the best sounding (to me ) phones in that price range and bought a pair right there on the spot. After a few weeks of using the Grados with the Massdrop O2 amp , which for $94 was a great bargain I was confident that the RS2e deserved a better amp.

I did the one thing I usually never do and bought a Rupert Neve RNHP amp sight unseen. I can say without reservation that it is a great pairing. The Neve is dead silent and seems to never run out of headroom. It is crystal clear , it unravels complex passages and also reveals spatial cues like nobody's business. I've used this amp with Beyer 911 and Senn ear buds and they sound much better driven by the Neve , but the Grado RS2e / Neve combo pairing is like they were made for each other. I have been up late many nights since picking these up.... money well spent.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #38,490 of 65,481
I listened to the RS2e compared to the RS1e and preferred it , I thought the 2 was a better value and one of the best sounding (to me ) phones in that price range and bought a pair right there on the spot. After a few weeks of using the Grados with the Massdrop O2 amp , which for $94 was a great bargain I was confident that the RS2e deserved a better amp.

I did the one thing I usually never do and bought a Rupert Neve RNHP amp sight unseen. I can say without reservation that it is a great pairing. The Neve is dead silent and seems to never run out of headroom. It is crystal clear , it unravels complex passages and also reveals spatial cues like nobody's business. I've used this amp with Beyer 911 and Senn ear buds and they sound much better driven by the Neve , but the Grado RS2e / Neve combo pairing is like they were made for each other. I have been up late many nights since picking these up.... money well spent.

So what were your thoughts on the RS1e compared to RS2e? And how recessed is the RS1e treble compared to the RS2e?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back